• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milano-Sanremo

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
No Ballan for Flanders and probably Roubaix! Big shame.

This year MSR is looking like it'll be a sprinter victory, as long as the teams can keep it under control though.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The latest I heard is that F. Schleck's out as well. He fell during a training ride and is injured (chin stitched and left wrist bruised)

CSC have a pretty strong team for SR I think with Kroon, Arvesen, O'Grady and Bresschel...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
It´s a pity, that World Champion Alessandro Ballan is not able to race those spring classic races. I would like to see him win Paris-Roubaix!

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
El Loto said:
No Ballan for Flanders and probably Roubaix! Big shame.

This year MSR is looking like it'll be a sprinter victory, as long as the teams can keep it under control though.

No Ballan and a half Cancellara for Roubaix? They might as well give the victory to Boonen without riding it. What a pitty.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
il_fiammingo said:
No Ballan and a half Cancellara for Roubaix? They might as well give the victory to Boonen without riding it. What a pitty.

Maybe. If Cancellara then works for O'Grady it may be interesting.

Zabel has been working with Cav all season, including twice riding the last 100k of this weekend's race with him.
http://www.velonews.com/article/89448/milan-san-remo-can-cavendish-get-over-the-poggio

Young Cav seems to be soaking it all in - which is great. I think you can clearly feel the difference in his tone (in the article), stating things like "I got the impression I can win it in the future, but maybe not this year..." and "Three hundred kilometers at 23 is a long way. MSR is one of the biggest races I the world and I have to show the respect it deserves".

Looking forward to seeing the fruits of Zabel's labor.

VeloGirl said:
Zabel has been working with Cav all season, including twice riding the last 100k of this weekend's race with him.
http://www.velonews.com/article/89448/milan-san-remo-can-cavendish-get-over-the-poggio

Young Cav seems to be soaking it all in - which is great. I think you can clearly feel the difference in his tone (in the article), stating things like "I got the impression I can win it in the future, but maybe not this year..." and "Three hundred kilometers at 23 is a long way. MSR is one of the biggest races I the world and I have to show the respect it deserves".

Good on him, I wonder whether he has the attributes to be an eventual P-R contender. In any case, I look forward to seeing if he can repeat his dominance at this year's TDF

I think Cav is a bit more Super Mario than he is Tom Boonen - so I am not sure he'll ever be one for the pave. I am sure he will feature in other one day races and sprint stages of GT stage races. I think we will be seeing a lot more of the Manx Express.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Wonder if Alan davis will figure on the podium? Working for Tom, but if he doesn't have the legs Davis might have a chance?

Good to see him back racing again.

VeloGirl said:

don't hold your breath.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I think it falls to which team is going to be able to dedicate themselves to one, and only one, rider for the win on the Via Roma (Though I think the actual finish is a few blocks away again this year).

For the heavy favorites:

LPR: Petacchi has Ongarato, Bernucci, and Bosisio who can be counted on to tow him to the line. The wildcard is DiLuca, who I think won't be able to resist taking a dig on the Poggio.

Liguigas: Bennati should be able to count on Basso, Nibali and Vanotti, with only Pellizotti to possibly take a flyer.

Quickstep: Boonen will have the numbers, and more importantly, the complete dedication of his team, to take the win. Tosatto is always dependable, as is Marco Velo (I'm sure Petacchi wonders how these guys could ever be working for someone else :) There's also Chavanel and Davis. Chav, I think, knows and accepts his role in the team. Davis, whom I believe finished 2nd in MSR a few years back, will provide a perfect leadout in the finale.

Of course, there's always Pozatto or Gilbert for a last minute flyer. But I don't think either has Cancellara's raw horsepower to make it stick.

So, I think the photo on the front page of Sundays Gazetta della Sport will be the same as the one from '06, with Petacchi's arms spread wide in disgust at taking 2nd, and Boonens thrust straight in the air, albeit, this time in first. You'll just need to photoshop Pozatto out of the frame entirely. :)

1- Boonen
2 - Petacchi
3 - Husholvd

Armstrong

These guys:

22 Assan Bazayev (Kaz)
23 Maxim Iglinskiy (Kaz)
24 Dmitriy Muravyev (Kaz)
26 Gr?gory Rast (Swi)
27 Michael Sch?r (Swi)
28 Tomas Vaitkus (Ltu)

Will keep Lance and Popo out of the wind until the Poggio, at which time Popo will kick it and launch the old geezer to a surprise Merckxian win.

TRENDING THREADS