• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
In the age of buying £50 tubs of powdered crap made in a laboratory called names like "pro formula plus" with a steroid-taking chest-shaved sunbed-using tosser on the label endorsing it, I'd just like to say - I love milk. Good old milk.

I'm thinking in the winter it will be cold enough to take chocolate milkshake in one bidon just to make the rides feel a bit less arduous.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
The list of things only humans do is pretty long, however many creatures drink cows milk when given the chance.

After all sustenance (not from a labratory) is sustenance. Many predators go crazy for eggs of any sort, and other creatures similarly go to great lengths to obtain honey. Milk is just not practical for any creature but ourselves. Nicely washed brain you've got there :p

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Ooooh this is going to go the way of the Vegetarian thread I just know it...

But FWIW I like nothing more than some coffee flavoured milk at the end of a long hard ride (56 grams of carbs, 24 of protein no less!). Much nicer than the powders and other recovery tonics etc (cheaper too).

That and my latte just doesn't taste right with soy. I have tried, I really have with soy milk (nearly a year with it).

Cow juice it is for me.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
milk is my number one source of protein i love the stuff i drink a gall of skim about every 2 days. it is a complete protein containing some whey and some caseinate one releasing aminos fast one releasing aminos slow. as a recovery drink its as good as most store bought proteins. add some honey and you get protein and a b-vitamin containing carb source which spikes insulin making recovery even more effective. the only thing better would be a disease free source of human milk which would contain hgh and other important compounds for human health.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
and also the only reason were the only species drinking another species milk is because were clever enough to source it. but rest assured almost all predatory mammals will partake given the chance offer your cat or dog some milk 9 times out of 10 there rather pleased.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
A glass of milk after a hard ride is good for you it provids proteine.
So whats wrong with the Capppaccenio after the bike ride. A large one so as to be equal to the full glass of milk.

Steampunk said:
We're the only species that drinks another species' milk.

Someone forgot to tell these tiger cubs.

050905_dogtigers.jpg

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Biciclette Bianchi said:
I've jumped on the "chocolate milk after a ride" bandwagon. It gives me carbs and protein and is tasty, to boot!

Dave

+1

I have a friend who is a sports nutritionist who works with a number of pro athletes and olympians in a number of codes ... Her advice for the best post-ride drink is chocolate milk. She tells me that from a nutritional standpoint it gives your body the ideal mix of carb, protein and fat - either post ride or just in general as a sports supplement drink. (Apparently most of what you take in through one of those fancy, pricey protein drinks gets donated to the local sewerage company after you've drunk it rather than being used by your body.)

Ain't it great when the simplest (and cheapest) things are the best??? :D

A

Anonymous

Naqtural affinity

My grandpa always used to say, "Milk is for babies and sick people." That said, as mammals we have a natural affinity for the stuff. Youghurt and cheese I can eat. A little cream in coffee is fine, but otherwise milk in any form, including ice cream, gives me a curdled, sour taste. I don't get sick from it, but I don't feel great either. I only noticed this after age 40....

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
That's the unfortunate thing about milk and dairy products. Many people are lactose/dairy intolerant.

Obviously, if you feel ill or get an upset stomache after consuming Milk, it's not the right solution for you.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
cromagnon said:
There is probably nothing in the average fridge that some inbred weakling somewhere is not allergic to.

That came out of left field. I was being a bit facetious with my first comment about milk-drinking being unnatural, but this comment goes over the line. I'm not lactose intolerant, but lactose intolerance is a lot more common than many other allergies out there. Inbred? Weakling? That's poor form.

There are plenty of studies that seem to suggest that the calcium in milk leaches vitamin D from the body (yes: I know that milk is a source of vitamin D, but folks who drink less milk often have higher vitamin D levels than those who drink several glasses of milk a day). Not a good thing. Also, there have been enough studies that suggest (nothing definitive) a link between milk and prostate cancer that I'm inclined to err on the side of caution.

A

Anonymous

lactose tolerance

The thread has grown cold, but here's something interesting and relevant. I read recently that evolutionary biologists figure that human adults only acquired a tolerance to lactose (milk) as recently as about 8000 years ago. That was in a fairly small population of Northern Europeans. Obviously developing a tolerance to milk drinking would be a great survival trait amoanimal herders. Point is: Lactose intolerance is the natural state and lactose tolerance is the un-natural state (if there is such a thing) Our Euro-centered world view tends to make all those Africans and Asians who can't / don't drink milk abnormal.

A

Anonymous

Tapeworm said:
The Maasai don't seem to have a problem with milk either.

Are they the ones who collect blood to drink from their cattle? The lactose in milk is a sugar which is changed by various enzymes, eg youghurt, cheese etc. making the milk product edible by many more adult human populations. So if the blood and milk are mixed, curdling the milk maybe the lactose has been altered. Expert input needed.

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Steampunk said:
We're the only species that drinks another species' milk.

That could be in part because other species do not have milking machines. I can never get my dog to put the cups on a cow but he certainly doesnt turn his nose up at drinking the stuff when he gets the chance.:D

A

Anonymous

Bagster said:
That could be in part because other species do not have milking machines. I can never get my dog to put the cups on a cow but he certainly doesnt turn his nose up at drinking the stuff when he gets the chance.:D

Or opposable (sp) thumbs which make it possible to firmly grasp the udder and extract milk "the old fashioned way".

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

I love milk and I can go through a gallon of milk by myself in a week. I buy fat free milk for me.I love it and when I'm eating something sweet is when I can drink up to 2-16oz. glasses in just one sitting. I hate it if I don't have any in the fridge and I have to go out and get some right away. My favourite treat with milk would have to be Chips AHOY or a Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich. Can't live without it because its so good for you too.

TRENDING THREADS