• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most gutted when a rider abandons

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BrentonOfTheNorth said:
For me it was Beloki... was so dramatic, sudden, violent, shocking. The background of them chasing Vino on that crazy descent in extreme heat made the race really intense viewing in the moments leading up to the crash. Beloki crying in his DS' arms... :(

Pantani finished that Giro but are you referring to a crash on a mountain stage late in the race? I remember him sitting on the side of the road, dejected, eventually getting back on the bike.

Indeed all the no-shows in 2004 were disappointing. Mayo, Heras, and others... but especially Mayo. Plenty of conspiracy talk about Mayo's abandon in 2004 that cannot be discussed in this forum.

Yes, I couldn't remember whether he finished or not but he did look so completely done at that point sitting there draped in a towel. I was big fan of his and Simoni but I couldn't understand why Simoni chased him down when Pantani attacked, since he wasn't a threat to his Giro gc lead at the time. I think I remember Simoni saying that he regretted not letting Pantani go, thinking it would have given him one last moment of glory had he won that particular stage.

Carstenbf said:
Rolf Sørensen '91 Tour in the MJ.

Alberto yesterday comes close. :mad:

Yeah, that was rough. A lot of tears in the back of the ambulance I recall.

I know this doesn't quite fit the 'abandoned' tag, but S.Roche in the same tour riding the TTT by himself after missing the start time, thus getting eliminated - not sad particularly, but memorable.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
RobbieCanuck said:
A cyclist breaks his tibia and is forced to abandon and that makes you cold? YGTBKM!!!!!!!!!! How is he supposed to pedal? Or is AC's abandonment OK because he left in the team bus as opposed to an ambulance.

I did not say it makes me cold i said it leaves me cold. Like a feeling of loosing my blood. A chill that runs from my feet into my stomach. Sick feeling. Maybe the expression is new to you?

Master50 said:
I did not say it makes me cold i said it leaves me cold. Like a feeling of loosing my blood. A chill that runs from my feet into my stomach. Sick feeling. Maybe the expression is new to you?

"Leaves me cold" means that I am indifferent to it, that it has no effect on me--quite the opposite of what you intended.

If I've learned one thing about cycling that's:

Never underestimate Wiggins.

He'll never be a GC contender: boom, he goes 4th(3rd) in 2009
He'll never win le Tour: He wins in 2102
He's not as good TTer as Martin: Olympic champion in 2012
He won't be a factor in P-R: He finishes in the group of favorites in TOP 10

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
shalgo said:
"Leaves me cold" means that I am indifferent to it, that it has no effect on me--quite the opposite of what you intended.

well well so it does. Ok then. I did not use the expression correctly. That is the opposite of what I meant.
my original post with an appropriate edit.
Anyone that leaves the race in an ambulance, and even with lesser injuries a very close second. Any injury based abandon leaves me gutted

I used to think I spoke English well. Maybe not so much. Now how many other places have I given the heartless answer, thinking i meant sick or gutted?

Thanks both of you for setting me straight.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
If I've learned one thing about cycling that's:

Never underestimate Wiggins.

He'll never be a GC contender: boom, he goes 4th(3rd) in 2009
He'll never win le Tour: He wins in 2102
He's not as good TTer as Martin: Olympic champion in 2012
He won't be a factor in P-R: He finishes in the group of favorites in TOP 10

sorry buddy. 2012 shudnt be counted. (no clinic intended)

No point in getting carried away with just one notable yr.

Kloden 2011.

Well entrenched in the top ten on GC after eight stages (and coming off a promising season including victory in the tour of the basque country), Klodi crashed hard on stage nine, badly hurting his back. To add insult to injury he crashed again, on the first major descent of the first high mountain stage (12, to Luz Ardiden). He managed to finish that day, but ten minutes down, and abandoned during stage 13. Unlucky.

Also, Amets Txurruka in the 2010 País Vasco stage, when he crashed from the lead descending the Alto de Aia between the first and second ascents. It would have been a first career win in front of his home fans while wearing the GPM jersey, and it would have been glorious*.

*realistically Purito would more than likely have caught him, but where Amets is concerned, always dare to dream!

TRENDING THREADS