• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moderators

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Bala Verde is trying to be a bully

The following is an example of a CN forum moderator going beyond a reasonable mandate to supress a person that rebuked his prior post. Bala Verde assessed an infraction on me for the post below, which NEVER called him a tool, but certainly challenged his post.

Bala Verde said:
Dear warmfuzzies,

You have received an infraction at CyclingNews Forum.

Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
-------
Calling me a Tool is really not encouraged.
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
[post]283658[/post]
Bala Verde said:
Fact of the matter is that Andy did not take enough time on Contador in the previous mountain stages to eliminate chance, such as 'mechanicals' (like punctures, jammed derailleurs, rubbing brakes, broken spokes), self inficted damage, such as mis-shifting, ending up in a ditch, bad descending and missing a corner and what not.

He actually conceded approximately 1m to Menchov and Sanchez in important TdF stages.

If this happens in the upcoming TT, no one would complain about the rider's actions, but just call it what it is:

"Bad luck"

Andy is motivated to the bone now... Perhaps that's what he needed to distance himself from his main rivals.

As a moderator of a website dedicated to the love of cycling, you should be ashamed of this comment for its complete lack of acknowledgement of the major tradition that was broken in attacking the yellow jersey during a mechanical. Your comment echoes Albertoe's action in terms of lack of class and respect for fair play in competition. Go get yourself some pisTOOLero gear, you earned it.

All the best,
CyclingNews Forum

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It seems pretty clear to me that you are calling a moderator a Tool.
A one point infraction is a very minor warning after all (you get 100 in total I believe)

warmfuzzies said:
The following is an example of a CN forum moderator going beyond a reasonable mandate to supress a person that rebuked his prior post. Bala Verde assessed an infraction on me for the post below, which NEVER called him a tool, but certainly challenged his post.

As a moderator of a website dedicated to the love of cycling, you should be ashamed of this comment for its complete lack of acknowledgement of the major tradition that was broken in attacking the yellow jersey during a mechanical. Your comment echoes Albertoe's action in terms of lack of class and respect for fair play in competition. Go get yourself some pisTOOLero gear, you earned it.

There is no "major tradition" in cycling which holds that anytime the yellow jersey experiences any sort of setback that might cost him a little time everyone else must imediately stop what they are doing and mark time until said yellow jersey is ready to continue.
As for calling out a moderator as being somehow unmoderatorly (?) for having a different opinion than yours, well I'd say you got what you asked for skippy. Enjoy your infraction :D

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
It seems pretty clear to me that you are calling a moderator a Tool.
A one point infraction is a very minor warning after all (you get 100 in total I believe)

Actually warmfuzzies was called alberto contador pistoolero, and have been doing so in every post, as he was upset at the whole mechanical thing.

I just wanted to point this out, even though i don't think contador is a tool.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
he may have thought he was doing that but my instant reaction to reading 'pisTOOLero gear, you've earned it' was that he is calling the person he is talking to a tool. print is a wonderful media for misunderstanding...

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
I am a bit confused about the enforcement of the forum rules.

Lately somebody posted this in a thread:

ChrisE said:
I nominate this for the most stupid ******* thread in the history of this forum.

where ******** symbolizes the f-word spelled in an alternative manner. I thought this was insulting to the thread starter, so I reported it. The moderator then changed it into:

ChrisE said:
I nominate this for the most stupid thread in the history of this forum.

So "circumventing the forum "censors" " by deliberately misspelling a curse word is not tolerated, but "insulting other members" is ok. Or maybe CN moderators do not find it insulting to call other peoples questions the most stupid in forum history?

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
He insulted a topic not a person. I agree its a fine line but I believe the person received a warning for this

If you really believe that that distinction is valid, you won't mind me saying that that is the most stupid argument I've heard for a long time.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Chris E's response wouldn't have offended me if it were my thread. Critique the ideas, not the person, is the point that many have been making around here for a while. Ok that wasn't the most delicate rebuttal but it's far better than the douche/tool/loser/chamois-sniffing-basement-dwelling-troll comments. I've used that last one myself more than once. Removing the ****** didn't change the post, just the effect so it wasn't a bad move. Just two bits worth of opinion from the non-mod side of the house.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Chris E's response wouldn't have offended me if it were my thread. Critique the ideas, not the person, is the point that many have been making around here for a while. <snip>
just so you know, chrisE's banning and infraction history history is the subjective of a separate thread opened by the i just cycle in july guy.

here
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=7601

i recently took an interest in this obnoxious character because when his direct insults of multiple members got him banned, he used sock puppets and, get this, he used arrogant intellectual baiting of the moderators as to the limits of their moderating power when one of his sock puppets (thai panda) 'innocently' asked in the forum feedback (publicly!!) if they can see ips of the forum members.

when challenged, chrisE resorts to name calling, or when on a short leash like right now (according to one moderator), he makes statements like 'engage your brain' or when pinned against the wall, he attempts to downplay his armstrong fanboyism by asking questions that he knows the answers to and hopes will distract from his line.

i dont care much for such posters.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
HL2037 said:
If you really believe that that distinction is valid, you won't mind me saying that that is the most stupid argument I've heard for a long time.

Excellent - one of the best responces I have read in a while.

But I do side with 'pedalling squares' on this issue - although I do see your point and it is valid.

If someones only way of responding, is to resort to namecalling, then I have enough faith in most posters here to spot it for what it is.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
HL2037 said:

Correct - I don't mind at all.
Probably, because calling something like that stupid is like calling water "a bit dry". pointless and has no impact on what I think about the wetness of water. hope the point carries for you.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
HL2037 said:
I am a bit confused about the enforcement of the forum rules.

Lately somebody posted this in a thread:

where ******** symbolizes the f-word spelled in an alternative manner. I thought this was insulting to the thread starter, so I reported it. The moderator then changed it into:

So "circumventing the forum "censors" " by deliberately misspelling a curse word is not tolerated, but "insulting other members" is ok. Or maybe CN moderators do not find it insulting to call other peoples questions the most stupid in forum history?

As Martin wrote it was directed at the thread, though one could believe what they choose to about a person that starts such a thread.

Sorry, but I found a thread started to discuss where people intentionally wreck for whatever reason, then wish they had a button on their bars to get a flat in hard races, to not be the utmost use of bandwidth. YMMV.

ChrisE said:
As Martin wrote it was directed at the thread, though one could believe what they choose to about a person that starts such a thread.

Sorry, but I found a thread started to discuss where people intentionally wreck for whatever reason, then wish they had a button on their bars to get a flat in hard races, to not be the utmost use of bandwidth. YMMV.

FYI I plan to start a thread soon titled "crash to bachelorhood". To avoid marriage, I have always wondered how many guys have intentionally driven their car into a tree on the way to their wedding. :D

i think you are on to something...maybe even a TV show

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Can someone tell me something about that points system ?
Never saw that anywhere - but at the German traffic law.
"Punkte in Flensburg" it is called

How much points will lead to taking away my cyclingnews drivers license ?

Infraction for offtopic - this is ridiculous.
These warnings and infractions seem to be distributed very onesided, by some of my "friends". :D
Anyone else got a infraction for offtopic (yesterday) ? How much points ?

If some of you "powerful" Admins/Mods want to freeze me out, just say it. Should be a game with open cards. Just say it and I will be gone. But it feels a little bit absurd whats going on here.

What about these nasty coffin lid dancers, who danced on a wrestlers coffin very ugly, just to shoot against Lance ?
Thread still there, people still there and well accepted.

thanks

PS: Uh, hi ChrisE. Target too ? How astonishing :)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
To be clear ( for those that didnt see the posts in question):

You and ChrisE start a conversation between yourselves in a pre-existing thread, over a number of posts that has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the topic and you have the audacity to come here and whine that you are being picked upon?

You received an infraction because you have received (and ignored) personal warnings already from more than one moderator for doing the same thing (off topic posting).

Every member is equal in the eyes of the moderators here which means if you make an effort to be sensible you will have a good time here. If however you persist in your current style then you will continue to receive infractions and yes there is a possibility that it will result in a suspension of your account.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Martin318is said:

You and ChrisE start a conversation between yourselves in a pre-existing thread, over a number of posts that has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the topic and you have the audacity to come here and whine that you are being picked upon?

You received an infraction because you have received (and ignored) personal warnings already from more than one moderator for doing the same thing (off topic posting).

Every member is equal in the eyes of the moderators here which means if you make an effort to be sensible you will have a good time here. If however you persist in your current style then you will continue to receive infractions and yes there is a possibility that it will result in a suspension of your account.

So, I am the one and only king of offtopic and I will now follow the widespread tactics and report every single offtopic post.
But only just the offtopic of some of my special "friends".
Thats the way it goes, but I don´t feel good with that.

What about the points now ?
Will I get one +point for my nice ontopic Terpstra-pic ?

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:

Martin, I didn't reply to your PM about my point deduction but you also deleted the post before mine and cobblestoned where I rebutted maseratti's asinine post about 99 samples vs buckwheat's "jacked" comment.

Maseratti jumps into a conversation between me and buckwheat, I rebut him and then go off topic with cobblestoned and all those posts got deleted. What's up with that?

If there were parts of my post to maseratti that were out of bounds, then why not selective editing by the mods like you have done before? Like you did the other day in this thread for example when I said I would start a thread called "bail to bachelorhood"?

It seems that anybody rebutting maseratti gets special scrutiny. He is the resident genius I know, but sometimes I like to test myself against people smarter than me. Call it mental sprints against the cerebrial Cavendish.

Does maseratti have a special deal with the mods to shield him from confrontation, like LA had with the UCI?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
Martin, I didn't reply to your PM about my point deduction but you also deleted the post before mine and cobblestoned where I rebutted maseratti's asinine post about 99 samples vs buckwheat's "jacked" comment.

Maseratti jumps into a conversation between me and buckwheat, I rebut him and then go off topic with cobblestoned and all those posts got deleted. What's up with that?

If there were parts of my post to maseratti that were out of bounds, then why not selective editing by the mods like you have done before? Like you did the other day in this thread for example when I said I would start a thread called "bail to bachelorhood"?

It seems that anybody rebutting maseratti gets special scrutiny. He is the resident genius I know, but sometimes I like to test myself against people smarter than me. Call it mental sprints against the cerebrial Cavendish.

Does maseratti have a special deal with the mods to shield him from confrontation, like LA had with the UCI?

Well my subscription must be up - as my OT posts were deleted to.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Well my subscription must be up - as my OT posts were deleted to.

And that is not my gripe. My reply to your last post about the 99 samples vs "jacked" got deleted.

Please read more carefully what I wrote above.....your cover is for somebody confronting you and bringing down the myth. Your OT posts being deleted is like being fined for taking a waterbottle in the last part of the stage. A hand slap to keep the perception of honest debate up. :D

Yes, the myth. You and LA have alot in common. :cool:

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
And that is not my gripe. My reply to your last post about the 99 samples vs "jacked" got deleted.

Please read more carefully what I wrote above.....your cover is for somebody confronting you and bringing down the myth. Your OT posts being deleted is like being fined for taking a waterbottle in the last part of the stage. A hand slap to keep the perception of honest debate up. :D

Yes, the myth. You and LA have alot in common. :cool:

Ah,so you think Lance is a 'myth' - interesting.

I prefer calling him a fraud - so Lance and I have not that much in common - although there is at least one thing we agree on.

A

Anonymous

can we have some sort of details on what the points system is (i did ask this before).

If there is going to be a publicly displayed points system of infringements i think we have a right to know what these points mean.

Someone also needs to provide a clear list of forum rules, and what the penalties are for not following rules. Ie, what sort of thing gets pts, what sort of things gets immediate ban, what gets permenant ban.,

How the hell is anyone meant to follow the rules when they dont know what the rules are (and dont give me the "youve been here long enough to know whats accepted and what isnt" line)

shall i start:

Derailing threads or posting off topic - 1pt and infraction
abusing a mod - immediate 7 day ban

what else? and what do points mean (dont say prizes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS