• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most Dominant in the Giro?

Most Dominant in the Giro?

• Contador '11

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Let's go ;)

How great Contador was, Basso was just insane. No clinic talk please. Just discuss who was more impressive and dominant.

Seriously that shape was so ridiculous. I'm sure he would have done the double, maybe even the triple? Prob not but shape was so good, maybe :D

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Basso 2006 was more dominant then Contador 2011, I´d say. He was also great in 2005, except the day he lost almost 45 minutes on Stelvio. 2006, he was great, dominant in the mountains and almost equal to Ullrich in the long Pontedera ITT.

The double, however, IMHO, wouldn´t have been possible. I thought it was possible when news about Ullrichs lack of shape came up at the end of April, just before he started his season in Romandie :)o). But if you see Ullrichs development from the Prologue in Romandie to the finishing ITT in Bern in the TdS, and regarding he still had two weeks after TdS to lose some weight and improve shape, Ullrich woukd´ve been favourite Nr 1 for the Tour.

Even if he realized the double, the triple might have been even harder. Sastre did all three GTs in 2006 for CSC, but not as a captain.

However, Basso in 2006 was so dominant, so who knows... But if you consider that even Contador said that the triple is almost impossible, I doubt Basso would have done it.

TRENDING THREADS