• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Millar on BBC about doping

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
2008885 said:
Blackcat - I'm still intrigued by your statement about Millars "cranial plates". What do you know about them exactly,and how do you know it?
Me too.

blackcat said:
sharpness of the brow ridge is a giveaway

Where has blackcat gone to? Still love to hear his explanation to his cranial plates theory.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Blackcat, I know you have been about and have read this thread so how about answering the questions above relating to the "sharp brow ridges" doping connection.

Once again looking forward to your reply thanks. :)

WD

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ripper said:
Ahh phrenology! I think that was most popular back a few centuries in determining which folks had those atavistic traits that would make them bad, bad people :eek: True science at its finest :p
we aint getting into eugenics here, smear all you like.

The salient factor is change. Not the last pic. If it changes. If it is good for Vaughters talking of he did not do that $hit cos it makes your head grow, and looking at Barry Bonds skull, you can tell, with a before and after.

Millar, difficult. The 30k mile seasons are catabolic, and all the non functional white and red intrafacial tissue atrophies.

folks got their natural bone structure. Baseline. Now if that changes, perhaps their is exogenous hormone supplementation. Or not.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/harvey-reveals-his-battle-with-brain-tumour-20100612-y4r2.html this person had no clinical illness until his pituitary gland started to excrete beyond normal level.
It also enlarged his hands, feet and nose, as well as his skull, brow and jaw

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
we aint getting into eugenics here, smear all you like.

The salient factor is change. Not the last pic. If it changes. If it is good for Vaughters talking of he did not do that $hit cos it makes your head grow, and looking at Barry Bonds skull, you can tell, with a before and after.

Millar, difficult. The 30k mile seasons are catabolic, and all the non functional white and red intrafacial tissue atrophies.

folks got their natural bone structure. Baseline. Now if that changes, perhaps their is exogenous hormone supplementation. Or not.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/harvey-reveals-his-battle-with-brain-tumour-20100612-y4r2.html this person had no clinical illness until his pituitary gland started to excrete beyond normal level.
Hi Blackcat, thanks for responding.

I am well aware of agromegaly and its some of its effects but that is very different to sharpening the brow line with exogenous HGH or the like. Although I am no expert in it by ANY means, I think it is more complex than just an excess of HGH though somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

It is also the case that athletes faces can appear differently with water retention and fat gain/loss. This is obviously reversible and will vary with time.

The bottom line is that I have not seen ANYTHING showing that facial structure can be changed with doping even with bodybuilders who are using extremely high quantities of HGH. If anyone does know for sure that changes to the facial bones can be made with doping I would genuinely love to hear from them.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
well, for staters, right on the acromegaly thing. But it does say that in the fairfax article, and if you see a bunch of MMA fighters, and the AFTER shots, they look a lot like Mark Harvey.

ofcourse, dead correct on fat and water. I should have been specific, re the white tissue. Well, I was specificall referring to ligament tendon cartiledge, and some subcutaneous, thin layer of fat. But should have been clear and specific, and separateed distinct forms as indivual tissue matter.

see the PM, and the actor (rapper) who did the Christian Bale transformation, and get back to me on that. There werre a few other instances, too.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ripper said:
Ahh phrenology! I think that was most popular back a few centuries in determining which folks had those atavistic traits that would make them bad, bad people :eek: True science at its finest :p

Yep - what you really want is 'reverse-phrenology' (which I think was invented by Terry Pratchett in one of his Guards novels.) Want to be a successful businessman? The reverse phrenologist hist you in the head with a hammer. Want to be a great cyclist? The reverse phrenologist hits you in.... you get the idea.. :D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
Yep - what you really want is 'reverse-phrenology' (which I think was invented by Terry Pratchett in one of his Guards novels.) Want to be a successful businessman? The reverse phrenologist hist you in the head with a hammer. Want to be a great cyclist? The reverse phrenologist hits you in.... you get the idea.. :D
well, the reverse phrenology thing, they did the ice-pic thru the frontal lobe for lobotomies in the early 20C for the mentally ill, and not even talking the third reich. It was common in some nascent psychiatric sanatoriums, for this method to be used. Just produced zombies in most cases.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
And he has denounced those who have named names.

Millar is an attention seeking fop. When he was caught his biggest regret was not the ban nor the money. It was losing his position as the darling of the UK cycling press. He found he could regain press coverage by reinventing himself as an anti-doping crusader. He piously castigates others for doing exactly what he did, but numerous statements of his paint a clear picture of one who is most concerned about the appearance of doping rather than the act of doping. To him and his Garmin team it is all about fooling the rubes who watch the sport. This is the guy who called Landis disgusting for telling the press what went on at Postal. If he was truly against doping then he would have been ecstatic.
remember what he had to say about the individual pursuiter and mediocre roadie Phillipe Gaumont.

Why is Millar the de facto go-to guy on this subject?

He's had a pretty pedestrian career post-dope, he's not a domestique, not a leader, and he was quickly eclipsed at his so-called speciality years ago.

As for his experience with doping, it seems like he's spent more time apologizing for his transgressions than actually transgressing or putting in quality rides after the fact.

He seems woefully out of the loop on the biggest doping subject in cycling, which took place right under his very nose with nary a peep that would lead to any type of controversy.

So...why is anything he says important on this subject?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
Why is Millar the de facto go-to guy on this subject?

He's had a pretty pedestrian career post-dope, he's not a domestique, not a leader, and he was quickly eclipsed at his so-called speciality years ago.

As for his experience with doping, it seems like he's spent more time apologizing for his transgressions than actually transgressing or putting in quality rides after the fact.

He seems woefully out of the loop on the biggest doping subject in cycling, which took place right under his very nose with nary a peep that would lead to any type of controversy.

So...why is anything he says important on this subject?

I agree. It is not like he did a Manzano and beared all. He did the minimum admittance and remained silent for years, now he is some kind of anti-doping know it all.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
I agree. It is not like he did a Manzano and beared all. He did the minimum admittance and remained silent for years, now he is some kind of anti-doping know it all.

Millar isnt anti-doping in an over all sense. Yes he might be there for younger riders and advice on why not to dope. The biggest service he could have given to cycling is to start the ball rolling on giving up the doctors , team managers and others involved in the whole mess. His silence on the issue is damning . On him and the sport.

Millars Interview Post Stage Win

Oh so it has taken Mr Millar 'squeaky Clean' to stand up for Sky and the dope bullying....in his interview he couldnt say the word clean enough times...we are clean and all us brits are clean...oh and cycling is clean...and dont forget I am Mr Clean.....mr Posh full of the usual posh tosh.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Well done David on todays stage, you had a JOB to do and you WORKed hard to get it but you did.
WORK.....JOB.
How many of those slagging you off in this thread would snitch, squeal, grass,dig out their boss, friends, workmates whiles still in their place of employment?
Get a grip people, he's still got to make a living and let the guy repent as much as he wants for his mistakes

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Millar

so yes MILLAR did get caught but never did too well but still doing okay but some riders or has been caught coming back even stronger??????????let be objective the LONDON OLYMPIC are here now so what ever the cost all English athlete has too perform at any cost you be surprised how many medals they are going too win you be shock ,but they all be clean even they do faster performance or bet OLYMPIC record ,secret??????????

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Reading this thread has been really positive for me because it just emphasizes just what a bunch of dicks you mostly are. Really a bunch of cretins who basically know **** all about cycling ans the context of the last 20 years. You come on talk **** and pontificate about things u clearly have no understanding of. U throw around insinuations, "connect the dots"and just sslag off people trying their best with no grounding whatsover. Just to be clear I'm talking about bottom feeders like the hog and brodeal who clearly hate all cyclist and presume anyone who wins is a doper. I presume ill be banned for this but quite honestly why should i care when all you do is hate and besmerch anyone u dont like. Ttfn this forum is quickly becoming irrelevant

PS sorry for typos

FignonLeGrand said:
Reading this thread has been really positive for me because it just emphasizes just what a bunch of dicks you mostly are. Really a bunch of cretins who basically know **** all about cycling ans the context of the last 20 years. You come on talk **** and pontificate about things u clearly have no understanding of. U throw around insinuations, "connect the dots"and just sslag off people trying their best with no grounding whatsover. Just to be clear I'm talking about bottom feeders like the hog and brodeal who clearly hate all cyclist and presume anyone who wins is a doper. I presume ill be banned for this but quite honestly why should i care when all you do is hate and besmerch anyone u dont like. Ttfn this forum is quickly becoming irrelevant

PS sorry for typos

i think you are creating the irrelevance;)

FignonLeGrand said:

PS sorry for typos

ana1.preview.jpg

TRENDING THREADS