• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Minority riders in the peloton

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I don't mean for example in the Tour de France where we have a rider from New Zealand taking part and that he is in the minority compared to the French, Italians, Spanish etc., but a rider like Djamolidine Abdoujaparov, a rider from Uzbekistan and is also a Muslim. Or Fumy Beppu and Arashiro, both Japanese and both started and finished the TdF last year.

Another one is Rafaâ Chtioui, who has signed for Acqua e Sapone, who is from Tunisia and is also a Muslim. He came 2nd in the Junior World Road Race in 2004 in Verona, with Roman Kreuziger the winner and Simon Špilak.

So for the sake of it, I want to keep it to Europe, but feel free to add other continents if you wish.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Muslim does not make you a minority . Muslim is not a race.

He didn't specify "racial minority", as far as I can tell :)

In the peloton (certainly not in the world as a whole) muslim riders are a minority

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
There was a Rwandan lad called Adrien Niyonshuti turned out for MTN-Energade at the Tour of Ireland last. It was his first race in Europe, possibly the first race from a Rwandan in pro European competition. There were a few good articles on him, and his route there. He was mad popular in the country with the casual spectators, not least because he lost six brothers in 1994. I think that he might have been one of the very last to abandon to his dismay on the last lap.

Good - if short - article here.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Rony Martias of Bouygues, probably the only black rider active in the European peleton right now. A couple of months ago there was a thread about a African-American rider, Rahsaan Bahati, but as I recall he mainly rode in the US and not in Europe.

Bouygues didn't renew Martias' contract. They did however renew the contract of Yohan Genè

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Not road racing, but there are some Mongolians in CX right now.
They also had some guys from Zimbabwe a couple of years ago as part of a TV-show, but I'm not sure what PR-stunt brought the Mongolians here. Has something to do with Museeuw.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Bahati had to start his own team.Based on his foundation. On a million to 1 ratio he has not caught the crap that the omnipresent Texas has suffered.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
This is a really stupid thread. Almost anyone except inbred UK islanders are a mixture of many races. Unless you're taking an isolated Kenyan or Inuit and training him specifically to race bicycles you can't even trace the genetic effects. Stupid.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
This is a really stupid thread. Almost anyone except inbred UK islanders are a mixture of many races. Unless you're taking an isolated Kenyan or Inuit and training him specifically to race bicycles you can't even trace the genetic effects. Stupid.

Isn't Tom Danielson 1/4 Inuit? Hence why the gluten free diet means he gains 5 kilos mid Tour whilst racing for GC. To those who missed this pearler last year, drop Vaughters and Lim a line.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:

Tom Danielson????

EDIT: too slow.........Just like Tom

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Not road racing, but there are some Mongolians in CX right now.
They also had some guys from Zimbabwe a couple of years ago as part of a TV-show, but I'm not sure what PR-stunt brought the Mongolians here. Has something to do with Museeuw.

compared to the Zimbabwians the Mongolians actually are pretty good racers ... they race top level in Asia

Johan actually wanted to help out this guys & try to promote cycling in their country

A

Anonymous

Kind of new to this stuff

Oldman said:

I'm just learning, but this is what you mean by a "troll" isn't it? Insults, being off-topic, numerous poorly thought out and incorrect statements, ungrammatical and badly constructed sentences would seem to be the clues. I also read somewhere that normal people are supposed to ignore the "trolls". It that right?

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
In the women's peloton, the Chirio team in Italy has had quite a lot of ethnic-minority riders. There are the sisters Marcia, Clemilda, Janildes and Uenia Fernandes (although I think Janildes and Clemilda are back in Brazil now - they aren't registered with the UCI for this year, anyway) plus Adriana Lovera. They also had Daniely García and Karelia Machado, although I'm not sure either of them ever raced in Europe.

Miho Oki had a few good seasons with various European teams.

Judith Arndt and Petra Rossner are the only two LGBT riders of either gender I can think of off the top of my head, although there may be a lot more who simply aren't big names or live fairly private lives.