• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most overambitious rider?

I thought this would be easy when i learned that Fuglsang would be aiming for a top-10 in this year's TDF, but then Intxausti announced that he would target a top-3 at the Giro. Course, I'd still pick Fuglsang as the most overambitious between the two of them. :D

Are there any other riders with overly ambitious season goals? Not much talk about T. Martin and yellow anymore since he joined OPQS. Guess Lefevere talked some sense into him.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How about Purito's ambition to win the Tour?
More sense in Fuglsang's top 10 wish, than in Purito's Yellow dream, IMO.

Vino attacks everyone said:
Yea, Birdsong is the one in my head atleast

A top 10 goal seems rather pathetic anyway. Whats it good for? Absolutely nothing.

I find Goss's ambitions to be a tier 1 sprinter (flat stage) quite tough to reach. Too much competition. Can still win a race/stage here and there as they are in plenty supply however.

Anton seems to be going in the wrong direction. Might never podium a GT.

search said:
is Devolder still aiming to win the Tour de France?
Lol, it's fun to watch cycling videos from a few years ago and watch Devolder climbing like an angel. Maybe reunited with Dirk Demol his hopes of winning the Tour are kept alive.

Dazed and Confused said:
I find Goss's ambitions to be a tier 1 sprinter (flat stage) quite tough to reach. Too much competition. Can still win a race/stage here and there as they are in plenty supply however.
There was a time when Cav said the only guy he feared in a sprint was Matt Goss. I'm not sure that's still the case though.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
VDB2 aiming to achieve podium in the tour ;)

I guess Contador winning the 3 GT's in 1 year, well that 'was' his goal but i bet it's still his goal :D

Tyler Farrar's ambition to win much at all (at least against anyone who matters). I saw a media comment a while back that "It was yet to be decided whether Farrar or Cavendish would ultimately be regarded as the best sprinters of their generation". Well, for me (and for many others, I suspect) it is decided.

Netserk said:
Hushovd. I guess he will want to be a captain... He is ****!
Really? He has reached most of his goals, and in others he's been really close several times. It's not like he's being completely unrealistic when he says he wants to win P-R...

Maybe Haussler should be mentioned, the last 3 years he's constantly talked about winning monuments, worlds etc but in reality he has hardly won anything at all.

maltiv said:
Really? He has reached most of his goals, and in others he's been really close several times. It's not like he's being completely unrealistic when he says he wants to win P-R...

Maybe Haussler should be mentioned, the last 3 years he's constantly talked about winning monuments, worlds etc but in reality he has hardly won anything at all.
I know Hushovd talks about winning P-R, but I have yet to see him try... For me he is the impersonation of riding for 2nd place :mad:

I guess I just don't like him (in fact I hate him) :mad:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, he's been second and third already and he actually didn't wheelsuck all the time in Roubaix 2011 like some people are claiming. Plus he had a team-mate up front.

If he didn't have a team-mate up front he would've ridden away with Ballan and Cancellara. Cancellara wouldn't be able to surprise attack them in a small group like that, so Hushovd would've had a great shot at winning Roubaix there.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Fuglsang has finished 3rd and 4th in TdS, 6th in Dauphine, 11th in Vuelta Espana.
Won several minor stageraces.

How is a top-10 in TdF overambitious?
Rather pathetic, i understand. Overly ambitious? Not so much.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
I know Hushovd talks about winning P-R, but I have yet to see him try... For me he is the impersonation of riding for 2nd place :mad:

I guess I just don't like him (in fact I hate him) :mad:

Danes always have a morbide big-brother complex towards norwegians when it gets to sports they consider to be their own domene - soccer and cycling.

They will always be much better in the former, but the fact is that right now the norwegians OWN them on the road. Boy, they hate it when the "mountain-apes" win big races when their own useless slobs stinks at everything. And there seems to be no relief in sight ...

Now we just need Rolf Sörensen to admit 15 years of forbidden chemicals, and then everything the oath farmers ever achieved on the road is proved to be fraud.

TRENDING THREADS