• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Millar whinging on doping ban for Olympics!

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
So maybe Millar/JV are wasting their time (and ours) with this changing the sport from within, if they are really doing what they say are, and should be getting the police involved. Maybe a police force will come on board as a sponsor of the team.:D

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
So maybe Millar/JV are wasting their time (and ours) with this changing the sport from within, if they are really doing what they say are, and should be getting the police involved. Maybe a police force will come on board as a sponsor of the team.:D
Guess who agrees with you (kind of)?

“In fact cycling has always been ‘saved’ by judicial investigations and not by the anti-doping controls we put in place. That’s the harsh truth. We have relied on them to clean the sport up.

“Look at the facts. My own doping was uncovered by a French police investigation into my team, Cofidis. Operation Puerto was a massive undercover operation by the Spanish Police.

“The Festina Drug ring was unmasked in 1998 by vigilant customs officers making a drug bust and now the investigation into US Postal and Lance is being headed up by the FDA.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/lancearmstrong/8560085/David-Millar-attacks-Tour-de-France-legend-Lance-Armstrong-and-says-drugs-probe-is-a-shadow-on-the-sport.html

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Ummm... Millar is acknowledging that change has been forced from without, not 'spouting on' about change coming from within. In any case, surely it is obvious that lasting change can only come from within.

I would have more faith in Millar but for the fact that he is telling us we should believe in Frodo, Wiggins and Dertie. This is the same Millar who had no problem telling us to believe in Vino or Piepoli.

This is the same David Millar who made some horrific comments about Landis after Landis spoke out against Armstrong.

Millar is the poster boy for omerta and his protestations about being anti-doping are just PR bull****.

The man is a liar and a ****. He always has been and he always will. The sooner he ****s off the better.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:
Ummm... Millar is acknowledging that change has been forced from without, not 'spouting on' about change coming from within. In any case, surely it is obvious that lasting change can only come from within.

better research his ownership of the 'holy garmin/cervelo' and its myth perpetuated that it sails in clean waters with clean winds.....

Lasting change comes from within but not from Millar. See his attitude to Landis, part of the change that must come is former dopers telling it how it is and not being condemned by people like Millar but being embraced.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Millar has undoubtedly said some foolish things, particularly about Landis last year. However, that doesn't mean he is necessarily an evil man or that Garmin is just a huge PR conspiracy. I've never seen any evidence of the latter.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:
Millar has undoubtedly said some foolish things, particularly about Landis last year. However, that doesn't mean he is necessarily an evil man or that Garmin is just a huge PR conspiracy. I've never seen any evidence of the latter.

no Millar is not evil, but he's not spitting in the soup either now is he? Garmin is built on the new era of clean cycling. How many times have we heard that since the Festina scandal?:rolleyes:

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Yep which makes what JV/Millar spout on about change from within a complete mockery. Its all bollox from them and they know it but have gone for the 'clean team' angle to sell themselves.

But do they "spout" on about a change from within?

DM/JV have certainly mentioned effecting changes from within their own team - which as I have often said is the only thing he can control - that is very different from effecting a change within the sport, which they have little control over.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
The problem with expecting riders to 'spit in the soup' is that this very often results in the end of their own career (see Kohl, Jaksche).

Re: Garmin, each case should be judged on its own merits. Just because there have been other teams that have claimed to be clean and haven't been doesn't automatically mean that Garmin are the same.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
But do they "spout" on about a change from within?

DM/JV have certainly mentioned effecting changes from within their own team - which as I have often said is the only thing he can control - that is very different from effecting a change within the sport, which they have little control over.

http://www.slipstreamsports.com/200...a-news-vaughters-determined-to-clean-up-sport

:rolleyes:

article not available through the link, but Slipstream are happy enough with the headline ;)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
which as i said :) slipstream seem happy to repeat, but not link the article.:rolleyes:
As I said - it was the publication who wrote the headline - to alter it would be extremely bad form.

The article is from 2008 -and often when sites upgrade they lose the links to original articles - which appears to be what happened with VoANews as it comes up with this error:
The URL was typed incorrectly, the page has moved or is no longer available. For incorrectly linked articles or features, please email Voanews@Voanews.com. We appreciate your help.

Benotti69 said:
which as i said :) slipstream seem happy to repeat, but not link the article.:rolleyes:

That sums up Garmin, Vaughters and Millar. It's all about the positive headline 'perception matters more than reality' rather than the substance.

If you say you are anti-doping then that is enough for some people, actually being anti-doping and doing something to clean up the sport is a whole other thing.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
That sums up Garmin, Vaughters and Millar. It's all about the positive headline 'perception matters more than reality' rather than the substance.
Again - Garmin, Millar or JV did not write the article or the headline.

Mrs John Murphy said:
If you say you are anti-doping then that is enough for some people, actually being anti-doping and doing something to clean up the sport is a whole other thing.
Garmin/Millar/JV cannot on their own clean up the sport (nor have they said that is what they are doing).

All any of them can do is be responsible for their own team.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
What we really need is for Vaughters/Millar to come on here and start making snide comments about other teams and riders, without actually backing those comments up with any evidence other than 3 year-old magazine headlines. Then we'll see some real progress towards cleaning up the sport.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
As I said - it was the publication who wrote the headline - to alter it would be extremely bad form.

<snip>

It is standard for the media to go for sensational headlines that do not convey anything close to the real thrust of the article and can be very misleading.

But as the journalists do not write the headlines, sub editors do. it would not be bad form at all to not use the headline. But 'as i said' Slipstream seem happy to use it and give the impression that they are changing the sport.:rolleyes:

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
It is standard for the media to go for sensational headlines that do not convey anything close to the real thrust of the article and can be very misleading.

But as the journalists do not write the headlines, sub editors do. it would not be bad form at all to not use the headline. But 'as i said' Slipstream seem happy to use it and give the impression that they are changing the sport.:rolleyes:

True about the media and 'sensational' or inaccurate headlines. True that it is done by the editing staff.
False that you then change the headline. That isn't even acceptable here on a forum.

Again - nothing in the linked article suggested Garmin were looking to change the sport from within. As I have said Garmin JV etc are only responsible for what they can control which is their own team.

Dr. Maserati said:
Again - Garmin, Millar or JV did not write the article or the headline.

Garmin/Millar/JV cannot on their own clean up the sport (nor have they said that is what they are doing).

All any of them can do is be responsible for their own team.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You would say that wouldn't you. Shame you missed the ****ing point again.

You are to Vaughters what Polish, flicker and BPC are to Armstrong.

Don't bother replying because I'm not really interested in your vaughters fawning and apologia.

Duratista - why? All it needs is for someone to speak out against doping and Millar will be there making snide comments about them, or Vaughters will be giving it the old 'I am doing things but I can't tell you BS' which if it were anyone other than Vaughters most people would say 'bull****'. Vaughters claims are like the boy in the playground who claims his dad is actually a spy, but he can't talk about it.

Let me guess, Vaughters has done too much good for the sport to be challenged and criticised.

Vaughters is a snake oil salesman. Its a shame that people are so gullible as to buy into it.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Yeah, yeah, yeah. You would say that wouldn't you. Shame you missed the ****ing point again.

You are to Vaughters what Polish, flicker and BPC are to Armstrong.

Don't bother replying because I'm not really interested in your vaughters fawning and apologia.

Duratista - why? All it needs is for someone to speak out against doping and Millar will be there making snide comments about them, or Vaughters will be giving it the old 'I am doing things but I can't tell you BS' which if it were anyone other than Vaughters most people would say 'bull****'. Vaughters claims are like the boy in the playground who claims his dad is actually a spy, but he can't talk about it.

Let me guess, Vaughters has done too much good for the sport to be challenged and criticised.

Vaughters is a snake oil salesman. Its a shame that people are so gullible as to buy into it.
I know you would prefer that I don't reply - as you would be able to hold your ignorant view.

As I have pointed out before (and you ignore) I have started threads being critical of JV and have taken him and his team to task for things that they control.

Unlike you - I can judge and be critical of JV/Garmin for things that they are responsible for.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I know you would prefer that I don't reply - as you would be able to hold your ignorant view.

As I have pointed out before (and you ignore) I have started threads being critical of JV and have taken him and his team to task for things that they control.

Unlike you - I can judge and be critical of JV/Garmin for things that they are responsible for.

we heard the story before with Obama, thats a vote I will never get back.

JV is the Obama of cycling. Gives a good speech, talks big, epic fail in practice.

No, just find it very tedious getting into it with a fanboy. Life is too short and you are too boring. Like I don't deal with Flicker, Polish et al for the same reasons. But never mind, I am sure someone will be impressed by your use of bold and ability to use the quote feature.

As for Vaughters, when he and Millar actually do more than talk the talk then I'll be impressed. Until then they are just bull**** artists and upholders of omerta with better PR than Armstrong.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
we heard the story before with Obama, thats a vote I will never get back.

JV is the Obama of cycling. Gives a good speech, talks big, epic fail in practice.

No - McQuaid "is the Obama of cycling. Gives a good speech, talks big, epic fail in practice".

JV - is the Obama of Garmin. Gives a good speech, talks big, but the Trent Lowe incident shows that there was major failings within his team.

TRENDING THREADS