• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

More races gone?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
TMP402 said:
Bayern Rundfahrt gone.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2016-bayern-rundfahrt-at-risk-due-to-budget-shortfall/

However, ASO plan to revive the Deutschland Tour in 2018.

I'm curious - how many stages are there usually in the Deutschland Tour.
I never managed to watch it before it got cut.

The last few editions seem to have been 9 stages, starting with a prologue or TTT and ending with a farly considerable (30km) ITT.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

TourOfSardinia said:
TMP402 said:
Bayern Rundfahrt gone.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2016-bayern-rundfahrt-at-risk-due-to-budget-shortfall/

It used to have 9 stages and in 2005 and 2007 they had a MTF on the Rettenbachferner.
I was never a big fan of the Deutschlandrundfahrt.

My biggest concern is that the Deutschland Tour always tried to be like the Tour rather than utilize what it could potentially do with German terrain, and ASO being in charge of the revival will only exacerbate that. You can have a real all-rounder's week-long race in Germany all over the place, from echelon-baiting carnage in the north, brutal, cobbled ex-DDR roads in Sachsen-Anhalt, real Classics hardman terrain in Saxony, the Nürburgring's history of the sport, some tough-but-not-too-tough mountain stages in the Schwarzwald, and some chaotic puncheur's terrain around the Rhine-Mosel area and the Saarland. And the Berchtesgadener Land is there if they want to hire Angelo Zomegnan.

Mayomaniac said:
TourOfSardinia said:
TMP402 said:
Bayern Rundfahrt gone.

It used to have 9 stages and in 2005 and 2007 they had a MTF on the Rettenbachferner.
I was never a big fan of the Deutschlandrundfahrt.
The 2005 Rettenbachferner stage is always the image that pops up in my mind when the speak is on Deutshland Tour. Levi and Georg dropping Jan was an epic sight. I'm happy to hear of the plans to revive the race, but I agree with LS, that they should try to utilize the german terrain giving different kinds of riders a chance to win it. In that case a stage in the Harz "Mountains", where the climbs are tough but not too long, could be ideal depending on the route.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

vedrafjord said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deutschland-tour-to-re-launch-as-aso-sign-groundbreaking-partnership-with-german-federation/

The route will be designed to "play to the strengths of German riders" with sprints and Classics-flavoured stages intended to showcase the home talent.

Hopefully means Degenkolb stages rather than Kittel stages.
Hopefully not another Bayern Rundfahrt, that would be aweful.

If it's 9 stages, and stages 8 and 9 are a Hölle des Ostens cobbled stage around Halle and an ITT in Cottbus, we'll have done OK.

What I really want is Teufelstein and Steiler Wand. And a real up-and-down-all-day stage in the Taunus, Rhön or Thüringer Wald mountains.

Bayern Rundfahrt is possibly the race with the worst ratio of "actual quality:potential quality" in the history of cycling.

The Classica Corsica was a 1.1 race held for the first time in March last year, with a course based on the 2013 Tour de France stages on the island. They haven't updated their website since last year and there appears to be no mention of the race this year. Does anyone know more?

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
Preferably I would've loved ASO to organize Course de la Paix again, instead. More tradition, more passion, more prestigious. Too bad they ain't got the name rights for it! :(
The German market is more promising for ASO right now.

lemon cheese cake said:
staubsauger said:
Preferably I would've loved ASO to organize Course de la Paix again, instead. More tradition, more passion, more prestigious. Too bad they ain't got the name rights for it! :(
I think Libertine would have as well!

Not sure, they (any of them) would have. The Peace Race owned by ASO, what horror! I'd rather it be inexistent than this. If it is to phenix, it has to be organised by an independent organization, not that octopus.

Echoes said:
lemon cheese cake said:
staubsauger said:
I think Libertine would have as well!

Not sure, they (any of them) would have. The Peace Race owned by ASO, what horror! I'd rather it be inexistent than this. If it is to phenix, it has to be organised by an independent organization, not that octopus.
I mean in terms of seeing the race come back as a pro race rather than just a U23 race. I wasn't being specific about the ASO at all.

TRENDING THREADS