• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most gutted when a rider abandons

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
arvc40 said:
In 29 years watching I've never been as dissapointed as today with Contador. Wanted to see the show real bad.
Exactly this,and we only were left with this:mad:
150904_PIC468570928.jpg

This Tour is the worst I can remember for this sort of thing, to have both Froome & Contador out is >.>

I can't remember the last Tour, Vuelta or Giro that BOTH co-favorites crashed out :/

Hopefully they'll both recover soon !

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Contador - this year. Froome too because it would have been one of the greatest battle the TDF has ever seen. These guys would have been going mano a mano up the mountains. I have been waiting for this all year (or really since last year because I suspected Contador would be really motivated this year)

-Contador is the one that hits me the deepest.
-Juan Mauricio Soler Hernandez's career ending crash
-Joseba Beloki in 2003 (the most horrific)
-Igor Anton's crash that put an end to what seemed a sure Vuelta win
-Valverde's consecutive dnf's from the Tour (2005 & 2006), 2005 after beating
Armstrong on Courcheval (knee injury)
-Iban Mayo's Tour DNF after delivering the smack down on Armstrong at that year's Dauphine.
-Pantani's 2003 Giro. I truly believe that had he finished that Giro that he would still be alive now.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Some abandons have stung a little but crashes are part of this sport and I am usually pretty cool about it. Igor Anton stung. Alberto Contador going out today actually made my stomach ache. Gutted. Really was looking forward to watching him battle it out for the win this Tdf. I miss BERTO!!:(:(:(:(

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I would also agree with Rasmussen 07. I was ****ed, and to an extent still am. Hindsight analysis be damned, that's not how you handle things.

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
For me it was Beloki... was so dramatic, sudden, violent, shocking. The background of them chasing Vino on that crazy descent in extreme heat made the race really intense viewing in the moments leading up to the crash. Beloki crying in his DS' arms... :(

Angliru said:
-Contador is the one that hits me the deepest.
-Juan Mauricio Soler Hernandez's career ending crash
-Joseba Beloki in 2003 (the most horrific)
-Igor Anton's crash that put an end to what seemed a sure Vuelta win
-Valverde's consecutive dnf's from the Tour (2005 & 2006), 2005 after beating
Armstrong on Courcheval (knee injury)
-Iban Mayo's Tour DNF after delivering the smack down on Armstrong at that year's Dauphine.
-Pantani's 2003 Giro. I truly believe that had he finished that Giro that he would still be alive now.

Pantani finished that Giro but are you referring to a crash on a mountain stage late in the race? I remember him sitting on the side of the road, dejected, eventually getting back on the bike.

Indeed all the no-shows in 2004 were disappointing. Mayo, Heras, and others... but especially Mayo. Plenty of conspiracy talk about Mayo's abandon in 2004 that cannot be discussed in this forum.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Anton in the Vuelta.
Purito this year in the Giro.
Contador more than Froome, but I think that is just the order it happened in. Just more sad to see the 2nd contender abandon.

Master50 said:
Anyone that leaves the race in an ambulance with lesser injuries a very close second. Any injury based abandon leaves me cold.

A cyclist breaks his tibia and is forced to abandon and that makes you cold? YGTBKM!!!!!!!!!! How is he supposed to pedal? Or is AC's abandonment OK because he left in the team bus as opposed to an ambulance.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
I think there is some confusion about how people are expressing their feelings. I don't root for AC, but his crash was absolutely gutting for any fan of the sport.

For me although not in a GT, Cance in the Olympics from the lead.

Jspear said:
I commend you for your bravery in sticking out like a sore thumb. :p

:D I suppose recently this Tour has been a shocker with Cav and Froome going out in the first 5 days. Also now Contador gone who was the guy I'd put money on to win too.

From years ago I was gutted when Mayo abandoned the Tour as I honestly though he would kick Lances a** at the time!

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Big Doopie said:
+1 on Lemond.

Personally pretty thrilled contador is out. Wish he would leave cycling. Along with valverde.
Lol,you are sad cuz of Lemond and want the most entertaining rider Contador to leave..what kind of fool are you:eek:

Pantani in 1997 was very hard for me, as a teenager rooting for his idol.

But Beloki stands out the most. I had followed him for years, watching him relentlessly climbing those podium spots next to Lance. And when it finally looked like he had a chance of taking the jersey home, bang, end of the Tour, end of career. I haven't had a favorite rider for years after him, didn't want to be emotionally involved in such a cruel sport :(

Gutted with the Ivan Basso crash at Etna that took him out of the tdf (yea, it was not during a race but still he could have won that year :p)
I don't remember whether anyone abandoned or not but Giro 2007 where several riders crash as they came to the finish line was hilarious.

TRENDING THREADS