• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

More glad tiding from Spain

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Despite some humorous posts, especially yours, workingclasshero, this is a pretty big, and pretty upsetting issue. That interview to Manzano is very incisive, very to the point and brutally honest. Who could seriously deny what he says as being accurate???

This also makes me even more disgusted with the UCI. Allow me to remind everyone what Anne Gripper said just this past June about doping:

"I’m really confident that we have a far higher number of clean riders than ever before"

A lot of us called BS on that, and time and again we've been proven correct, this is just one more case, one more example. Manzano said one more thing in that interview and I'm going to copy it, as I think he's on to something, when asked "what is the solution?"

"Fire all the sporting directors. Riis is showing the example. It's good that he admitted (doping), now he has to make the next step which is to quit the sport. How can he be taken as credible? He's admitted to doping and now he wants us to believe...drugs won't be used anymore? There's only one solution: he must leave! And along with him all the sporting directors who have been working for the past 10 years have to quit also. They're the responsible ones. The directors are the ones who blackmail the cyclists, they put pressure on the riders to take the epo and all the drugs and the cyclists can't refuse if they want to ride for the team. These directors are the ones who prolong the system and little by little pressure the pros into it. First you go slowly, then you fall slowly then you realize you've thrown everything away."

Full interview here. Should be mandatory reading for anyone entering the Clinic.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Despite some humorous posts, especially yours, workingclasshero, this is a pretty big, and pretty upsetting issue. That interview to Manzano is very incisive, very to the point and brutally honest. Who could seriously deny what he says as being accurate???

This also makes me even more disgusted with the UCI. Allow me to remind everyone what Anne Gripper said just this past June about doping:

"I’m really confident that we have a far higher number of clean riders than ever before"

A lot of us called BS on that, and time and again we've been proven correct, this is just one more case, one more example. Manzano said one more thing in that interview and I'm going to copy it, as I think he's on to something, when asked "what is the solution?"

"Fire all the sporting directors. Riis is showing the example. It's good that he admitted (doping), now he has to make the next step which is to quit the sport. How can he be taken as credible? He's admitted to doping and now he wants us to believe...drugs won't be used anymore? There's only one solution: he must leave! And along with him all the sporting directors who have been working for the past 10 years have to quit also. They're the responsible ones. The directors are the ones who blackmail the cyclists, they put pressure on the riders to take the epo and all the drugs and the cyclists can't refuse if they want to ride for the team. These directors are the ones who prolong the system and little by little pressure the pros into it. First you go slowly, then you fall slowly then you realize you've thrown everything away."

Full interview here. Should be mandatory reading for anyone entering the Clinic.

+1

Great post.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Actually - I am surprised that no-one has commented on Manzano's admission on how to avoid a positive result. Anyone for a rice cake?

"How do you explain you never tested positive?"
-I told you about the clinic that fudged everything. There is a red powder that's made in an illegal lab just for them outside of any controls which destroys the urine sample. This powder comes in the form of a grain of rice that we put into our penis before we pee. The russian epo caused my teammates to be caught.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:

good interview...

but 2 years old and nothing happens about it.. the entire spanish system is corrupt.. what a shock!

it does seem though that the spanish police are much keaner for justice than the spanish authorities are.. maybe something will come out of these latest raids..

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
good interview...

but 2 years old and nothing happens about it.. the entire spanish system is corrupt.. what a shock!

it does seem though that the spanish police are much keaner for justice than the spanish authorities are.. maybe something will come out of these latest raids..

What you have to remember in the Operation Puerto investigation was that there were no laws in place to charge the 200 athletes.

The law came because of Puerto - however it was not allowed to be retroactive, which was a political decision.
This is why I think this new investigation could have more repercussions.

Spain certainly has a problem - but I don't think it is much worse than most countries with the exceptions of Germany and France.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I can order EPO for as little as $55 online, so if some B grade Cat 2 hackcan order it easily, what is to stop a pro from doing it?

As for Manzano's suggestion, I would rather The Hog went first and a special law in place where he can't write anymore crap books (not so much the myth that he is pushing, but he is a lousy writer, telling from one story, to the time when he was riding for Rabobank at the 1996 Tour and went off the Cormet de Roselend, and most chapters being about the same topic). And I would rather keep a guy like Marc Madiot in the sport, realising his errors by helping to enforce omerta on Bassons, to picking up young riders and giving them a chance without the pressure of results.

I could be wrong, but Riis and The Hog comes to who seems less slimier, and that seems to be Riis.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

I had not read that article before, wasn't familiar with the Manzano story.

Having read it how the hell an the UCI say they are doing everything to cut out doping when they are ignoring someone giving dopers to them on a platter?... Manzano appears to be way more effective than any blood passport results... It is just ridiculous

Big GMaC said:
I had not read that article before, wasn't familiar with the Manzano story.

Having read it how the hell an the UCI say they are doing everything to cut out doping when they are ignoring someone giving dopers to them on a platter?... Manzano appears to be way more effective than any blood passport results... It is just ridiculous

I always love the comments on these articles. My favorite being: "Seriously-
What hasn't Lance put in or on his pecker. Dude humps anything. Used to hire prosties for the Postal team party in Vegas too. Rice ain't got nuthin on hookers."

- as a side - when Manzano first came out with his claims the UCI said they would sue him!

Yes, the UCI only acknowledged Manzano's information under extreme external pressure. It was really the Spaniards that used it that lead to Operation Puerto. And that really tells you something, as most people find the Spaniards the least interested in curbing doping. And yet, the UCI is even less interested in information than they are.

Same with Kohl earlier this year. Remember that? Pops positive, spill his guts, and "Chief Wiggum" Pat McQuaid dismissed all of his claims, and did everything he could to silence him. It wasn't until the huge uproar and how painfully obvious it was that the vast majority of what Kohl was saying had to be completely accurate, and Kohl cooperating with legal authorities, that the UCI started to cave in, and very reluctantly listen to what he had to say.

Simply astounding.

LeMond was completely right in calling the UCI corrupt in their inability and disinterest in seriously fighting doping. Oh, and they sued him for that as well.

:mad:

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
elizab said:
I have the pdf of this article. How do I put it on here? Computer help needed....

You can put the file on a free file hosting server, in return a link would be generate and then share/copy here the link of the hosted file.

Just google "free hosting file", chose a website.

A

Anonymous

elizab said:
I have the pdf of this article. How do I put it on here? Computer help needed....

FULL ARTICLE HERE

you can view it online (will zoom to fullscreen), the pdf is also there but the onscreen viewer is better...

Dim

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
Yes.

Half the Russian walking team couldn't go to Beijing Olympics because of doping.

--------
As for bagging the walking as a sport (someone mentioned earlier) I gaurantee you the race walkers can run faster and longer than most people here. They are ridiculously fit, the just look stoopid.

I think it is a blight on athletics, because for me, a race is about getting from A to B the quickest. it's not about collecting points, doing something with a different technique. Hurdles, Steeplechase, Race walking, they are all ways of slowing down running.

Add to that the ridiculous "strokes' in the sport of swimming. People praise Phelpsy, but lets face it, no other athlete can enter 8 events.

If athletics had a 100, 200 and 400 metre sprint, but backwards, add another 3 medals to Bolts tally. If athletics had the 100, 200 and 400 running sideways, add another 3 to Bolts tally. Then, if they had a medley, back and forth 300 metre sprint (sideways forth, backwards back, forwards last) then add another medal to Bolt's tally.

Not to mention all those races in a 'team relay' format, add another 4 medals to Bolt's tally.

Race walking is in no way comparable to obstacles imposed on running races. It is an artificial limitation on the competitor's ability, not the parcours. As commentator Bob Costas once ably put it: "Race walking is like having a constest to see who can whisper the loudest".

TRENDING THREADS