• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moderators

Page 200 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
CycloErgoSum said:
EDIT: While I'm at it, my maiden name's Lagudin, my people are Ukranian Jew. I am entitled to invoke 'that' history when I witness intolerance and lack of fair-mindedness. It's also empowering and therapeudic, like the African-American appropriation of the N-word. I agree, my invocation was hyperbolic given the circumstances - ironic given that's what started this thing off in the first place - but I stand by the notion that intolerant, illiberal attitudes are all of a kind no matter the degree of their consequences. Like they say in Australia, 'Lest We Forget.' The past exists, we can't ignore it.

lol. what a line of self pitty. I might as well go with the 80 years war since I'm dutch and how spanish treated my ancestors bad. pls go play in kindergarten or something

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had some issues with 'the mods' in the past but no doubt they are better than ever right now, especially Parrulo, I once described him as a loose cannon but he is an aggressive fan favourite atm for sure.

Tbh most of it comes from you (all the posters). A lot of you behave and also try not to escalate things when few misbehave. It also helps that the traffic is medium/low atm (Is there really any real discussion going on in the clinic atm?).

So I just want to say thanks back to you as well. The mods can only do so much. What really matters are all of you who contribute to the forum and respect the rules.

King Boonen said:
Another post deleted, as was the one I responded to. If it was worthy of deletion why has no action been taken against the person I responded to?

I can't see any of your posts being deleted KB. Which thread?

In general it sometimes takes a little time for mod's to see a post that needs to be deleted, so when it is the follow up responses often go as well especially if the convo is about the reason for the deletion

sittingbison said:
I can't see any of your posts being deleted KB. Which thread?

In general it sometimes takes a little time for mod's to see a post that needs to be deleted, so when it is the follow up responses often go as well especially if the convo is about the reason for the deletion

This thread, it was pointing out some obvious trolling by a user.

To be fair, I feel like maybe I'm complaining to much, but the post would probably have earned any other user a ban, but nothing seems to have happened to the user in question.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
Tbh most of it comes from you (all the posters). A lot of you behave and also try not to escalate things when few misbehave. It also helps that the traffic is medium/low atm (Is there really any real discussion going on in the clinic atm?).

So I just want to say thanks back to you as well. The mods can only do so much. What really matters are all of you who contribute to the forum and respect the rules.

To the blue - my answer would be "no", but a better question would be should there be discussion going on? Absolutely - the upcoming election has the potential to shape the future of this sport, it is incredible that there is little discussion on the candidates, their merits and teasing out the best arguments or solutions at this time.

As for the 'rules' - it is relatively easy to moderate a quiet forum.
A poster is banned for 3 months, for 3 different infringements in the one post?? Was the poster given an opportunity to clarify their position, or amend their ways?
The ban button is not the answer - it is called 'moderation' for a reason.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah the mods seem to be suffering from power trips now and then and just handing out ridiculous bans for basically nothing. Its like a kindergarden where no fun is allowed.

I shouldnt complain too much though as i have escaped their wrath so far.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Eshnar said:
What nonsense.
In all August we delivered a grand total of 10 bans. There are currently a massive amount of 6 users banned temporarly. Do you have any idea of how many reported posts we receive?
We're far too tolerant, really.
No.
But you knew that.

Nor has reported posts any bearing on banning people - and 10 bans is actually quite a lot, as I stated earlier, "The ban button is not the answer - it is called 'moderation' for a reason."

Dr. Maserati said:
No.
But you knew that.

Nor has reported posts any bearing on banning people - and 10 bans is actually quite a lot, as I stated earlier, "The ban button is not the answer - it is called 'moderation' for a reason."
In this very moment there are around 100 registered users online, so no, 10 bans in one month is a ridicolously low number.

As for the reported posts, it is in the order of 2-300 this month (but in some periods of the year is a lot higher). Just so you know

edit: typo

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
For a forum with thousands of users 10 bans is not a lot.

There are thousands of members, not users.
Don't confuse the two.

Eshnar said:
In this very moment there are around 100 registered users online, so no, 10 bans in one month is a ridicolously low number.

As for the reported posts, it is in the order of 2-300 this month (but in some periods of the year is a lot higher). Just so you know

edit: typo
100 registered 'users' - yet few of those post.
The 'reported posts' number is irrelevant.

In fact that you are attempting to justify bans on a proportion or percentage basis shows you have missed the point.

Dr. Maserati said:
There are thousands of members, not users.
Don't confuse the two.

100 registered 'users' - yet few of those post.
The 'reported posts' number is irrelevant.

In fact that you are attempting to justify bans on a proportion or percentage basis shows you have missed the point.
perhaps you're missing mine...
If we were suffering from "power trips", as quoted from the post I responded to (which isn't yours), there would be a hell of a lot more bans.

Now, if you wanna keep arguing "The ban button is not the answer - it is called 'moderation' for a reason." well that's your opinion and btw that has nothing to do with my point.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Eshnar said:
perhaps you're missing mine...
If we were suffering from "power trips", as quoted from the post I responded to (which isn't yours), there would be a hell of a lot more bans.

Now, if you wanna keep arguing "The ban button is not the answer - it is called 'moderation' for a reason." well that's your opinion and btw that has nothing to do with my point.

But you didn't respond to a post. If you had you would post with it - you responded to my post and the subsequent comment by 'the sceptic' whose point
about 'power trips' is perfectly valid in the context of the qualifiers they included, quoted below:
"yeah the mods seem to be suffering from power trips now and then and just handing out ridiculous bans for basically nothing. Its like a kindergarden where no fun is allowed"

Dr. Maserati said:
But you didn't respond to a post. If you had you would post with it - you responded to my post and the subsequent comment by 'the sceptic' whose point
about 'power trips' is perfectly valid in the context of the qualifiers they included, quoted below:
"yeah the mods seem to be suffering from power trips now and then and just handing out ridiculous bans for basically nothing. Its like a kindergarden where no fun is allowed"

I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS