• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moderation

Did you protest the overly lengthy ban of @railxmig?
Hahaha, nah I quit. There were a couple of things that tipped the balance, but mainly I was fed up of signing into the site and having loads of reports to deal with. It was a vicious cycle. I was spending all my time dealing with reports, which meant I wasn't posting as part of the community, which then meant it took me longer to go through each report because there was invariably a back story.

Mods should be part of the community they moderate and it became clear to me that I wasn't really that person anymore, and the only way that could change would be if I was no longer a mod.

I was wondering whether you could need me as a moderator - not sure I'm suitable, but maybe the forum could use another mod to help, so I thought I'd ask whether you think you need an addition and if yes, what that person should bring to the table.

Hahaha, nah I quit. There were a couple of things that tipped the balance, but mainly I was fed up of signing into the site and having loads of reports to deal with. It was a vicious cycle. I was spending all my time dealing with reports, which meant I wasn't posting as part of the community, which then meant it took me longer to go through each report because there was invariably a back story.

Mods should be part of the community they moderate and it became clear to me that I wasn't really that person anymore, and the only way that could change would be if I was no longer a mod.
Yeah, it's an unfortunate dynamic that has played out several times over the years. When it's primarily a voluntary effort, it's quite difficult to balance that aspect you mention and the right amount of active moderation needed to maintain practise and coordination between the volunteers.

It doesn't help when mods get crap when just being a poster, as if their voluntary work was relevant in a discussion about riders. (And I think it only makes sense to hold mods to a higher standard as posters if there is plenty of voluntary supply)

Lol, well I guess haven't shown exemplary patience and maturity in the past. :tearsofjoy:
Ignoring politics and such has not been my strong side. But maybe I could help out with some easier tasks, like erasing spam or placing threads in other parts of the forum.
Maybe, though, there are also other volunteers.
I have no idea how much work there really is to do, your posts sound like it's a lot. In the off-season of course the forum is almost dead, but at high times I suppose two mods are just not enough for a forum of this size.

Yeah, it's an unfortunate dynamic that has played out several times over the years. When it's primarily a voluntary effort, it's quite difficult to balance that aspect you mention and the right amount of active moderation needed to maintain practise and coordination between the volunteers.

It doesn't help when mods get crap when just being a poster, as if their voluntary work was relevant in a discussion about riders. (And I think it only makes sense to hold mods to a higher standard as posters if there is plenty of voluntary supply)
That definitely doesn't help, and while I've been fairly immune from that recently, that could well be due to the fact I essenitally had to stop posting to do moderation. I would even stop myself getting involved in conversations because I knew I wouldn't be able to follow up and engage. I think when the mods are volunteers derived from the community good moderation and moderators are able to hold everyone, including themselves to the same standard. If it were a paid position then I think they should be held to a higher standard, but that's not the case here.

Reactions: jmdirt
Lol, well I guess haven't shown exemplary patience and maturity in the past. :tearsofjoy:
Ignoring politics and such has not been my strong side. But maybe I could help out with some easier tasks, like erasing spam or placing threads in other parts of the forum.
Maybe, though, there are also other volunteers.
I have no idea how much work there really is to do, your posts sound like it's a lot. In the off-season of course the forum is almost dead, but at high times I suppose two mods are just not enough for a forum of this size.
The fact I don't recognise your username (is this a new account by any chance?) but I will have been involved in moderating you if you have been moderated since joining, probably says everything about the position I was in and why I felt the need to stop.

My honest opinion is that anyone who really wants to be a mod probably isn't the right person to do it. I started because they needed someone who could understand some of the issues with misrepresentation in the clinic. I didn't really want to do it, but felt like I was someone who could and therefore probably should step up.

The amount of stuff to do certainly ebbs and flows, but a lot of the times when it's busy the stuff to deal with is usually straight forward. It's the little arguments and disagreements that are difficult to sort through without reading back through posting histories etc. and I always felt that we had to do this rather than just react to the reported post, so both sides essentially got a fair hearing.

I'm not annoyed I spent the time doing it, but I also don't miss doing it at all.

I was wondering whether you could need me as a moderator - not sure I'm suitable, but maybe the forum could use another mod to help, so I thought I'd ask whether you think you need an addition and if yes, what that person should bring to the table.
You mean a mod that would actually do some moderating instead of trolling and inciting conflicts? Hmm.

@King Boonen, BR2 is Blueroads.

@SHAD0W93 would i be be able to ban mods?

I think this forum is like early 2000s cycling where you need to carry bottles for a few years before you can get leader status.
You mean a mod that would actually do some moderating instead of trolling and inciting conflicts? Hmm.

@King Boonen, BR2 is Blueroads.

@SHAD0W93 would i be be able to ban mods?
Wow, exactly the type of post I would associate with a mod: Trying to incite conflict
Safe to say finding a person that has the time and ability to moderate is gonna be tough but I think it‘s time to find a new moderator.

Reactions: jmdirt
I think this forum is like early 2000s cycling where you need to carry bottles for a few years before you can get leader status.
Blueroads has been a member for years.

Wow, exactly the type of post I would associate with a mod: Trying to incite conflict
Safe to say finding a person that has the time and ability to moderate is gonna be tough but I think it‘s time to find a new moderator.
I wasn't referring to her (Blueroads). And i sure as hell wasn't insinuating i be made a mod (especially if i can't ban other mods).

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Now that I know you're BlueRoads I'm all for you becoming a mod, don't know whether you'd be as much fun (or even have as much fun), though. (See King Boonen's post.)

The fact I don't recognise your username (is this a new account by any chance?) but I will have been involved in moderating you if you have been moderated since joining, probably says everything about the position I was in and why I felt the need to stop.

My honest opinion is that anyone who really wants to be a mod probably isn't the right person to do it. I started because they needed someone who could understand some of the issues with misrepresentation in the clinic. I didn't really want to do it, but felt like I was someone who could and therefore probably should step up.

The amount of stuff to do certainly ebbs and flows, but a lot of the times when it's busy the stuff to deal with is usually straight forward. It's the little arguments and disagreements that are difficult to sort through without reading back through posting histories etc. and I always felt that we had to do this rather than just react to the reported post, so both sides essentially got a fair hearing.

I'm not annoyed I spent the time doing it, but I also don't miss doing it at all.
So it's 'mod hat off' permanently - thanks for your service and your well-thought-out post, KB. Now you can kick back, let your hair down (or in your case let your fro grow), and frolic around with the rest of us. :)

TRENDING THREADS