• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moreno big-talking...

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm shocked this wasn't jumped on yet. Maybe it's a bit telling of the age of posters here...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/argentin-hits-out-at-contador-and-the-uci

Lots of interesting comments from the Italian stalion... Not a lot of love for the media-modulated personas of today's stars...

Mind you Gewiss wasn't without their problems.

What do you think of his attitude, and how does his history impact the weight of his attitudes?

Bring it on, Clinicians...

JMBeaushrimp said:
I'm shocked this wasn't jumped on yet. Maybe it's a bit telling of the age of posters here...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/argentin-hits-out-at-contador-and-the-uci

Lots of interesting comments from the Italian stalion... Not a lot of love for the media-modulated personas of today's stars...

Mind you Gewiss wasn't without their problems.

What do you think of his attitude, and how does his history impact the weight of his attitudes?

Bring it on, Clinicians...

Aregentin was the first of Ferrari's clients and benefited big-time from their association. Argentin is now basically saying there is no way he would have put up with all this anti-doping effort & talk, it would have been buried by ometra in his day.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Aregentin was the first of Ferrari's clients and benefited big-time from their association. Argentin is now basically saying there is no way he would have put up with all this anti-doping effort & talk, it would have been buried by ometra in his day.

Agreed.

But now he wants to spout off about how riders 'these days' have no b*lls or personalities that are worth following.

What is his attitude? Is it that doping controls should be lightened to allow the riders to race? Is it that the riders should say 'stuff it' to the UCI and make their own rules? Is it that riders should be a bit more arrogant, and tell all of us to 'get f*cked' and mind our own business?

Or is it simply that he longs for the old days where you could be jacked to the eye balls, be a hero, and suck up all the glory while the fans look upon your incredible performance with ignorant adoration?

Hey, it's Moreno after all...

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
pmcg76 said:

He'd never get the chance. That was Jan Raas' job.

Jan Raas

raas_j.jpg
would have taken an anti-doper and literally kicked the crap out of him before the stage began, then during the "go-slow" first 100K, he'd openly mock him in front of the other riders. Old school Omerta, coach!

hansons45.jpg

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
Agreed.

But now he wants to spout off about how riders 'these days' have no b*lls or personalities that are worth following.

What is his attitude? Is it that doping controls should be lightened to allow the riders to race? Is it that the riders should say 'stuff it' to the UCI and make their own rules? Is it that riders should be a bit more arrogant, and tell all of us to 'get f*cked' and mind our own business?

Or is it simply that he longs for the old days where you could be jacked to the eye balls, be a hero, and suck up all the glory while the fans look upon your incredible performance with ignorant adoration?

Hey, it's Moreno after all...

On one hand, the riders and doping enablers are holding the sport hostage, and on the other hand, strangely enough, the riders let the UCI walk all over them as far as how they're treated by team owners in regards to salary, equality as far as rules applications, etc. On one hand, I think the riders should do a serious unionization, but on the other hand, if they had one, they'd use it to help enable them to dope better.

SHT_Sandwich_Racks_Hong_K.jpg

Talk about lack of spine. He's not even saying what he really means. He left this huge area for people to interpret. I'm guessing this interview is aimed at the riders, and they will understand what he means - telling them to keep their mouths shut and uphold the omerta like he did in his time, and everything will be fine.

He's also wrong about Contador calculated for only the Tour. The man won the Giro and the Vuelta in the same year. He's also spoke in 2010 about trying to ride in both of those races again in the next couple of years, and maybe try to pull off another double. The man is built for GT's. He's not a classics racer. This would be like accusing Mark Cavendish for not trying to pick up more KOM points in a GT.

Even his complaints about the UCI are misplaced. It's not so much they are a business that's the problem, it's that they are not just or objective and seemingly corrupt and manipulated by outside influence - even "donations".

Whomever did this interview should have grilled him to clarify and define what he was saying when he made these statements. :mad:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
My guess is he is refering to the attitude that riders have today. I never followed him but I think he is talking about aggressive attacking, spectacular riding, riders putting there heart and souls out there on the road.
Speaking of Contador I love him as a rider though I do not like his personality. Schleck I love as a rider and a personality.
I do not think Argentin was speaking about doping except maybe he was insinuating that riders should be allowed to dope?
I never followed him so I don't know.

LOL, this is the only thing Argentin is right about:

"Now the riders are all robots. Punctures and crashes are part of the sport. But with radios the riders seem to be controlled by a joystick. The whole sport is in a mess.”

EPO was good to Moreno. It was "no more dangerous than orange juice" as Il Doctore Ferrari said shortly after Argentin's Gewiss trio stomped all over LBL. Moreno clearly thinks riders like Franco should stand up and say "GTFO of my blood, I'll take whatever drugs I want so I can do what Moreno Argentin did back before they had EPO tests!" Those spineless riders need to stand up and declare their right to stick as many needles as they want into their own bodies. Such super tough guys. The hard men of cycling aren't afraid of needles!

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
No flick, he was echoing what 'Cipo said. That (unlike he and Mario), today's riders are pussies. From how they race to how some don't stick to Omerta.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Yes we know.

I know how you all feel about me. Kick me when I am down, Lance no tweets, winter wet, days gray, lack of liquid bread. I can shoulder the haters bitter, jelous attitude. Just take it easy on Americas' sweetheart Mr. Lance Armstrong, and the authentic champion Mr. Argentin Moreno. They are champions just like Greg...... see I am playing nice now.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
No flick, he was echoing what 'Cipo said. That (unlike he and Mario), today's riders are pussies.

I thought argentin was saying to the riders stand up for your rights and I mean the rights to dope. I am not making a judgement call on Argentin as I am interested in his opinion.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
The guy's a "has been" He ought to just shut up and climb back into the hole he crept out of, to regurgitate his bile. Man, I am so tired of all the people who are just whining about the sport. If you don't like the sport, Go Away!
I mean, we could "discuss" someone's distaste for the sport, but WHY???? It's like being in a dysfunctional relationship and perpetuating it on and on, ad nauseum, and whining to friends constantly about it. Do you think the friends are enjoying the whining?? (I'm telling you, they're being polite to the whiner).
These guys that sound off on Bicycling and it's riders are simply shouting into the wind, and issuing forth a lot of evil sentiment. All for nothing. They ain't gonna change a damned thing, they're just trying to get in another few minutes of fame, from a negative vibe. They are the kind that keep cycling in the niche sport category, because cycling, to the casual observer, is defined by doping. Which is why I looked for this thread, to voice my opinion on the negative vibe that seems to nourish cycling fans. A vibe they seem to love. Too bad on them.
Merry Christmas to you all, and here's to a Happier New Year!:cool:

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
nowhereman said:
The guy's a "has been" He ought to just shut up and climb back into the hole he crept out of, to regurgitate his bile. Man, I am so tired of all the people who are just whining about the sport. If you don't like the sport, Go Away!
I mean, we could "discuss" someone's distaste for the sport, but WHY???? It's like being in a dysfunctional relationship and perpetuating it on and on, ad nauseum, and whining to friends constantly about it. Do you think the friends are enjoying the whining?? (I'm telling you, they're being polite to the whiner).
These guys that sound off on Bicycling and it's riders are simply shouting into the wind, and issuing forth a lot of evil sentiment. All for nothing. They ain't gonna change a damned thing, they're just trying to get in another few minutes of fame, from a negative vibe. They are the kind that keep cycling in the niche sport category, because cycling, to the casual observer, is defined by doping. Which is why I looked for this thread, to voice my opinion on the negative vibe that seems to nourish cycling fans. A vibe they seem to love. Too bad on them.
Merry Christmas to you all, and here's to a Happier New Year!:cool:

Well, that was uncalled for...

We're here to discuss the implications of doping in cycling, and its attending issues. This is someone who was up there in the scene for many years, with many big wins. I'm pretty sure the more intelligent parties on the forum will garner something usefull from his release.

As to your tirade? Probably not. Get back to killing things on your PS3, or wiriting your updated list for Santa...

Nice to see you can enlarge fonts on your post, though. Well done.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The guy who only bothered to try to win 3-4 races per year and completely switched off everywhere else is criticising Contador for only wanting the Tour?

Funny.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey, if you're not happy... Shut The F*ck Up!

Apparently that's what we all should do. I thought a few hundred years of institutional democracy may have beaten that out of most people, but I guess not...

Isn't this one of the milieus that we have to vent frustration on these very issues? Would you rather hitch your star to the wagon of entrenched power that really has no concern for you? Sorry, that one was answered.

I like to pick fights (theoretically speaking), and I honestly believe that cycling culture will only benefit from other d*cks like me speaking out. H*ll, what do we have to lose? The sports looking sketchy already...

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
There ARE some girlie-girls in the Peloton today - no doubt.
Hand holding, cheek strokes, delicate constitutions, tears.

But remember when Lance chased down Argentin and yelled "F You Chiapucci" just to insult him?
Oh man that was great!
Page 54:

http://books.google.com/books?id=k1...rmstrong argentin&pg=PA54#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thank you Polish! That was some darned inspiring reading there about Lance and cappacino. I mean argentina.

Seriously though I would much rather watch real sportsmen then a certain Alberto Contador, hand holding, touching(made me think of planet of the apes) arm and arm hugging tha t GRR that contador guy put on my Andy.

That is some don't say don't tell action in my book.

Cycling is a sport for real men! Leave it to the real men not the girlie men.

Argentin benefited greatly from the advent of EPO use in the peloton. His palmeres for the last 4 years of his career speak to this.

No way he wins any of those races if he wasn't as jacked up as all the other Italian racers.

He is speaking honestly and from the heart. The problem is he is a product of the prevailing cycling culture at the time.

The only thing we can be thankful for is that he's not involved in cycling anymore. I enjoyed watching hm as a rider, but that's where it ends.

His criticism of Contador is unfair considering Contador is one of a select few who gives a good showing in every event he enters. He makes his presence known, regardless of whether you like his personality or not, you cannot deny this fact & this is where Argentin is really not speaking fairly. Additionally Contador if anything has been neutered by the robotic racing strategies/tutelege of Bruyneel. He's always been an attacking rider and I believe upon his return he will once again continue in this vein. Something was amiss in this year's performances compared to 2009.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
His criticism of Contador is unfair considering Contador is one of a select few who gives a good showing in every event he enters. He makes his presence known, regardless of whether you like his personality or not, you cannot deny this fact & this is where Argentin is really not speaking fairly. Additionally Contador if anything has been neutered by the robotic racing strategies/tutelege of Bruyneel. He's always been an attacking rider and I believe upon his return he will once again continue in this vein. Something was amiss in this year's performances compared to 2009.

I thought Alberto was sandbagging this year. Could be a marketing stratagey by Bjarne Riis?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts