• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most Memorable Grand Tour Stages 1985-2010

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone,

First time poster, but a long time lurker (and rider) who has appreciated all of the cycling knowledge imparted in these forums. I have a speaking engagement at a seminar upcoming and wanted to incorporate this theme. I apologize in advance if this topic has been explored here before, but I searched the forums and in various other places on the Net and have not been able to dig up anything...

So... Which do you contend are the most memorable/grandest Grand Tour stages of the past 25 years and why? I am looking specifically for references to stages from the Grand Tours. Criteria for stage inclusion is completely your own (e.g. competitiveness, general classification ramifications, brutal slog, controversy, other non-racing significance, etc.) I am looking to compile a consensus, and based on applicability, utilize the results as talking points.

Any input is immensely appreciated. Thanks to all!

Cheers.

The Giro stage won by Evans this year was great. A bit further back the final TT in the 2003 TdF was really nailbiting. The Giro stage in 2005 to Sestriere where Savoldelli looked to have lost but came back with some descending was fantastic too... Was the penultimate stage that year.

Those three are the first that sprung to mind.

Just in recent memory, there's Evans' Montalcino win in this year's Giro, the Monte Petrano stage of the '09 Giro when Menchov was ironman and killed di Luca's attacks stone dead and Armstrong fought like a monster to get back to the front group only for Sastre to attack 5 seconds later and drop him, stage 15 of the '08 Giro where Sella had come from winning the previous day, went out in the break all day to pick up the mountains points, went from the base of the final climb and won, from his teammate Pozzovivo who left the heads of state, with Riccò attacking and Contador chasing, di Luca being dropped then chasing back; stage 19 of the same race when Kiryienka won, but most importantly you had di Luca and Riccò attacking and coming within seconds of the maglia rosa as Contador was in difficulties and being pulled along by the CSF boys; the Zoncolán stage of the '07 Giro when Gibo and Piepoli worked over Andy Schleck, and the youngster in his first GT clung on almost to the summit; the penultimate stage of the '05 Giro when di Luca, Simoni and Rujano went up the road on the horrific gravel climb of the Colle delle Finestre and Savoldelli was partially paced along and defended the maglia rosa in desperate circumstances; the 2004 stage to Bormio 2000 where Simoni lost his temper with Cunego, and the insane 2002 Vuelta stage climbing the Angliru in the storm where Millar threw his bike away and handed in his number one metre from the finish.

There is a rather unifying theme to most of these...

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
The 3 Alps stages of the Tdf 2006.
The 3 Pyrennes stages of the Tdf 2007

Luz Ardiden 2003

These stages were EPIC!!

Ps: The Tdf 2006 and 2007 were the best Gts of the last decade.

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the site BanjoBob.

Jean Francois Bernards epic individual time trial victory on Mt Ventoux back in the 1987 Le Tour. I am sure its on youtube. Why ? . Because I was on that slope cooked:), and when this rider passed the pain and effort that was in his face gave you a chill. An awesome piece of riding. Think he took the yellow jersey after that and really looked like he would win the Tour but Roche had other ideas :). Interesting times. Hinault just retired and Lemond injured and new generation of rider was coming through and the whole of France where depending on Bernard as the next successor to Hinault.

- Indurain crack stage in 1996.
- Pantani attacking in the Tour 2000 after the Ventoux win.
- Mayo winning in 2003 on l'Alpe d'Huez
- Landis in 2006, his prewar breakaway.
- Pantani coming into his own in the Giro of 2003, his last short revival.
- Vandenbroucke winning in l'Avila
- Samuel Sanchez descending to victory in 2008
- Numerous more.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
1996 Springs to mind

Arnout said:
- Indurain crack stage in 1996.

I remember that stage, I didn't bother to watch it live, as it looked like it would be innocuous, and then everything happened - was this the day Bruyneel fell into a ravine as well? Also from that year, there was an 'echappee royale' into Pamplona (?), supposedly the stage to honour Big Mig, which I was reminded of with that Giro stage this year where all the favourites clipped off the front

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Arnout said:
- Pantani attacking in the Tour 2000 after the Ventoux win.

That has my vote too, stage 16 in particular.

The make or break stories of Pantini, Ulrich and Lance, that came together and were fought out over 3 glorious and tragic stages. With the person who suffered most, possibly, as the only one who didn't snap there.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Stage 10 TDF 2008 Pau to Hautacam

This one just sticks in my head vividly, where Jens Voigt pulled the peleton almost the whole way up the Tourmalet and single handedly destroyed Valverdes Tour, along with many others. Herculian effort. Ended with Cadel Evans in Yellow by a single second over Frank Schleck.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Off the top of my head:

Iban Mayo's Alpe d'Huez stage win in the 2003 Tour. Being a huge Mayo, Euskatel/Basque, Spanish climber fan, his win had me cheering loudly as if I were watching the winning Michigan touchdown in the season ending U of M versus Ohio State football game. Sheer joy and happiness.

Valverde's win on Courchevel in the 2005 Tour, outsprinting Armstrong. I am and will always be a fan of Valverde and this win happened shortly after the point that I became completely disenchanted with Armstrong. To have a Spanish rider beat him in a summit finish was like Christmas in July.

Valverde's win on La Pandera in the Vuelta, I think it was 2003 or 2004. On the downhill slope that led to the finish after a grueling climb, after being distanced by Felix Cardenas and Roberto Heras. Cardenas and Heras were in the final km thinking they would be battling for the win. Suddenly in the twisting turns leading to the finish you could see the moto's behind Heras and Cardenas looking back with surprise in their eyes. Valverde had bridged back up to them, joined them in one of the turns, shocking both Heras and Cardenas, and sprinted away with the win.

My all time favorite is Vino's win on the Champs Elysee (sp). Not only did he snatch the win from the sprinters but he also took Leipheimer and Gerolsteiner to school singlehandedly, taking Leipheimer's 5th place in the overall gc standings. Vino was a true force of nature that day and was not to be denied. This alone should explain why there is so much love for Vino.

La Pandera said:
Off the top of my head:

Iban Mayo's Alpe d'Huez stage win in the 2003 Tour. Being a huge Mayo, Euskatel/Basque, Spanish climber fan, his win had me cheering loudly as if I were watching the winning Michigan touchdown in the season ending U of M versus Ohio State football game. Sheer joy and happiness.

Valverde's win on Courchevel in the 2005 Tour, outsprinting Armstrong. I am and will always be a fan of Valverde and this win happened shortly after the point that I became completely disenchanted with Armstrong. To have a Spanish rider beat him in a summit finish was like Christmas in July.

Valverde's win on La Pandera in the Vuelta, I think it was 2003 or 2004. On the downhill slope that led to the finish after a grueling climb, after being distanced by Felix Cardenas and Roberto Heras. Cardenas and Heras were in the final km thinking they would be battling for the win. Suddenly in the twisting turns leading to the finish you could see the moto's behind Heras and Cardenas looking back with surprise in their eyes. Valverde had bridged back up to them, joined them in one of the turns, shocking both Heras and Cardenas, and sprinted away with the win.

My all time favorite is Vino's win on the Champs Elysee (sp). Not only did he snatch the win from the sprinters but he also took Leipheimer and Gerolsteiner to school singlehandedly, taking Leipheimer's 5th place in the overall gc standings. Vino was a true force of nature that day and was not to be denied. This alone should explain why there is so much love for Vino.

Anyone have a video of vinos champs elysse win? This one can be in English, Dutch or even Basque for all i care.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
1988 Gavia Stage

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Gavia stage from the 1988 Giro.
Fits the term 'epic' pretty well I think.

Not too many grand tour stages in the last 25 years have been contested in a snow storm.

I'll also give a nod too the 2010 Giro stage into Montalcino. The world champion covered in mud taking the victory was pretty classic.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
As for the stages, some I can think of right now:
Chiapucci in Sestriere in 1992.
The 2005 Vuelta stage where Liberty Seguros destroyed Menchov.
Avila '99 of course.
What 'thehog' said.
Final TT in '89 TDF (doh).
Indurains ITT in Luxembourg (also '92?).
First stage of the 1990 TDF.

And many many more... :)

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
This is my first time posting on this forum, and my recommendations are a little bit older, but these stages were epic in my opinion:

1. 1986 Alpe d'Huez stage of Tour de France. Hinault attacked LeMond, and LeMond caught him to ride together to victory. Phil Ligget's commentary is classic: "Hinault is like a time bomb ticking."

2. 1988 Andy Hampsten climb over the Gavia, in a blizzard, in the Giro.

3. 1985 "Stolen Vuelta" when Britain's Robert Millar went into final stages over 6 minutes ahead of all others, and collusion of Spanish teams cost him the overall.

4. 1987 Luz-Ardiden stage of Tour de France won by Dag Otto Lauritzen. A phenomenal ride for a rider not necessarily known for his climbing abilities.

5. Final stage of 1989 Tour de France.

6. Floyd Landis comeback victory in Stage 17 of the 2006 Tour de France. That ride was simply Merckxian.

7. Armstrong at Sestriere (1999 TDF), the Hautecam (2000 TDF), Alpe d'Huez (2001 TDF), Luz Ardiden (2003 TDF)

8. Jean Francois Bernard, Mont Ventoux Time Trial, 1987 Tour de France.

9. Marco Pantani, Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Tour de France

10. Beloki's crash and Armstrong's save in stage 9 of 2003 Tour de France.

Perhaps the most impressive stage I ever witnessed was the solo breakaway of Sean Yates, and I'm almost positive it was in the 1987 Tour of Ireland, Stage 3. He was simply unbelievable. Hard to find on video though.

Hope this helps.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tour de franceStage 3 2010
Stage 8 2010
Stage 10 2008

This tops them all though,
Giro D Italia
Montalcino Stage 2010!

Not just because of Evans winning (okay 90% is why it is here:D) but because of the drama of the stage before the mud. Epic sums this stage up in 1 word. I was lucky enough to have the pleasure to watch this great stage live and to watch the best all round rider of the modern era win.

TRENDING THREADS