• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most likely to challenge Contador?

Who is most likely to rival Contador in GTs?

• Someone else(write in below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So who is most likely to be AC's major competition in GTs over the next several years?

Vote, and if you can, post why below. I tried to limit the list to riders who are 30 and under and who have already had a top 10 result.

Of course, you are welcome to vote 'someone else' and pick someone different, older, or who hasn't figured in a GT yet. If you do vote for someone different, make sure to post who you think it will be.

Valverde is included despite his likely suspension because, at this point, he's still riding and is fairly young anyway.

I almost included Tommy D as a joke but realized I was somehow missing Wiggins.

As much as I hate to do it, I'm going to say Ricco. I just think the guy has loads of talent. I've been really surprised to see how quickly his form has returned after the suspension. I really don't think he's had a bad race this year.

He reminds me a lot of Valverde. especially at the same stage of their careers - finished on the podium of a Grand Tour early in his career, can climb, has a devastating sprint from a small group or on an incline, can TT some but needs work, and races very aggressively. If it wasn't for that mouth of his I would have probably been a big fan. I know it's WAY early but I figure he'll definitely be one of the favorites at the 2011 Giro.

I certainly see him winning one before Schleck because he will probably race the Giro as well as the Tour most years and Andy will always be butting his head up against AC in the Tour.

In the next 12 months (or possibly a few weeks) - Valverde. If he gets a 2 year worldwide ban it's a bit hard to consider him in the long run.

In the years ahead - maybe if Andy becomes a gun TT'er and gets in a race without his brother. This is such a hypothetical question because I honestly don't think anyone of the current crop will come close to AC in the coming years, unless something happens to him. I'd probably vote for Kreuziger/Gesink here, without any confidence.

I'm just wondering where the options are for Machado, Sagan and Boasson Hagen!?!?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
I just hope you're prepared when the Aussie contingent launches a full-scale Pro-Evans Holy War on your ass

Schleck the Younger FTW btw.... Only one who I can see outclimbing Contador in the future.

It is for Under 30.;):p

Those guys are the "someone else." I kept the list to youngish guys who have already shown something in a three week tour since you're limited to 10 options.

At this point do we even have any idea what kind of riders EBH and Sagan are going to turn out to be? Right now, I figure them more for one-day riders and possible short stage race guys.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
I didn't think that would matter to you.... Cadel is an ageless, unstoppable, (incomprehensible :p), cycling force right?

Yes, and is unlucky to not have 2 tour de france titles, 1 vuelta, 1 giro and many one day classic if it wasn't for his bad luck and all those spanish dopers!:D You are slowly learning Moondance!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
He's gonna have to learn how to stay on his bike.... And you'd think that if he hasn't learnt that yet by age 23 he ain't going to any time soon.

Hopefully not receiving any coaching in that from Menchov...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Menchov? Coaching? A bit out of character, don't you think?

I was really referring to Denis' amazing talent for falling off
- such as on a straight TT course (yes I know the cobbles were wet) or more than once when cornering UPhill. Not to mention falling off at least twice during the same breakaway with nobody around him...
:D

Martin318is said:
- such as on a straight TT course (yes I know the cobbles were wet) or more than once when cornering UPhill. Not to mention falling off at least twice during the same breakaway with nobody around him...

Don't blame him... That was the most brilliant move EVAR! Since he hadn't fucked up yet that Giro, he decided to do it in the mos spectacular way possible... Hats off to him.

Martin318is said:
I know you were. And I was referring to his communicative talents, which are non-existent.

It's the obvious choice but I have to go with Schleck.

While others on the list are more likely to win a GT sooner than Schleck I think he's the only one who can possibly challenge Contador in a GT. At the moment this requires Contador having at least one jour sans.

I think Schelck remains only 24 so he has time on his side to improve his TTing. If that improves 5-10% so as he's losing only one minute or so over 50km to Contador then he can stay close enough to capitalise on a mistake by Contador in the mountains.

Other riders on the list are better tters than Schleck or more explosive, but he's the only one who has shown he can consistently hang on to Contador in the high mountains.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Why would falling off and screwing up stop Gesink from winning GTs? Menchov's won three, and falling off and screwing up are his calling cards.

Valid point - That seems so sensible that I may even consider chucking it down the road in a slow corner in my next race to see if that helps me get a better final position. :D

Libertine Seguros said:
Exactly! While your opponents are too busy laughing at what a tool you look, you quickly get on and attack while they're short of breath because of laughing!

Yeah he would have won the 08 tour if he didn't f*ck it up on stage 15 to Prato Nevoso:

Instead he went:
attack, crash on a bend going uphill, look like a tool, everyone laugh, heads of state ride away from him;)

TRENDING THREADS