• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moderators

Page 102 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
It's to prevent FDay from spamming other threads to promote his product. This way they can keep it all in two threads. They should probably make a move to contain it in just one like they did with Durianrider.

Martin318is said:
The idea was to keep PowerCranks out of the crank length thread but clearly that appears impossible.

Okay. Makes sense.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
ranjam needs a hearing

i'm not going to argue that ramjam was free of a forum rule violation. i did not see his allegedly out-of-line post(s), so whatever the official ban thread said isn't my beef.

my point is that ramjam has shown himself (in my view of course) a high quality, reasonable CONTRIBUTOR in 99.9% of cases.

this begs the question - was ram given the fair benefit for his other contributions before facing the public ban hammer ?

again, in my own biased view only, there were far more numerous cases here deserving the ban hammer, yet they have been happily posting away...

i'm only raising the issue PUBLICLY in defense of a poster - a rare event for me - b/c i have seen a mod (crank180 ?) saying a poster's positive contributions count...

true or not, my opinion is that the principle has not been fairly applied to ram.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
python said:
i'm not going to argue that ramjam was free of a forum rule violation. i did not see his allegedly out-of-line post(s), so whatever the official ban thread said isn't my beef.

my point is that ramjam has shown himself (in my view of course) a high quality, reasonable CONTRIBUTOR in 99.9% of cases.

this begs the question - was ram given the fair benefit for his other contributions before facing the public ban hammer ?

again, in my own biased view only, there were far more numerous cases here deserving the ban hammer, yet they have been happily posting away...

i'm only raising the issue PUBLICLY in defense of a poster - a rare event for me - b/c i have seen a mod (crank180 ?) saying a poster's positive contributions count...

true or not, my opinion is that the principle has not been fairly applied to ram.

+1 to all of the above.

He posted a sentence which was deemed offensive and insulting. It was removed, with that notation. He was not banned for that.

He then reposted the entire sentence in this thread. That is not acceptable. That is what he was banned for.

He was also given only a three-day ban. It could easily have been a much longer ban.

Susan

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Cheers python, spider. Much appreciated. I didn't realise that there was some sense in my posting :D

That ban was fun, now I have to put my civil coat on and try to post in an undeletable manner. I don't mind the ban, it's something I deserved earlier and didn't receive.

Was my post insulting? sure, I meant it to be so and it was a quip at another poster who was being insulting before my ban and continued to insult during the duration of my ban if the same standards are used.

Was my ban fair? sure, I re-posted deleted material. I won't sook about that claim. See, I'm not a full blown softcock.

Was my ban fair though? No it wasn't. I'd ask the mods to re-read the thread and tell me whether it was completely deleted. I'm sure there'll be a hasty edit now, but a specific post hasn't/hadn't been edited for the duration of my ban.

Here is the post I'm alluding to-
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=818259&postcount=191

As it is clear from the linked post, the deleted part remained after I returned from a ban. Thereby, it wasn't really deleted properly.

For those who couldn't bare to see my awful deleted linked post? I'll try to put it less offensively, I implied that massaging Hitch's ego wasn't the only way to be respected (oh how I struggled to get a synonym for brown nosing, I knew I should've paid more attention in English class). He/she/it has been acting as forum police for a while, when his/her/its posting style has been as aggressive as a breeding male donkey.

The question is, if my post was "offensive and insulting", what are these from the user I so "insulted and offended"? Peachy compliments? Or is he/she/it feeding him frosty pops?
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=818235&postcount=185

If someone disagrees with him/her/it and has provided more to the discussion than he/she/it has, the said user's a.... what is it?.... a specific t. Draw your own conclusions what 't' means, but it certainly isn't top. I could offer many suggestions if any of thee wishes. If a person has the skin thin enough to be torn by cotton wool, a t is insulting too.

My other question is-
my quip about the arsehole was edited in a click of the fingers, why did it take so long for the Hitch's post about the "a hole" to be edited? Both were present when my post was edited. Was is mistaken for armpit hole or only retrospective edited after being questioned? As post 187 in the doping in football thread would show, the time of editing was post my ban. Was the post not "offensive" when my post was edited. That was the reason I posted that here at that time, good job nonetheless. Had thee edited both posts at the same time, I wouldn't have posted it here. I asked for a fair hand at moderation and that hasn't really been taken into account and I don't like to criticise the mods here as they are normally sane folk (some of whom I've discussed with quite a bit and others who I wouldn't mind to wait to read), far more so than me at least.
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=818243&postcount=187

I've had edits earlier here and I've not sooked about it. This time I did because there was a clear case of one set of standards for one user and another for another. It stuck out like a sore thumb at the time and I posted the whole insult to make perfectly clear what happened, instead of coming across as a thunderc**t (mind, I'm sure that I still am).

Don't worry my knickers are proper untwisted. Sorry, this will be a stab and leave, the battery's nigh on dead.
If you're still awake after all that, cheers.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
ramjambunath said:
MOD NOTE: It is not allowed to re-post what the mods have edited out. Sorry, that entails an automatic suspension.

Susan

Just to echo Ram's point about different standards for different posters, this was precisely my beef with the mods in general and the "semi literate sausige" in particular, when a pic that I found both unsuitable and objectionable in the general context of the topic, one that was TWICE removed, was allowed to be twice re-posted without any sanction!

I'm still waiting for Palmer to publicly acknowledge that he was out of order, but sadly he's shown clearly both publicly and privately that he's not man enough.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ramjambunath said:
Was my ban fair though? No it wasn't. I'd ask the mods to re-read the thread and tell me whether it was completely deleted. I'm sure there'll be a hasty edit now, but a specific post hasn't/hadn't been edited for the duration of my ban.

You are right, that should have been removed at the time - you would have noticed that normally this would have happened. This is an oversight. I have removed it now.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Just to echo Ram's point about different standards for different posters, this was precisely my beef with the mods in general and the "semi literate sausige" in particular, when a pic that I found both unsuitable and objectionable in the general context of the topic, one that was TWICE removed, was allowed to be twice re-posted without any sanction!

I'm still waiting for Palmer to publicly acknowledge that he was out of order, but sadly he's shown clearly both publicly and privately that he's not man enough.
What was out of order :S

ElChingon said:
Ref: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=10619

How dare you ask for the simplest thing every other forum on the internet has fixed since 2005. :mad:
Despite what some seem to think, CN isn't the size of Google. And mods and admins here aren't all powerful in changing things like this. We have no access to the nuts and bolts or code in order to update the site to re-size photos, none. I can delete them, and that's about it. The only other thing I could possible do is the exact same as you: Save the photo to your own computer, resize it, and re-post it in another post. Or you could try to e-mail Dan Benson about the problem, and hope in his overworked, underpaid, unappreciated job between, you know, trying to cover cycling, write and take photos about it, he can find time to schedule a tech to update the forum, if it's within CN's budget.

palmerq said:
What was out of order :S

I believe he's upset that the Babes on Bikes thread was somewhat hijacked. Either semi-nude photos were posted (or removed) and he felt Boomcie's picture of Babe the Pig was way out of context, and was then deleted, and re-inserted, all within the realm that Boomcie had been recently suspended for other conduct.

I honestly don't know what the answer to that mess is. But I am glad to see that Nowhereman has buried the issue behind some very beautiful, and very tasteful, photos recently.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I believe he's upset that the Babes on Bikes thread was somewhat hijacked. Either semi-nude photos were posted (or removed) and he felt Boomcie's picture of Babe the Pig was way out of context, and was then deleted, and re-inserted, all within the realm that Boomcie had been recently suspended for other conduct.

I honestly don't know what the answer to that mess is. But I am glad to see that Nowhereman has buried the issue behind some very beautiful, and very tasteful, photos recently.

I find it a very funny situation.

Seeing someone who sees himself as a grown-up behave like a little baby is pretty hilarious to me.

Just to be clear: I've never reposted that Babe-picture, it were the moderators that re-inserted it twice. They did so because the picture was nowhere near as offensive as some content in that thread and because it wasn't off-topic. It was Babe on a bike.

I would like to thank the mods for behaving like they did. I know I make it hard to judge fairly sometimes, but nothing was wrong with that picture.

Is that the picture that palmerq got horribly insulted as "not man enough" to apologize for reinstating?

Because allowing some witty humor now and again, is perfectly consistent with the standards the moderators had set for the thread.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=255669&postcount=1359

Response
180mmCrank said:
Thank god for that - some humour :) not just endless posts of half clad bimbos ;)

and

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=313302&postcount=1561

And the thread defends itself from charges of being inapropriate and even sexist, in the first place, purely on the principle that it is not too serious.

Maybe the apology should be on the other foot, and what really is "out of order" is insulting someone for doing the job they are asked to, the way they are told to.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Absolutely NOT! Ref: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=10619

How dare you ask for the simplest thing every other forum on the internet has fixed since 2005. :mad:

But if you ask for nags about how hard it is to be a mod/admin you will probably hit 2mil posts by the mods/admins. Time well spent...

Alpe d'Huez said:
Despite what some seem to think, CN isn't the size of Google. And mods and admins here aren't all powerful in changing things like this. We have no access to the nuts and bolts or code in order to update the site to re-size photos, none. I can delete them, and that's about it. The only other thing I could possible do is the exact same as you: Save the photo to your own computer, resize it, and re-post it in another post. Or you could try to e-mail Dan Benson about the problem, and hope in his overworked, underpaid, unappreciated job between, you know, trying to cover cycling, write and take photos about it, he can find time to schedule a tech to update the forum, if it's within CN's budget.

Lets recap. I answered his question which based on your reply is correct and factual. I reference the source of the reason/facts which includes all possible solutions to the problem from a users and aghm.. site owners side. I said the mods/admins would reply with nags about it, check.

You then felt the need to re-quote the obvious. Why? To prove my point? Note, if any user does this they get slapped for re-posting the obvious or being a weird fictional internet animal. Maybe time for another mod self administered ban?

Then, to top it off we the users of the forum need to tell your boss (even if you don't get paid he's your boss) to fix it, isn't that like me asking you to tell my boss to fix the broken refrigerator shelf that keep jamming the door open at my office's kitchen. If that is true then I can PM my bosses e-mail for you to tell him to get it fixed.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
What a bunch of pathetic ****ers (there really is no other suitable term) here.

One or more posters here are simply LYING. There is no other word for it. I am in no position to know who is lying, but the fact is that the pig was twice removed and re-posted.

As usual, palmer is living up to his persona by being disingenuous and feigning ignorance despite being directly involved. His first reply above is unworthy of an 'admin'. My thanks to Alpe for at least making the effort to reply in a meaningful way.

As usual, boomcie is delighted simply to be sh!t-stirring and to cause trouble between others, because that is his mission on the web, and the sum of his sad little persona here.

As usual, Hitch hangs out the goodie two-shoes, brown-nosing busybody who knows everything better and who sticks his nose in everywhere.

But hey, I no longer care. I'm, done with BoB, and pretty much done with this nest of childish snakes in the grass, and downright liars. It's such a shame that those involved haven't got the balls to man-up publicly - but no surprise, I suppose, when you consider their track records.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
What a bunch of pathetic ****ers (there really is no other suitable term) here.

One or more posters here are simply LYING. There is no other word for it. I am in no position to know who is lying, but the fact is that the pig was twice removed and re-posted.

As usual, palmer is living up to his persona by being disingenuous and feigning ignorance despite being directly involved. His first reply above is unworthy of an 'admin'. My thanks to Alpe for at least making the effort to reply in a meaningful way.

As usual, boomcie is delighted simply to be sh!t-stirring and to cause trouble between others, because that is his mission on the web, and the sum of his sad little persona here.

As usual, Hitch hangs out the goodie two-shoes, brown-nosing busybody who knows everything better and who sticks his nose in everywhere.

But hey, I no longer care. I'm, done with BoB, and pretty much done with this nest of childish snakes in the grass, and downright liars. It's such a shame that those involved haven't got the balls to man-up publicly - but no surprise, I suppose, when you consider their track records.

Reporting babe on a bike as offensive? Really? What a crock. Hate to tell you, but the bob thread isn't exactly the bible. You take it far too seriously. Get over yourself, man.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:

What's wrong with you?

I did not re-post anything. And if Palmer says so, I'm sure he did not reinstate anything.

Did it occur to you that another mod re-inserted that picture (twice), because there was nothing wrong with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.