• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most disappointing riders so far

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
haha... errr...

first off your stats are wrong. Rabobank have 19 wins this season, not 10 ;)
TDU stage 3 (Matthews)
Qatar Prologue (Boom)
Oman Stage 1 (Bos)
Oman Stage 3 (Bos)
Oman Stage 4 (Gesink)
Oman Stage 5 (Gesink)
Oman Overall (Gesink)
Oman Youth (Gesink)
Vuelta a Andalucía Stage 4 (Friere) :)
Vuelta a Andalucía Stage 5(Friere) :)
Vuelta a Andalucía Points (Friere) :)
Omloop (Langeveld)
Vuelta a Murcia Stage 1 (Matthews)
T-A TTT (Rabobank)
T-A Youth (Gesink)
Basque Points (Tankink)
Vuelta a Castilla y León Combination (Mollema)
Vuelta a Castilla y León Team (Rabobank)
Rund um Köln (Matthews)

The wins I put in bold I find a little far fetched and even insulting to the victory list. These I don't consider real wins (in TDF, yes).
Nice list though!

I also added a smiley face where you wrote Friere instead of Freire (3 times).

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
boomcie said:
The wins I put in bold I find a little far fetched and even insulting to the victory list. These I don't consider real wins (in TDF, yes).
Nice list though!

I also added a smiley face where you wrote Friere instead of Freire (3 times).

I didn't wanna add them either, but please refer to el pickles win list of '10 :)
still makes the win list 13 (2011) vs 6 (2010) and thus my point stands. Not even including the better results overall (non-victories)

yeah sorry misspelled + c/paste techniques :p

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Yep. Forgot about him. I'm a bit unsure about Basso. Andy Schleck was very unimpressive all spring last year. He did nothing at the ToC, yet was spectacular at the Tour. Maybe Basso is just focusing on the TdF exclusively.

basso himself has said he wanted to get good results in spring and was in early shape. he was also disapointed with his own results he has said

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I didn't wanna add them either, but please refer to el pickles win list of '10 :)

Makes sense now. Your list at least.

still makes the win list 13 (2011) vs 6 (2010) and thus my point stands. Not even including the better results overall (non-victories)

Correct.

I figured as much :)

Ryo Hazuki said:
basso himself has said he wanted to get good results in spring and was in early shape. he was also disapointed with his own results he has said

Yep, you're right, I remember Basso's comments after getting dropped by Contador. I think he's feeling some disappointment, but I'm not sure why he's not racing at a higher level. Haven't seen a whole lot from Nibali either, though he's prepping for the Giro, so perhaps he's saving his energy.

As a team, Liquigas have been a bit muted this season.

A

Anonymous

Rip:30 said:
For this season I'd add: EBH and Cunego.

I'd take Boonen off. Interesting case, will he ever dominate again?

+1.............................

roundabout said:
He's old. Not everyone's a Horner.

+1
He's put in much grunt work earlier in his career so IMO he's entitled to his gradual decline in abilities. I'm personally pleased that he's been able to procure his Tour win and strong showings in the Giro (2009?) and Vuelta (multiple years). He's gotten a bit cranky recently but in some instances he was correct in demanding the respect that is warranted a Tour winner.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:

News flash. Tour of Oman, Tour Down, Under and Qatar don't hold up to Milan-San Remo.

That's what? 8 wins?

They started good early, but after that, they really dropped the ball.

Sure Gesink has a second and third place at T-A/Pais Vasco, but imo he was climbing like crap in those races.

Omega Phil scores better on his own than super team Garmin-Cervelo :)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Climbing like crap, but still finishing podium and finishing ahead many reputated climbers even in the 'climb' stages.

What must those other riders have been doing? Climbing worse than crap? :eek:
Among them, a certain JvdB btw

Take away the TTT and ITT and see where he ends. Not the podium. Pais Vasco was a weird race, no gaps on any stage except the TT. The race just screams "Come here Contador".

Jvdb is just a domestique. Gesink is leader.

El Pistolero said:
Take away the TTT and ITT and see where he ends. Not the podium. Pais Vasco was a weird race, no gaps on any stage except the TT. The race just screams "Come here Contador".

Jvdb is just a domestique. Gesink is leader.
A domestique that finished top 10 in both the Tour and the Vuelta

Ok, it's official, you are crazy and not to be taken serious at all.
Besides, even if Gesink won all those Tours, you still would not give him credit, because A) he is Dutch and B) he is from Rabobank. You are too predictable