• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most overrated rider

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Who is the most overrated rider in the current peleton? For me it has to be Pozzato-- always a "favorite" to win the big ones but never actually does. Your thoughts please...

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Altitude said:
Who is the most overrated rider in the current peleton? For me it has to be Pozzato-- always a "favorite" to win the big ones but never actually does. Your thoughts please...

Yeah, a couple of months ago I thinking this very thing. Pipo is similar to Paolo Bettini, only a lot worse: he can't sprint as well as Bettini, and he certainly can't climb him, either

EBH (another wonder boy with no results)
Pozzato (apart from the exotic lifestyle, this guy wins not much TBH)
Kreuziger (I know he's young but his name has been touted as the next big thing and yet nothing has happened)
Michael Rogers (keep waiting to replace Cuddles as a GT rider and nothing has happend yet to indicate it otherwise)

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Faserr said:
Pozzato. He's a really good and strong rider, but he wasn't able to win the real big races in the last couple of years, although he was always a favorite.

This sounds an awful lot like George Hincapie. Only Pozzato has actually won a monument - Milan San Remo in 2006. For as much as he was hyped up to do so, Hincapie never won a monument and barely came close - in his 18 yrs as a pro he can count two podiums in monuments - a 2nd in Roubaix and a 3rd in Flanders.

In fact at 23yrs old you could say EBH's palmares are better than Hincapie's at 37. So, as much as I do like him, I'll vote Hincapie - most over hyped current pro. At least as far as english cycling media is concerned.

I'm looking forward to when he retires so I don't have to hear how "he's a major threat to win Roubaix" ever again.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Michael Rogers (keep waiting to replace Cuddles as a GT rider and nothing has happend yet to indicate it otherwise)

Well luckily it seems he has renounced from that project. Kept getting tired of waiting for this GT breakthrough that has been announced for years ...

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Juan Antonio Flecha.

He's constantly talked about by many, many cycling commentators as being a "big threat" in classics races, but never materialises apart from his 4 major wins in the last ten years.