• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Missing link 10 -11 speed chain

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
The new - old technology of the missing link that went out with the 5 speed rear mech in 1960's
Get rid of it and find a way to rivit the chain if you dont have a rivit get someone to make one the missing link has been nothing but problems since 10 speed was invented. How many failed back 10 years ago when someone dreamed up the new method. 6000 km use a chain splitter and get rid of the chain before it gets rid of the cassett.
Brian

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Use the missing link, keep a good chain to go with your racing wheels and you will prolong the life of your expensive cassette.

Clean and lube after every race, put back on the shelf.

Use a cheaper chain on everyday bike and renew as soon as it hits the limit using chain stretch gauge.

The missing link makes it easy to strip the chain off once a week and give it a good clean.

I've never had a missing link fail, but check how many broken C11 chains occur - poor riveting anyone?

- and I dont have to splash out on a few hundred $ for a Campag tool.

As yet though, I haven't seen an 11 speed one, but I am still on 10 - so who cares?

PS - the word is rivet

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
The instruction manaual on them things tell you not to re use the missing link.
But agree clean well lubed chain and replace often.
My self still 10 speed user.

davidg said:
Use the missing link, keep a good chain to go with your racing wheels and you will prolong the life of your expensive cassette.

Use a cheaper chain on everyday bike and renew as soon as it hits the limit using chain stretch gauge.

The missing link makes it easy to strip the chain off once a week and give it a good clean.

I've never had a missing link fail, but check how many broken C11 chains occur - poor riveting anyone?

As yet though, I haven't seen an 11 speed one, but I am still on 10 - so who cares?

PS - the word is rivet

davidg said:

PS - the word is rivet

Wipperman says a 11s chain, with a snap link is close. We have installed many 11s chains, with the tool, and haven't seen any problems, none broken.
Sram just recalled some of their 10s snap links, BTW. And the 7900 link is seeing a 'soft' recall.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Wipperman says a 11s chain, with a snap link is close. We have installed many 11s chains, with the tool, and haven't seen any problems, none broken.
When properly installed, they do seem to be holding up pretty well. But a snap link would be nice.

Bustedknuckle said:
Sram just recalled some of their 10s snap links, BTW. And the 7900 link is seeing a 'soft' recall.
The Sram links recalled have the letter M or N on them. I don't think Shimano actually did a recall, they simply went with a different design, thankfully.