• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

millar time

A

Anonymous

the truth. said:
a doper is a doper
but this doper got a future as a writer
i usually ignore the bloggs, especially basso's dull dull dull.
but

check out millar's CN blogg about the vuelta crash- mighty stuff
http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/david-millar/the-insiders-guide-to-crashes

he captures that second, the moment of silent- slow motion where you know it is going to hurt. if you have crashed, and we all have it -will ring a bell

if you dont normally read blogs read dave millars.. his are always superb..
they are all on the garmin website.. hes been doing them for years
http://www.slipstreamsports.com/category/millar-diaries

shame CN couldnt be bothered to link to them to be honest.. ;)

note: im not actually sure why this is in the clinic, in fact i notice it was moved to the clinic... WHY? housekeeping gone mad...?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
if you dont normally read blogs read dave millars.. his are always superb..
they are all on the garmin website.. hes been doing them for years
http://www.slipstreamsports.com/category/millar-diaries

shame CN couldnt be bothered to link to them to be honest.. ;)

note: im not actually sure why this is in the clinic, in fact i notice it was moved to the clinic... WHY? housekeeping gone mad...?

The word 'doper' was used thrice!!! in the OP. :eek::eek::eek:
Clinic time.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
"Anyway, as bad as it was for us, at least we weren’t the Andalucía - Cajasur team, who have probably been living in hell these last few days. I doubt many of them have ever set foot in Holland or Belgium, let alone raced here. Whitey was telling us that he reckons almost their whole team hit the deck at one point or another yesterday. Either that or it was the same guy nine times."

:D

A

Anonymous

Cobblestones said:
The word 'doper' was used thrice!!! in the OP. :eek::eek::eek:
Clinic time.

personally i think thats anal.. this isnt a doping thread.. :/

july blog... (highlights)

About 30km into the stage today, Fabian Cancellera (aka: Swiss Bear, Spartacus, Big Baby, Freak…) pulled up beside me, sat up and reached inside the front of his jersey while shouting in his loud cheery way, ‘Millar! I have a present for you!’ This was the conclusion to what had been the most-wacky first 30 kilometres I’ve done in any race..........

......There was no sign of Christian. On leaving the town we were rolling through, there was a big inflatable arch across the road bidding us farewell. As I approached it at now walking pace it began to deflate. Still no sign of Christian…

I increased my speed a little in order to make it through the now half-collapsed arch and came to a stop a couple of hundred metres on the other side and watched in complete awe as riders unclipped and pushed their way through the deflated arch. Just when it seemed the arch was going to completely block the road it started to inflate again. Odd to say the least! ......

.....It was at this point that Fabian pulled up next to me, way more calm than one would expect considering the circumstances and gave me my present. He had been in the mass pile up as well, but behind me, and in all the confusion I hadn’t noticed my Garmin Edge 705 had been knocked off my bike.

Fabian had seen it laying in the middle of the road, and recounted to me how while getting going again he’d seen it and had slammed on his brakes, done a full U-turn ridden back in the opposite direction to everybody and everything and picked it up for me and U-turned once again in the grass next to the road before setting off again. He was very pleased with himself, and I have to admit I was very pleased with him too. I gave the Swiss Bear a big hug while we were still chasing just because I thought it was the loveliest thing!

aint cancellara a sweetie.. :D

http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2009/07/15/the-millar-diaries-just-plain-crazy

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
I've only started reading Millar's blog in the last week or so, in the build up to the Vuelta. I'm liking it a lot. The guy certainly has some talent as a writer, which should bode well for his career post-cycling. I especially enjoyed his account of a couple of little exchanges with Tom Boonen in the Low Countries the other day.

I don't recall ever having seen him interviewed but am already wondering if he may have the media savvy to be a TV pundit one day?

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Sean Kelly needed a lot of work as a pundit and I really enjoy his commentary now, from the days of saying very very incessantly maybe I've just gotten used to him.

Millar would be an insightful and diligent pundit, the Martin Brundell of cycling.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
the truth. said:
a doper is a doper
but this doper got a future as a writer
i usually ignore the bloggs, especially basso's dull dull dull.
but

check out millar's CN blogg about the vuelta crash- mighty stuff
http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/david-millar/the-insiders-guide-to-crashes

he captures that second, the moment of silent- slow motion where you know it is going to hurt. if you have crashed, and we all have it -will ring a bell

I agree with you, this is a very entertaining diary, be it tales from the peloton or even skeeter huntin'. I give Basso a break though, it's either translated or it's an effort in a second language.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
yes ivan's is very polite and sincere, he is italian, so english is not his first language. david miller, being english, is a very good and clever writer. and if
you can get a proofreader, so much the better.

There may be around 8 million Scots that take exception to the bolded ;)

A

Anonymous

Funny read. I think he will make a great commentator in the future if he wants to do that.

usedtobefast said:
yes ivan's is very polite and sincere, he is italian, so english is not his first language. david miller, being english, is a very good and clever writer. and if
you can get a proofreader, so much the better.

We don't have a lot of pros from Scotland so we tend to hang onto them,David Millar is not English.

And Ozzie2 I've spoken to a few Aussies and have been assured that they don't view us as "poms" that is reserved for our English neighbours.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I used to read his blog all the time of itsmillartime.com, but the site disappeared around the time of his ban, and hasn't made a comeback since.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I am an Aussie and definitely do not consider Scots or anyone other than the English as Poms. I must say I had a chuckle to myself when attending a Wallabies v Scotland rugby union match a while back and they played Scotland's de facto national anthem "Flower of Scotland" - it was all about Scotland defeating the Poms in battle way back in the early 1300s. Was this the only time the Scots have beaten the Poms? :D

elapid said:
I am an Aussie and definitely do not consider Scots or anyone other than the English as Poms. I must say I had a chuckle to myself when attending a Wallabies v Scotland rugby union match a while back and they played Scotland's de facto national anthem "Flower of Scotland" - it was all about Scotland defeating the Poms in battle way back in the early 1300s. Was this the only time the Scots have beaten the Poms? :D

Of course not.Thats only the most famous of our victories, far be it from me to bring this up on a cycling board but we did have a rather famous sporting victory over them in 1967 ;)
And even a huge country like the USA has an anthem about a victory over the "poms" so we are not alone in that.
And to bring it back round to be relevent I'd love to hear our anthem sounding around Paris at the end of the Tour some day.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Weeman said:
Of course not.Thats only the most famous of our victories, far be it from me to bring this up on a cycling board but we did have a rather famous sporting victory over them in 1967 ;)
And even a huge country like the USA has an anthem about a victory over the "poms" so we are not alone in that.

I'd bet there's a lot of anthems that make at least some reference to fighting the English :)

And to bring it back round to be relevent I'd love to hear our anthem sounding around Paris at the end of the Tour some day.

They'd probably play God Save the Queen unfortunately...

A

Anonymous

RhodriM said:
I'd bet there's a lot of anthems that make at least some reference to fighting the English :)

They'd probably play God Save the Queen unfortunately...

sadly they would.. trouble is, most scots no except the rugby and football fans, dont know the words to flower past the chorus.. :(

Weeman said:
We don't have a lot of pros from Scotland so we tend to hang onto them,David Millar is not English.

And Ozzie2 I've spoken to a few Aussies and have been assured that they don't view us as "poms" that is reserved for our English neighbours.

in texas, where i grew up ...what the hell is a pom? and sorry if i thought david miller was english, in that he was world champion for England. my family on my mothers side is Scots/Irish. :eek:
sheese...

A

Anonymous

usedtobefast said:
in texas, where i grew up ...what the hell is a pom? and sorry if i thought david miller was english, in that he was world champion for England. my family on my mothers side is Scots/Irish. :eek:
sheese...

he was world champion for britain...

youre getting into very dangerous territorary.. bashing the aussies is one thing, laughing at germans is fine, but calling scots english... whoooaa

May 15, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
he was world champion for britain...

youre getting into very dangerous territorary.. bashing the aussies is one thing, laughing at germans is fine, but calling scots english... whoooaa

I had a Canadian flatmate who really couldn't get this. He thought that the Welsh/Scots/Irish were English but not British.

I forgave him because he was an idiot.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I read his blog once, the day before the Vuelta started, where he spoke of the boredom of hanging around waiting for the race. He captured it beautifully as I really was bored, but I did like the excert quoted with Cancellera.

Now, being a Scot I have to point out, there are only 5 million of us, not 8 million. But that might be a little pedantic.

As an adopted Hong Konger, I also have to point out that there are alot of of Hong Kongers who consider him one of theirs given his previous residence in the territory.

TRENDING THREADS