• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most Dope Tested Athlete in the History of Sport

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Erik Zabel

Over 200 wins
6 tour de france green jerseys (approximately 80 days in green)
3 points jerseys in the vuelta (another 20+ days)
1 points jersey in the giro

So 200 wins, 100 days wearing race leaders jerseys, plus random testing, extra controls etc. Zabel is probably heading towards 500 dope tests in his 15 year career.

And apart from a minor infraction in 1994 Zabel "Never Tested Positive"
. He has of course since admitted using EPO.

I think a case can be made that the most tested athlete is some type of cyclist though not necessarily Armstrong.

When counting the number of tests done the main thing to look at is when an athlete is tested. Looking at random testing by a national federation and out of competition testings etc is not going to cut it. I would instead look at tests done at competition as the main factor.

What I'm interested in knowing is how the testing regime works in other sports like running and swimming. I doubt that all athletes get tested after every preliminary heat or semi-final they swim or run. We do know however that cyclists who are in a leaders jersey generally get tested every day they wear the jersey. That accumulates into a lot of tests.

Another thing to consider is the biological passport. That has also increased the number of tests on any given rider no matter how successful they are. A case against Armstrong is that he hasn't been part of the entire blood passport period.

If I were to guess which athlete has been tested the most then I would guess some rider who has been riding since at least 1998 without a break and who has been very successful during that whole time. I don't know if such a rider exists but that would be my guess.

Polish, assuming Lance is (or, indeed, isn't) the most tested athlete in history, what do you aim to prove by this?

On the one side, one might argue that he was won a lot of races and is clean - if you believe he didn't fail any

On the other side, one might argue that he has failed (at least seven) tests but has been given some kind of amnesty

Or on the third side, one might argue that there has always been reasonable circumstantial evidence against Lance and hence has been targetted in numerous extra tests.

Couple point two with point three, and you might wish for him, as a big fan, not to be the most tested athlete in history. Couple one with two, and he is a known doper. Couple one with three and he is suspect. Kind of taints him somewhat whichever combination you take

TeamSkyFans said:
Erik Zabel

Over 200 wins

So 200 wins, 100 days wearing race leaders jerseys, plus random testing, extra controls etc. Zabel is probably heading towards 500 dope tests in his 15 year career.

Which was (***) Polisher's initial intent. By implying LA is the most tested, he is trying to prove that he is and always has been clean. Which you have easily refuted with your Zabel reference.

Which shows you how pointless the question is. How could Zabel be clean ? After riding for so long with so many self confessed dopers and banned riders he then admitted he took EPO once. What an angel. So he did not test positive. What does that prove with an anti doping system so full of holes that does not seem to be improving much.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
If I were to guess which athlete has been tested the most then I would guess some rider who has been riding since at least 1998 without a break and who has been very successful during that whole time. I don't know if such a rider exists but that would be my guess.

Have a look at the post immediately above yours. :cool:

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Fausto's Schnauzer said:
A link please? :)
I've tried a search of this site, pero no hubo suerte.

Here is the link I started in the summer. LA's ten year test record at USADA is a laughable 22 tests, making him hardly the most tested of many sports. From there some of the regular posters on The Clinic did a bit more digging for the rest of the numbers, you can read it all in the thread.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=9953

Bottom line is that when you pay your media pimps to spew the same lie over and over again, at some point they become the truth to the great unwashed; i.e., fanboys and the brain dead, uneducated masses. Hence the guy the other day claiming 5,000 tests; why not 50,000 tests.

May 22, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't really matter how many tests you've had if you test postive. It's not a percentage, 1/1 positive is still just as bad as 1/100.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
This is from Fabian Cancellara's twitter "What a nice present i get this morning doping-controll and this on Xmas time.Looks like they wona beat my record from last year.Had around55"

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
sartain said:
Here is the link I started in the summer. LA's ten year test record at USADA is a laughable 22 tests, making him hardly the most tested of many sports..

Check your maths, sartain, there are 27 tests.
Phelps had a few more than Lance, but not many more.

And again, this is not about the Americans/USADA last decade.
This thread is about the Global Most Tested Ever.

WADA / UCI / AFLD / Nat'l Feds / Bio Passport / ETC
Total career totals.

A Samples, B Samples
Hair Samples, Pee Samples

Lance raced on 5 Continents, 6 if you include Texas.

And there are detailed records kept of tests.
12 year old Frozen pee still in refridgerators to this day.

Who do YOU think is the Most Tested Athlete Ever?

2eezk7r.jpg

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
It's not closed because we can't answer the question.

I’m kinda’ disappointed we can’t answer this with real numbers. We call people stupid who quote that “he is the most tested athlete in history”. It’s as though they should know the facts. But when put to the test, this thread so far has been speculation and possible theories.

Can we get a link to some real numbers? I thought a while ago there was a report that showed LA wasn’t even the most tested US cyclist. I can’t find it, what is the right search?

I want to be able to cleanly refute this assertion.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Erik Zabel

Over 200 wins

Good point. Zabel would give Lance a run for the money.
Certainly as the Most Tested Cyclist Ever.

Although most if not all of Erik's TdF palamares came BEFORE the EPO Test was developed, most of Lance's came after. Of course, both stopped using EPO after the test was developed most probably.

But that has no bearing on the number of test performed on them.
Both were tested like crazy.
And Lance did not race during 2006-2008 and Erik did.
But Erik did not race during 2009-2010 and Lance did. Bio Passport time.

Erik did come in second place so many times. No tests performed.
Maybe if Erik had won all those, he would have a clear lead over Lance.
Can we call it a tie?

Most Tested Ever in the History of Sport:

1) Phelps
2) Erik/Lance (tie)
3) Carl Lewis

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
cat6cx said:
I’m kinda’ disappointed we can’t answer this with real numbers.
Can we get a link to some real numbers? I thought a while ago there was a report that showed LA wasn’t even the most tested US cyclist. I can’t find it, what is the right search?

Exactly. So far it seems that most of the available data has made its way into this thread. Unless I missed it the past year and a half seem to be all that's missing. There's got to be someone out there with the time and inclination to tally it all up. I'm very busy right now with project deadlines but surely there's a cubicle captive out there with nothing better to do. :rolleyes:

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
cat6cx said:

I’m kinda’ disappointed we can’t answer this with real numbers. We call people stupid who quote that “he is the most tested athlete in history”. It’s as though they should know the facts. But when put to the test, this thread so far has been speculation and possible theories.

We have the USADA numbers for last decade only.
Lance had 27 tests.

But what we need are the AFLD records and LNDD records.
UCI and WADA records.
They exist, the truth is out there.

I would guess the Career Total for Lance/Erik would be around 1000 tests.

A

Anonymous

Polish said:
We have the USADA numbers for last decade only.
Lance had 27 tests.

But what we need are the AFLD records and LNDD records.
UCI and WADA records.
They exist, the truth is out there.

I would guess the Career Total for Lance/Erik would be around 1000 tests.

Are you seriously suggesting that over 10 years, lance had 2-3 tests a week non stop?

This thread is pointless. You put up a perfectly good argument for Zabel and polish just replies with complete hogwash.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
cat6cx said:

it's been discussed use your search facility.

Kirsten Armstrong has been more tested than LA

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
it's been discussed use your search facility.

Kirsten Armstrong has been more tested than LA

Found a couple links to previous threads.

She was tested more by USADA, but I doubt she was tested more overall (Including UCI and WADA).

The data is out there, but I can't find it compiled or totaled anywhere.

I would guess from the smattering of data and knowledge of what triggers a test, that LA is somewhere in the upper half of ”most tested cyclists”, but I would be surprised if he was in the top 10%.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
cat6cx said:
Found a couple links to previous threads.

She was tested more by USADA, but I doubt she was tested more overall (Including UCI and WADA).

The data is out there, but I can't find it compiled or totaled anywhere.

I would guess from the smattering of data and knowledge of what triggers a test, that LA is somewhere in the upper half of ”most tested cyclists”, but I would be surprised if he was in the top 10%.

you add it up, he barely raced FFS, 3 events a year, compared to guys who raced all season inc 2 and sometimes 3 GTs, how he can he be in the top half?

how many out of competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS