• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moderators

Page 398 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's the logic behind the race design thread being stickied? It makes absolutely no sense. It could be argued it doesn't even belong in the road race forum. We made a separate forum when people started getting obsessed with the CQ thread but at least that was about real races. The race design thread is completely make-believe and has absolutely nothing to do with actual racing.

I'm a former moderator, I'm not trying to attack you guys, I just honestly would like to understand the logic if there is any. Usually there's a logical reason a thread is a sticky like a need to inform, to preemptively answer a common question or the like. There's really no need for a thread like that to be a sticky. What purpose does it serve? How does it help or improve the forum? The people who participate there can always find it - it's never several pages down.

And in response to a comment in my original thread, I don't have any knowledge of any previous beefs about stickies. I almost never come to this part of the forum as evidenced by my apparently mis-placed post. The fewer stickies, the better is almost always good forum protocol.

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I must say that I Iove the moderators. Especially bandan. I got a month ban for doping talks and trolling in PRR (aka calling Alberto as Alpuerto) which of course is the least that I deserve. Moreover I would like to express my admiration for the increasing trend of banning Lemond fanbois. Peace and love :eek:

Re:

harryh said:
I must say that I Iove the moderators. Especially bandan. I got a month ban for doping talks and trolling in PRR (aka calling Alberto as Alpuerto) which of course is the least that I deserve. Moreover I would like to express my admiration for the increasing trend of banning Lemond fanbois. Peace and love :eek:
Susan Westemeyer said:
The mods in this forum have always operated under the motto, “It doesn’t matter to us what your opinion is, what matters is how you state it.”

No one here is banned, nor have they ever been, solely because they support or dislike any particular rider, team or issue. We have been through this with the Armstrong affair, with Sky/Froome, and many others.

Of course all the mods have their own opinions, and have the right to express them. They obviously do not have the right to moderate the forum based on those opinions. This has never happened, and we will not allow it to happens. Mods are chosen with this in mind.

We are confident that all new and current mods are living up to the standard that was set many years ago.

For those who harp on the matter, and are convinced that the mods here are evil-minded persons who are out to get YOU: a word of advice. Re-consider whether this forum really meets your needs. We are not saying that you should leave, but for your own happiness, peace of mind and blood pressure, you might be better off elsewhere.

I am posting this as the senior moderator emeritus, having been a mod here since before the forum went public. I am no longer active in moderating this forum, and any complaints sent to me will be forwarded to the active mods for action.

Re:

Irondan said:
I just want to let everyone know that Maxiton is no longer a moderator in the forums.

Please treat him with respect and abide by all forum rules.

Cheers
Hats off to Maxiton for giving it a try, I know I wouldn't want this thankless (and unpaid) mod job.

Come back, Max, come back and post again as a regular poster! (Come back and join us filthy and unwashed masses again. :))

Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Irondan said:
I just want to let everyone know that Maxiton is no longer a moderator in the forums.

Cheers
Hats off to Maxiton for giving it a try, I know I wouldn't want this thankless (and unpaid) mod job.

Come back, Max, come back and post again as a regular poster! (Come back and join us filthy and unwashed masses again. :))

+1

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Tricycle Rider said:
Irondan said:

Cheers

well said! :)
i,m washed though :cool:

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

Jspear said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Irondan said:

Cheers

+1

+2

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Tricycle Rider said:
Irondan said:

Cheers

Yep.

Well done Maxiton for giving it a go. Hope to see Maxiton back posting!

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

Cannibal72 said:
Jspear said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Irondan said:

Cheers

+1

+2

+3

Cheers

Tricycle Rider said:
Irondan said:

Cheers

Well said! Come back Maxiton we want you on the forum :) chapeau for giving it a go, it's a tough job :)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
What??? A newsworthy story that has got a lot of attention.

If you and hog wanted to post about Britain and doping, then all you had to do was take that drivel to the appropriate thread, like the "Brits don't dope" one or whatever, and have the echo chamber discussion you crave from it.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site

The Hitch said:
gooner said:
A well done to the mods for clearing up that agenda driven nonsense in the Russian doping scandal thread.
As if your op itself wasn't agenda driven?
thank you mods for letting the hitch let us know that gooner is going to become a mod. good choice !

otherwise, for sure, there would not be any reason to mock gooner and his agenda in the moderator thread.

it all makes sense now, right ? btw, thanks the hitch too ...

Re:

gooner said:
What??? A newsworthy story that has got a lot of attention.

If you and hog wanted to post about Britain and doping,

Well some of us don't take the myopic view that Russian state doping is an isolated story that has absolutely nothing to do with the wider doping and political world.

We don't believe that everything happens in a vaccum.

For us every single doping story, is only part of the far larger battle between an elite of liars and cheats at the top of sports who control the media, the doping and the narrative, and a lower class of liars and cheats who have no power and find themselves at the mercy of the first group whenever a scapegoat is needed.

We don't care much for athletes being busted for asthma medication, or no name figure skaters being caught doping, because such busts mean next to nothing and have no impact on the wider system. Wake me up when someone with major sponsorship deals gets caught doping. Or even when Russia actually gets banned from the olympics.

But if that's too hard for you to understand, consider this story - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/may/13/pressure-russia-rio-2016-olympics-uk-anti-doping-obstructed
Or consider the fact that the head of the World Anti doping agency is a brit.
Or consider the fact that the last country to host the olympics before Russia was the United Kingdom. And last year, the narrative was strongly pushed that Russia disgraced these games, "our own games" by evily conspiring to dope in them, the bastards!!!!!

No, I won't apologize for thinking that the Western "we are clean narrative" and the "Russia was state doping" narrative, are strongly linked.

And any time, any no name athlete or no name beurocrat get caught doping, I will always think of the big fish that are getting away with it.
then all you had to do was take that drivel to the appropriate thread, like the "Brits don't dope" one or whatever, and have the echo chamber discussion you crave from it.

I'd like to call your bluff out on the echo chamber comment though. The main "clinic" opinion on doping is that sport is rife with doping, at all levels, across all nationalities, and that anti doping is a sham which scapegoats unmarketable athletes while focusing all its effort on protecting high level popular media friendly ones.

This is the opinion that everyone who is mocked as being part of the "clinic" holds, and it is also coincidentally an opinion held by the handful of academics who have devoted their lives to a study of doping, and by anyone else who has done any research into the subject.

Do you disagree with this opinion? Do you want to challenge it?

I remember when digger asked you a question 4 times and you ignored it all 4 times.

We both know why you ignored that question. Will you do the same here?

PS, is it really drivel for hog to point out that David Millar is a liar? Is that, still, such an uncomfortable truth to admit to? That one of your own nation could be a liar?

python said:
The Hitch said:
gooner said:
A well done to the mods for clearing up that agenda driven nonsense in the Russian doping scandal thread.
As if your op itself wasn't agenda driven?
thank you mods for letting the hitch let us know that gooner is going to become a mod. good choice !

otherwise, for sure, there would not be any reason to mock gooner and his agenda in the moderator thread.

it all makes sense now, right ? btw, thanks the hitch too ...

I was actually defending my friend the hog, who gooner had mocked in the previous post, but given your continued hard-on for me, I can see how you may have missed that one old friend ;)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Just because the whistleblower happens to be FROM RUSSIA, doesn't mean that the people who were discussing it think doping doesn't occur elsewhere. You're adding arms and legs to things now.

There was a theme to that thread that had nothing to do with you and hog's agenda to British sport. Somehow I don't think you'd be saying it's tiresome news if it was British related.

It would be embraced by both of you.

And David Millar had nothing to do with that thread, so yes it was drivel in the context of the thread's subject. Millar is not "one of my nation" either.

gooner said:
Just because the whistleblower happens to be FROM RUSSIA, doesn't mean that the people who were discussing it think doping doesn't occur elsewhere.
Very carefully chosen words, I notice.

No, "people" in general, who were discussing it might not think that doping doesn't occur elsewhere.

But YOU, well your account has for years been dedicated to promoting the idea that Brits don't dope

So save us the sleight of hand.

There was a theme to that thread that had nothing to do with you and hog's agenda to British sport. Somehow I don't think you'd be saying it's tiresome news if it was British related.

It would be embraced by both of you.

Err duh. Of course we would. I just said so myself in the previous post :rolleyes: -
Wake me up when someone with major sponsorship deals gets caught doping
Britain holds the presidency of the iaaf, the uci and Wada and hosted the "clean Olympics"
We would absolutely embrace a scandal that might actually damage someone at the top, rather than s few no name scapegoats. Logic is logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.