• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Minsk World Championships

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
esafosfina said:
It's not the Indiv Pursuit but the 3000m team is now becoming a 4000m team pursuit with I believe four riders. What sort of times will be done 4.20mark?

The GB team - Trott, King, Barker, Rowsell - should be untouchable for a few years - no other team has anything like the depth - Storey and Houvenaghal would have walked into any other national team on the planet and improved it.

If USA could round up a few girls to help the Hammer it would certainly make it more interesting.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
horsinabout said:
I take your point with the Germans' men and women. It is more likely cultural i.e.they train in different ways to GB women/men and select shorter stocky body types because culturally they believe this makes better sprinters etc.... Their size though, in my view, is not the only factor in alleged doping....the speed of the 200m time trial that the women are now doing is a far greater prediction, and takes away nationality bias/body type predudice of doping too (the women's200m times at sea level are now at 10.7 this is seriously fast. I will say that Becky James is a very big girl, but much taller than the German Vogal, so doesn't look as big, but she is big.

The Germans believe in 'Thighs', hard training and power over cadence - why wouldn't they, it's almost always right - Pendleton was the exception that proved the rule. Think of Hoy in his pomp, or Levy or Bauge, or even Meares. Itmakes all sorts of sense. Pendleton isn't the prototype, she's the outlier.

James is huge thighed, but hides it well

From a year or two ago:

3160689-pic8_220_345.jpg

or an even better comparison

20091021_national_track_sprint_podium_500.jpg

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
martinvickers said:
The Germans believe in 'Thighs', hard training and power over cadence - why wouldn't they, it's almost always right - Pendleton was the exception that proved the rule. Think of Hoy in his pomp, or Levy or Bauge, or even Meares. Itmakes all sorts of sense. Pendleton isn't the prototype, she's the outlier.

James is huge thighed, but hides it well.

I thought Becky James was looking much more like Queen Vic in build (albeit taller) than previously. She's a lot thinner now than in your pictures, which are a couple of years old.

Lovely looking lady, it must be said.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
esafosfina said:
It's not the Indiv Pursuit but the 3000m team is now becoming a 4000m team pursuit with I believe four riders. What sort of times will be done 4.20mark?

Men's individ. 4:11 team pursuit 3:52

Women's individ 3:22 team pursuit 3:14

est. Women's ( 4:27 ) (4:17)

Don't forget acceleration to average speed still takes the same time.

Compare:
Men's 3k individ Masters ( 3:22-3:25) almost same time as women's team.

My estimate would be 4:17

I would want to be at the next world cup race and try to set the world record, even just for a month till the next cup race.

martinvickers said:
The GB team - Trott, King, Barker, Rowsell - should be untouchable for a few years - no other team has anything like the depth - Storey and Houvenaghal would have walked into any other national team on the planet and improved it.

If USA could round up a few girls to help the Hammer it would certainly make it more interesting.

Seeing Hammer drag that team around on her own is a sight to behold. Phenomenal athlete. Really pleased she won the Omnium. And a surprisingly frank admission from Trott that 'she just doesn't know' how to ride the points race. Imagine it's quite a tricky discipline to train for?

Shane Sutton has confirmed that the Ed Clancy experiment in the sprint team won't be continued, thank God :)

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
postmanhat said:
Seeing Hammer drag that team around on her own is a sight to behold. Phenomenal athlete. Really pleased she won the Omnium. And a surprisingly frank admission from Trott that 'she just doesn't know' how to ride the points race. Imagine it's quite a tricky discipline to train for?

Note the US and Irish pooled resources this week - result? three golds and a silver from just two riders.

BBC did an interview with Trott post-omnium, kept saying she was "super happy" to have won a medal - it was the most obvious lie I've ever seen; she was clearly absolutely seething. God help J Kenny that night.

I think the competitive fire in Trott is a force of bl**dy nature. barring amputation, she's gonna rack up titles like a Mercx. I honestly think only Hammer can truly live with her.

As for points race - Trott should simply have shadowed Hammer like a leech, and used her wheel for a sprint or two - neutralise the Hammer threat rather than try and win the event itself.

Shane Sutton has confirmed that the Ed Clancy experiment in the sprint team won't be continued, thank God :)

Clancy was insurance in case UCI brought back the Kilo for 2016 - we know now that won't happen. Clancy was born to Kilo. but they REALLY need him for Pursuit, which is in danger of becoming, oddly, their weakest team event, especially if they can sort out Varnish - Williamson is no Man One. GB would really love UCI to make women's sprint a three; the depth would come into play...

Have to say, Becky james is something else - meares will need a new voodoo doll!!

martinvickers said:
Note the US and Irish pooled resources this week - result? three golds and a silver from just two riders.

BBC did an interview with Trott post-omnium, kept saying she was "super happy" to have won a medal - it was the most obvious lie I've ever seen; she was clearly absolutely seething. God help J Kenny that night.

I think the competitive fire in Trott is a force of bl**dy nature. barring amputation, she's gonna rack up titles like a Mercx. I honestly think only Hammer can truly live with her.

As for points race - Trott should simply have shadowed Hammer like a leech, and used her wheel for a sprint or two - neutralise the Hammer threat rather than try and win the event itself.

Clancy was insurance in case UCI brought back the Kilo for 2016 - we know now that won't happen. Clancy was born to Kilo. but they REALLY need him for Pursuit, which is in danger of becoming, oddly, their weakest team event, especially if they can sort out Varnish - Williamson is no Man One. GB would really love UCI to make women's sprint a three; the depth would come into play...

Have to say, Becky james is something else - meares will need a new voodoo doll!!

The TP depth will get worse especially with Newton insisting on two years off the road for guys like Wiggins, Kennaugh, Swift and Cav.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
There were a number of seething comments on one of the women's races on the you tube UCI channel. All directed at one of the Chinese riders,I think day 4.

Anybody know what happened? And what race, so that I can go back and watch??

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
purcell said:
There were a number of seething comments on one of the women's races on the you tube UCI channel. All directed at one of the Chinese riders,I think day 4.

Anybody know what happened? And what race, so that I can go back and watch??

the crashes did not make it onto tv as they were in early qualifying

but basically GUO of china caused i think 3 fairly serious crashes and ended up with a DQ from the keirin for causing yet another crash in a qualifying race

eurosport announcer suggested she take some time off racing to learn how to ride a bike!

it was pretty nasty but out of all the women's sprinters she is their tyler farrar. nobody wants to be near her because she cannot ride in a straight line, looks like she is fighting the bike even at 30 km/h.

and as for becky james, not bad. but look at the competition, where were all the other sprinters? meares, shulika, krupeckaitė all presumably having the post olympic break, pendleton is gone, was baranova there? not sure. jess varnish, is she still around? wasnt there. it was not really a strong field. dont get me wrong you cant just rock up and win a world champ jersey but there was not a whole lot of competition there for her.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
barn yard said:
and as for becky james...where were all the other sprinters?

Vogel, Guo and Lee were all there, and they've been at the sharp end for a few years now.

Sub 11s in qualifying doesn't happen very often at sea-level, so Becky's qualifying run is an indicator of genuine quality and she's long since been noted as a canny racer/tactician.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
del1962 said:
Not suprised could not even get riders names right in olympic road race.

Not entirely his fault; apparently OBS insisted on doing all the road race coverage without help, and completely messed it up.