• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most memorable doped performance? 2010-2020

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Benoot is 2 years younger than Foliforov, I doubt that they had many (any?) battles as U23. Wellens would be much more likely.

And even if they did, the age difference alone is enough to question the extent of the talent, as 2 years is a huge difference at U23.

Rest day reinventions are ten-a-penny though. I mean, in that case we should point to Sagan's post-rest day stage win last year, struggling to assert himself in the sprints and not having the legs all through week 1, and then dropping everybody and holding off the bunch solo the first day after the rest day, but everybody just kinda shrugged and moved on. It's certainly an eye-opening improvement pre- and post-rest day, but it really doesn't have anything on outliers like Gabrovski and Najár, or complete rider reinventions like Alarcón or Geraint Thomas, when it comes to this thread, for my money.

Martin was s.t. as the best from the bunch on San Giacomo and 44 seconds slower than Bernal on the Zoncolan (6th out of the favorites).

The only mountain stage where he suffered hugely was the Cortina one which took place in conditions that he seems to also historically suffer in.

This was one of the best climbers in the race racing against Castroviejo for over half of the final climb.

Martin was s.t. as the best from the bunch on San Giacomo and 44 seconds slower than Bernal on the Zoncolan (6th out of the favorites).

The only mountain stage where he suffered hugely was the Cortina one which took place in conditions that he seems to also historically suffer in.

This was one of the best climbers in the race racing against Castroviejo for over half of the final climb.
I agree. The most suspicious performance was precisely Castroviejo dropping Carthy, Vlasov and Bardet, not Martin.

Victor de la Parte climbing the Kitzbüheler Horn faster than Ricco on a much harder stage (Gailbergsatter and the Glockner early on) and putting over 1min into everyone else (good climbers like Ben Hermans and Hirt, who had been 7th on the Rettenbachferner in the Tour de Suisse just a few weeks earlier), while riding for Team Vorarlberg.
One year earlier he had raced for Efapel and got a top 10 on gc in the Volta a Portugal.
He did well when he was riding for CCC and Movistar afterwards, but he was never again climbing that well.
Reminds me a bit of Zoidl, who seems to find some extra watts when he rides for a CT team and doesn't have to deal with the bio-passport...

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Contador in the two Paris Nices he came second where he powered away and only just lost enough time being chased by a group on the flat final kms to not come first overall.

His Tirreno 2014 long range attack as well was great. He was absolutely flying in 2014.

Any ballistic one day races performances any one thinks?

Gilbert triple maybe?

Contador in the two Paris Nices he came second where he powered away and only just lost enough time being chased by a group on the flat final kms to not come first overall.

His Tirreno 2014 long range attack as well was great. He was absolutely flying in 2014.

Any ballistic one day races performances any one thinks?

Gilbert triple maybe?

Cancellara e3 harelbeke 2011

Gilbert Flanders 2017 and Roubaix 2019

Fuglsang Liege 2019

Iglinsky Liege 2012

Valverde Liege 2017

Loulou fleche wallone 2021

Reactions: SHAD0W93
There's nothing especially weird about Ala's FWs, other than his general extremely high level (in this race). It's his specialty, always has been, I think.

Fuglsang Liège I don't find suspicious per se, it was to expect after that spring, and it's a good race for him. What's weird about Fuglsang was his general step up that whole spring, especially his FW.

well, apart from what has already been mentioned, gotta say Aru's ITT. Don't quite sure when or where, but perhaps in the Vuelta or Giro.
The only thing I remember is him doing a world-class performance out of nowhere
That's possibly in the 2018 Giro. He rode such an unbelievable ITT that the likes of Tony Martin were visibly shaking their heads as he crossed the line.

Turns out that he'd been pacing behind a motorbike and was subsequently docked time.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99

TRENDING THREADS