• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

moments that turned you into a cycling fan

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
I had always been into running, but that all turned around when would see this group of cyclist get together for a ride everyday. Some of them had jerseys that had Pedali Alpini on them. Those guys have some history as it turns out. Some days I would run by them as they would roll out to start their ride and we would exchange wise cracks with each other.

The ride was/is the NoonRide in Palo Alto California. I thought it was so cool that I cleaned up my $120 Centurion and showed up. I still do this ride 29 years later.

I knew about some of the pros and the big races before, but nothing resonated like joining a group of riders who wanted to go fast.

I jump in it.

A

Anonymous

2 things in 2006.

One.
Bought my first road bike to participate in my first MS150 ride in Dallas. I had learned one of my good friends had MS so completing my first big organized ride after only owning my bike for 5 months was an incredible experience. Riding for my friend gave me the inspiration and I felt that any pain I felt was nothing compared to what she was going through with her MS. So I finished for her and I fell in love with the bike.

Two.
Before the walls fell down it was Stage 17, 2006 Tour, Landis' miracle comeback after crumbling on Stage 16. It was an amazing ride that was all guts on his part. It felt good to be an American during that Tour.

Too bad it was all a farce... but that's when I really became a fan of pro cycling.

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
bridgeman said:
I had always been into running, but that all turned around when would see this group of cyclist get together for a ride everyday. Some of them had jerseys that had Pedali Alpini on them. Those guys have some history as it turns out. Some days I would run by them as they would roll out to start their ride and we would exchange wise cracks with each other.

The ride was/is the NoonRide in Palo Alto California. I thought it was so cool that I cleaned up my $120 Centurion and showed up. I still do this ride 29 years later.

I knew about some of the pros and the big races before, but nothing resonated like joining a group of riders who wanted to go fast.

I jump in it.

Good for you bridgeman, I was a frequent member of the Noon/Valley/Spectrum rides in the early-mid 90's when I raced. I know I'll get my rear-end handed back to me, but I'll have to get back out there again.

My very first road trip after getting my drivers license was to "borrow" my Dad's car to drive out to Fitchburg from Boston with a friend, and see Giuseppe Marinoni take the overall victory in the 1967 Longsjo Classic. I was hopelessly hooked, and started racing locally the next Spring. I competed for several years and never won a single race, but rode well enough to comprehend the true beauty of the sport

I was lucky enough to spend some college time in Europe in the early seventies and drank deeply there of the cycling culture. I saw Classics and Tour stages, and was always impressed and amazed by what cycling represented in France and Belgium. Those formative years had a big impact on my professional direction, and decisions in life.

But I can definitely trace the day I became a fan to that day at the 67 Longsjo Classic. And the impression was strong, because almost 10 years later I drove to Quebec and bought a beautiful frame from Giuseppe Marinoni himself. I wish I still had it.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
This thread is very educational! I'm new to bike racing as of May but I guess I can still answer. I happened to catch a very early stage of the Giro on Universal Sports. The first thing that got my attention was all the crashes. Every time I left the couch - another crash. Seeing how insanely tough the course was - and the riders - that really made me want to watch more.

After just a few days I was completely addicted. As if it was crack or something. The mud, rain, insane hills - I loved it all. Only took a few days for me to notice Vino and I was just crazy for him right away. Talk about fun to watch!

Since then I've gone into withdrawl every time a GT race ends. Nothing can really take it's place, either. Thank goodness Bode has announced he's racing another season so at least I'll have that!

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
1983 TdF - Fignon & Millar got my attention.

Lombardia 83 with Kelly & Lemond sprinting it out saw me head over heels.

The Tour & Daniele Mangeas you can keep. I'll keep Lombardia, Il Giro & Barbara Pedrotti. :)

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I had always been interested in cycling and watched the SBS Highlights show often of the TDF but I think the love of cycling was cemented when they showed a live stage and it was L'Alpe d'Huez in 2003.

CatsNK said:
This thread is very educational! I'm new to bike racing as of May but I guess I can still answer. I happened to catch a very early stage of the Giro on Universal Sports. The first thing that got my attention was all the crashes. Every time I left the couch - another crash. Seeing how insanely tough the course was - and the riders - that really made me want to watch more.

After just a few days I was completely addicted. As if it was crack or something. The mud, rain, insane hills - I loved it all. Only took a few days for me to notice Vino and I was just crazy for him right away. Talk about fun to watch!

Since then I've gone into withdrawl every time a GT race ends. Nothing can really take it's place, either. Thank goodness Bode has announced he's racing another season so at least I'll have that!

Cool read how you got into racing. From out of nowhere and then watching the Giro and it just totally blowing you away. It usually takes time for people to admire what they see in cycling.

And yeh..the withdrawl thing after every great stage and most GT's really suck. The worst part has yet to happen.. Winter... no racing!
I guess I'll go back to watching some football again or give my gf lots of attention so that I have enough credit when the cycling season starts again;)

Around 1978 deciding I wanted to ride the 6 miles into work, not knowing what bike to buy..Took a guy from work along to shop in Accrington and taking home a Peugeot with Reynolds 531 tubing... after a few weeks joining some guys from work and going out on after work rides around the Ribble Valley before heading home to Blackburn.. Spring 79 after joining East Lancs Road Club nervously doing a 2up Time Trial, then Time Trialing the rest of that year till going off to Ibiza with mates for 2 week holiday..after the excesses of the Holiday dropped out of the first 25mile TT after, sold my bike and gear on the following Monday through the work notice board.

Then fell in love with cycling in 1985 seeing Hinault, LeMond, Roche and Kelly ... but especially Robert Millar on Channel 4 half hour early evening highlights programme... I just couldn't get enough.

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
The Red Zinger Bicycle Classic. My first race was the North Boulder Park Criterium when Phil Anderson lapped the field twice. Would have been in the early 80's.

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
Said it before but it bears repeating: seeing Rebecca Twigg walking casually toward me in a skinsuit....only. It was a sunny but slightly brisk day in Redmond....
I can see that being a life changing event for many reasons.

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
It was the Indurain era in general that got me into cycling really. My Dad was a cycling nut & worshipped Indurain, and it was watching it with him that got me into it. Then when Pantani turned up he was the guy that got me hooked!

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
It was Merckx

Riding my bike on a touring holiday, came to a junction and was ordered to stop by a gendarme. A big crowd at the roadside, waiting for... what? "Le Tour, idiot!" And there they were - riders swishing by in a blur of colour, and a blast of air that seemed to swallow me. I was dumbstruck. Learned that the next stage would finish not far away, so made sure I was there - just past the finishing line. The winner swept past and just about swept me off my feet. It was Merckx. Totally hooked, for life!

Gee333 said:
2 things in 2006.

One.
Bought my first road bike to participate in my first MS150 ride in Dallas. I had learned one of my good friends had MS so completing my first big organized ride after only owning my bike for 5 months was an incredible experience. Riding for my friend gave me the inspiration and I felt that any pain I felt was nothing compared to what she was going through with her MS. So I finished for her and I fell in love with the bike.

Two.
Before the walls fell down it was Stage 17, 2006 Tour, Landis' miracle comeback after crumbling on Stage 16. It was an amazing ride that was all guts on his part. It felt good to be an American during that Tour.

Too bad it was all a farce... but that's when I really became a fan of pro cycling.

I liked that day as well and I don't think that one has to let what happened later color one's appreciation of the feat, as it is absolutely certain that Floyd was far from the only rider doping that day (or any other day).
There are probably a lot of reasons that we can choose from for why he tested positive on that occasion, from politics to carelessness, but I think the idea that there was a substance that he could take that alone enabled him to ride that much faster than a whole field of similarly doped athletes is the least plausible.

Pantanti for me as well. I was aware of indurain, and remember bjarne riis being a big deal, but wasn't really that interested in cycling until i saw pantani in the TdF. Don't remember which stage, but he was something else.

TRENDING THREADS