• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most overrated (good) rider in the peloton?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is currently the most overrated rider among the stars of the peloton?

• Total voters
WVA is obviously one of the most deluxe superdoms I can ever remember seeing, and is a major threat in any race he is in.

I do think he is in the Sagan Zone where it has become difficult for him to win races without tactics because of how marked out he is, and it's always interesting to see how riders deal with that kind of pressure.

Roglic and Evenepoel getting equal amount of votes

perfectly-balanced-thanos.gif

1- Overrated? By who? Fans? Media? Vegas?
2- What is the scale/ratio?
3- If a rider (or a few riders) wins all of the time 'its boring', but if they don't win all of the time they are overrated?

ie: I had a pre race expectation that TP and MvdP would battle it out for the win in SR. They met my expectation wit ha slight twist that another great racer (with help from MvdP) inched past everyone to take the win. That doesn't change the 'rating' of my two pre race 'favorites'. If anything, it increased my rating of JP in races like this.

EDIT: Pidcock is leading the above poll, but who in their right mind would rate him highly (for road racing) when he has been splitting his time? His race in SR is above what I would have expected so he is underrated IMO. He should be highly rated and celebrated for his ability to be at the front/win several disciplines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
No one in this poll is really overrated. Only De Lie can be considered at the current state, but he's young, so it's too soon to tell.

Pidcock should never be on this list, because he's a world and Olympic champion. He's underrated by those who only follow road cycling.

Objectively I would suggest Romain Bardet and Mikel Landa. They are big names who have never won a big race. Landa has won the poll "Future GT Winner" two years in a row.

No one in this poll is really overrated. Only De Lie can be considered at the current state, but he's young, so it's too soon to tell.

Pidcock should never be on this list, because he's a world and Olympic champion. He's underrated by those who only follow road cycling.

Objectively I would suggest Romain Bardet and Mikel Landa. They are big names who have never won a big race. Landa has won the poll "Future GT Winner" two years in a row.
I think Pidcock being world and olympic champion speaks more to the relative weakness of the field in cross and mtb.

I think Pidcock being world and olympic champion speaks more to the relative weakness of the field in cross and mtb.
I think that's ignorance showing tbh, seeing as VdP has had comparatively more success in road than mtb, and he gave mtb good go – not that he had no success in mtb, as he was clearly the best in 2019, but he has struggled since and has lost to Pidcock numerous times.

It's important to remember that they are, after all, different sports.

Last edited:

Pidcock is only Olympic champion because MVDP crashed

He's also very overrated in cyclocross. Saying he is part of the "big three" is absurd. His name doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as the 2 vans. Yes he's probably the third-best rider, but he's not that much better than the likes of Iserbyt and Vanthourenhout who can beat Pidcock frequently on his day. Maybe his MTB reputation is reasonable but in road racing and cyclocross he is overrated

• Haha
Reactions: tobydawq and jmdirt
Pidcock is only Olympic champion because MVDP crashed

He's also very overrated in cyclocross. Saying he is part of the "big three" is absurd. His name doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as the 2 vans. Yes he's probably the third-best rider, but he's not that much better than the likes of Iserbyt and Vanthourenhout who can beat Pidcock frequently on his day. Maybe his MTB reputation is reasonable but in road racing and cyclocross he is overrated
Pidcock won XCO Olympics because he is the best rider on the MTB, don’t get it twisted.