• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most gutted when a rider abandons

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
This year there have obviously been several very high profile riders abandon due to injury. Not the first time is sort of thing has happened and it won't be the last.

So which riders were you most gutted to see abandon a race? Doesn't have to be the TdF but stick to Grand Tours.

Personally Cav abandoning this year was gutting although I know there are a fair few on here who don't care for him. The first one I can really remember was Sean Kelly in 1987 TdF when he broke his collar bone. I was really gutted at the time.

Apologies for the phrasing of the title; couldn't think of a better on at the time..

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
When Ja Ja got wiped out in the home straight in Le Tour. (The polioceman incident)
Beloki crashing out of le Tour
Bobby Julich in le Tour the year Zulle came second

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Damn, now I went and watched Beloki's crash again. Still painful, watching him squirming in agony, with Azevedo calling for help, and knowing it was a career-ender.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
That Beloki one was awful. You realised pretty quickly that not only was he in a lot of pain and out of the tour when he had a good chance of winning but also that it was career threatening. Horrible.

Anyone remember Pascal Simon in 83 or Hinault in 80?

TRENDING THREADS