• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most disappointing drug suspension?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not sure, but really disappointed to find out here that Cadel Evans doped.

Not so surprising: Flandis
Not at all surprising, disappointing or upset at: Wonderboy

Only the blind, clueless, deaf and dumb didn't believe he was doping. It's just not humanly possible what he did. Plus, pre-doping, his best tour finish was what, 34th? Then he "suddenly" rattles off 7 wins in a row, and no one thought he was doping? Lol.

Surprised they weren't suspended(even though we can all pretty much agree that they were doping):

Indurain/Nibali/Astana

Re:

86TDFWinner said:
Surprised they weren't suspended(even though we can all pretty much agree that they were doping):

Indurain/Nibali/Astana
Usually there needs to be a prequisite for a suspension, I don't know if there was any real "case" against Indurain in the 1990s except that he was fast and was affiliated with Conconi somehow.

I think that the Lance Armstrong suspension was a disappointment because it was mostly a huge waste of money and the future dopers learned only how to be more careful.

Perhaps one good thing it caused is that LA appears today to be a nicer dude, true or not.

it would be Cobo, but it's so long ago now that it feels like nothing. they cant steal my memories of watching Angliru and Pena Cabarga. it's also hilarious that the guy who inherits his win actually tested positive at another Vuelta, that he also won, but he got to keep it.

Re: Re:

rick james said:
Koronin said:
rick james said:
Koronin said:
Froome NOT being given a ban he should have had.

I think someone who was given a ban the most disappointing for me is Sammy Sanchez at the end of his career.

ban for being found innocent...

Except he wasn't found innocent. They literally NEVER cleared him. Also his adjusted numbers are still HIGHER than Petachi's UNADJUSTED numbers.

I think you are struggling to understand what happened, Froome never got charged, it didn't go to a hearing, he had no case to answer.....how you can try and spin it so it seems was he was guilty because he never to went to a tribunal to fight a charge is beyond me, that is seriously deluded way of looking at things...how the hell can they find him innocent or guilty of a charge that never existed?

He got asked to explain and abnormal finding, he explained it, so no charges were brought on him

Nope, he never provided a good explanation and his ADJUSTED numbers are still HIGHER than Petacchi's UNADJUSTED numbers. They have NOT cleared Petacchi, thus Froome IS guilty and they just didn't purse it BECAUSE of the Sky's money. If they had no case then why was Petacchi given a ban for a LOWER level? As long as Petacchi is guilty then Froome by definition is guilty.

Most disappointing was the eve of the 2006 TDF. Ullrich, Basso, Mancebo...among others. Operation Puerto did damage though funnily enough, most of it seems to be swept under the rug. In any case, was really looking forward to the Ullrich vs Basso duel. I was really confident in Ullrich's ability to finally get that second TDF title and at the age of 32, he seemed to be gaining steam following a destruction of the Giro field in the long TT and a come from behind Tour de Suisse win just a couple weeks before the TDF. I am sure you guys remember how strong the T-Mobile team was at the tour. Gonchar won both long TT's. In the first long TT, the team peppered the top 15 spots, Klöden was looking strong, Rogers, Guerini, Sinkewitz, Kessler, Mazzoleni...Rogers had the best placing at a TDF ever, in 9th. Klöden initially finished 3rd, but after Landis's DQ, was 'promoted' to 2nd, and agonizingly 32 sec back of Pereiro. That could have been Ullrich's year and if he was motivated and healthy, 'could have' challenged for another 2-3 years, I am sure of it.

He wasn't officially suspended until Feb 2007, but one had the feeling he was done with the removal from the Tour. Basso had an easier time of it, but he too lost a good opportunity to win a tour.

Yes, I was a big Ullrich fan and I liked Basso, both seemed like really down to earth guys.

The other pity is the following year with Rasmussen, especially after Contador's positive in 2010 and his potential involvement in the Puerto affair.

Yes, this is most certainly a thread where we all vouch for our favorites and those we sympathize with.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
Most disappointing was the eve of the 2006 TDF. Ullrich, Basso, Mancebo...among others. Operation Puerto did damage though funnily enough, most of it seems to be swept under the rug. In any case, was really looking forward to the Ullrich vs Basso duel. I was really confident in Ullrich's ability to finally get that second TDF title and at the age of 32, he seemed to be gaining steam following a destruction of the Giro field in the long TT and a come from behind Tour de Suisse win just a couple weeks before the TDF. I am sure you guys remember how strong the T-Mobile team was at the tour. Gonchar won both long TT's. In the first long TT, the team peppered the top 15 spots, Klöden was looking strong, Rogers, Guerini, Sinkewitz, Kessler, Mazzoleni...Rogers had the best placing at a TDF ever, in 9th. Klöden initially finished 3rd, but after Landis's DQ, was 'promoted' to 2nd, and agonizingly 32 sec back of Pereiro. That could have been Ullrich's year and if he was motivated and healthy, 'could have' challenged for another 2-3 years, I am sure of it.

He wasn't officially suspended until Feb 2007, but one had the feeling he was done with the removal from the Tour. Basso had an easier time of it, but he too lost a good opportunity to win a tour.

Yes, I was a big Ullrich fan and I liked Basso, both seemed like really down to earth guys.

The other pity is the following year with Rasmussen, especially after Contador's positive in 2010 and his potential involvement in the Puerto affair.

Yes, this is most certainly a thread where we all vouch for our favorites and those we sympathize with.

Full agree. Will never forget that 'black friday', especially because the box with my long awaited (some socks weren't at stock or something like that) T-Mobile 2006 team gear (I used to be a big Ulligan also and had just bought a road bike) only arrived that afternoon, after that horrible morning. It felt a bit like with my team Ajax, having the CL final in the bag to only lose it in the dying seconds. I was convinced as hell, like you were, that he would cling that second Tour win. I visualized the race in my mind a couple of thousand times beforehand :lol:.

That Tour turned out only more frustrating because, with only 7 riders, the -T--- army wasn't able (or didn't want) to hold first Pereiro and later Landis within sight. Yes Landis pulled an incredible thing there, but he was given a sh*t load of time by the others also. Klöden was hands down the best rider overall that Tour. What a shame.

Dopers from my country: Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche. Both had a lot of style and panache on the bike. Roche had an even more pleasant cycling style. Many riders are pleasing to the eye: Nibali, Valverde, Contador are examples. Some riders have an ugly cycling style. I'll leave the examples as homework.

Re:

topcat said:
Dopers from my country: Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche. Both had a lot of style and panache on the bike. Roche had an even more pleasant cycling style. Many riders are pleasing to the eye: Nibali, Valverde, Contador are examples. Some riders have an ugly cycling style. I'll leave the examples as homework.

IMO, Style is for people who don't race or have forgotten. I respect strength and courage. Nibali and Contador had strength, courage and style. Nibali's win at MSR was a highlight, GC riders are not supposed to win that race. Contador's attacks in 2011 TdF despite Giro in his legs was strength and courage. He was also mega strong in the stage 20 TT quite amazing really. Valverde is a climber who can sprint. He is lower ranked in my book.

BullsFan22 said:

Yes the 2006 was the worst.

Most disappointing: Pantani in Giro '99. It wasn't an actual ban, but a "two week suspension for health reasons". There were some interesting conspiracy theories involving the betting mafia etc.

Rasmussen being thrown out of the Tour also wasn't a ban, although he would be banned later. It showed cycling at its ugliest, with manipulations behind the screen and unequal treatment of riders.

The most painful actual ban was indeed Ullrich, Basso etc. in 2006, when I had high expectations for the Tour for the first time in years.

The most painful non-ban was indeed Froome. It made WADA and UCI look like corrupt organizations that set different rules for the richest team.

TRENDING THREADS