• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most Boring WorldTour Race (In General, Not This Year)?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Most Boring WorldTour Race (In General, Not This Year)?

• Tour of Beijing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I voted TDU. It wasn't as boring this year when Cam Meyer won, so maybe the race is beginning to evolve to more than a sprinter's Tour. If it were later in the year, it would probably be much better, but with it being the first race, I see it as a pre-season scrimmage through a beautiful country.

The Tour Down Under, Vattenfall (why is that ProTour when the infinitesimally better Frankfurt race isn't? There has never been a good race in Niedersachsen, possibly ever), Eneco.

Beijing could potentially join the list once we've had a couple of editions; there is at least the scope to provide a half decent race there given the terrain surrounding the area, even if the atmosphere is woeful and most riders don't really want to be there. But if it becomes established they could make it more interesting.

Eneco has had plenty of opportunities to make itself interesting and has deliberately avoided each and every one.

Also, based on the direction the parcours has been heading lately, the Volta a Catalunya takes the cake for "most disappointing" PT race, because it could be so much more than it is. This year it was six sprints and a race up to Pal.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
I vote for four of those. Except for TdF and Milan San Remo. Really.

Me, being from Colombia I am already pi$$ed off enough for not having a UCI sanctioned race just because they are too hard. I guess we are going backwards in progression.

I often thought a league system would be interesting. One for the Americas, etc. Probably not very practical for the WorldTour, but a world-league championship for the pro-contenental teams might work? It might provide more of spotlight and opportunity for undiscovered talent.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I know it shouldn't matter in the slightest, but for some reason races seem to lack some kind of atmosphere when there are no proper team vehicles.

The events just seem to feel more 'clinical'

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Tour down under gets voted the most boring race on the calendar, yet on this forum it gets more messages/stage than most other races..... Yep we're just happy to see professional cycling again after the break, may it be boring-*** professional cycling

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Fetisoff said:
Tour down under gets voted the most boring race on the calendar, yet on this forum it gets more messages/stage than most other races..... Yep we're just happy to see professional cycling again after the break, may it be boring-*** professional cycling

You guys perhaps, but I'm more than happy to watch my cyclocross during the winter. I don't bother watching Down Under and by looking at the race summaries I haven't missed a thing in doing so.

I wish they made Qatar World Tour. At least something happens there because of the echelons.

El Pistolero said:
You guys perhaps, but I'm more than happy to watch my cyclocross during the winter. I don't bother watching Down Under and by looking at the race summaries I haven't missed a thing in doing so.

I wish they made Qatar World Tour. At least something happens there because of the echelons.
For those races I don't even bother to look who the winner is. I have absolutely no interest at all.

I prefer to follow second tier and more interesting races in America and even Asia than these boring races.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It sucks to have to say this, but Tour Down Under is the most boring race in the World Tour.

The only reason I can get excited about it is because it is the first event with all the international and Aussie riders competing together and it is an event that gets televised.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Nice OP there.

So does the World Championships, FW and so will RVV;)

I would agree that circuits can be boring and dont neccesarily do the best job of making the race a "Tour" of Poland, but on the other hand, its good for the fans, offers something different, can make a stage very hard if 1 very hard climb is repeated many times.

Also it does bring the race around the country unlike the Tour de Melbourne Suburbs.

But none of these things neccearily make it boring.

While it has arguably had the worst field of all WT races in the last 2 years, I think most would agree that it has been a pretty exciting race.

TDU for me, followed closely by Beijing and Eneco.
wow - you sure know you're cycling. since when does TDU cycle around melbourne - EVER?
next time, look at a map.

danjo007 said:
wow - you sure know you're cycling. since when does TDU cycle around melbourne - EVER?
next time, look at a map.

It's around Adelaide, but I think we can forgive Hitch on the basis that every year when the TDU rolls around we get an argument between people from different areas of Australia, and the majority are Victorians complaining that the race would be better if they had it.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
It's around Adelaide, but I think we can forgive Hitch on the basis that every year when the TDU rolls around we get an argument between people from different areas of Australia, and the majority are Victorians complaining that the race would be better if they had it.

Don't get me started!:D

I do think TDU will be more interesting this year. The Hilltop finish on Wilunga Hill will be good. Also, Instead of going over the hilly Stirling circuit 2.5 times they will be going over it 4 times. Should make things more descisive and interesting.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:

Every sporting event would be better if the Victorians had it, just ask Jeff.

auscyclefan94 said:
It sucks to have to say this, but Tour Down Under is the most boring race in the World Tour.

The only reason I can get excited about it is because it is the first event with all the international and Aussie riders competing together and it is an event that gets televised.

No it does not! After a crappy winter like we had here last year it is a race that I (sadly?) look forward too to get an early fix:) Next year's course looks better though:)

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Part of the flat, somewhat boring nature of the TdU is driven by requests from teams not to make the race course too difficult. Its the first race of the season with most guys (except those who head south for the winter) coming off nothing more than some base training miles in cold climates to be hit with the first race of the year in 40 deg heat, so Im sure some of the riders appreciated being eased back into the race season with a somewhat easy course.

Personally, yes its boring, but I appreciate being able to see a race that doesn't finish at 2am.

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
TDU has issues but then again I enjoy it because it means the racing is back on.

I think TDU has suffered because of its timing.

i know in the past it teams have made it clear that they do not want too hard a race at that point in the season. so the only way they could get some of the better teams and riders to attend was by having a sprint based tour without too many climbs. This has always been one of the reasons for not having a hill top finish to a stage. Even now with compulsory attendance there only chance of getting something competitive is to focus on getting the better sprinters to attend.

some of the other races do not have this excuse

Edit - just seen Pcutters comment above when i saved mine - apologies for repeating what they said

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Sorry. My bad. I got confused between Adelaide and Melbourne.

Apologies for getting them mixed up.

Don't get Melbourne (n.o1 city in the world) confused with a backwater city being Adelaide! :D (only joking)

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Don't get Melbourne (n.o1 city in the world) confused with a backwater city being Adelaide! :D (only joking)
I wouldnt say #1 - far from it, but it is better than adelaide hands down.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
TOB blows, its near the end of the season, nothing but 2nd stringers and 1st stringers riding to not get hurt (which were pretty much forced to go).

TDU is at least viewable in regards to get a baseline as to who's on which team and any new kit/bike changes, sort of like the introduction to the year. Yea, not the best action but at least something to watch to get a frame of reference.

Eneco, well it the filler before the next GT (Vuelta), not great but not the worse.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Yeah the TdU sucks so hard. That's why it's where riders like Alberto Contador, Luis Leon Sanchez, Cadel Evans, Peter Sagan and Matt Goss decide to show off their future potential...

Eneco sucks, California sucks, China so far sucks, any race won by the best TT'er on the first day sucks. The TdU and Poland are a league above them, still not Lomabardia or Flanders, but no where near the waste of space Eneco or any tour around Melbourne would be. ACF, come over here and hang out for the week before bagging the TdU again, I'll take you for a ride up a few of the little hills we have and we'll see if you sing the same tune about Adelaide afterwards.

TRENDING THREADS