• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most overrated rider

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
staubsauger said:
well cunego was dealt as intendend tdf champion and the new italian topchamp/ pantani for years while collapse again and again under this pretentions. he was a high-class classics rider during that time, but now he even isn't that anymore.

I don't know how you can say that. He has been a pretty steady contender for the classics in recent years. This year wasn't his best, but how many riders can say that they got top 10 in two Ardennes classics and are unhappy about it?

1st Giro di Lombardia
1st Giro dell'Appennino
1st GP Industria & Artigianato - Larciano
2nd Japan Cup
4th Giro del Veneto
6th Klasika Primavera
9th WC RR (Verona)

1st Japan Cup
1st Gran Premio Nobili Rubinetterie
1st Trofeo Melinda
3rd Tre Valli Varesine
7th Giro del Veneto
9th Liège–Bastogne–Liège
9th Giro dell'Emilia

1st Giro d'Oro
1st GP Industria & Artigianato - Larciano
2nd Giro del Lazio
2nd Klasika Primavera
3rd Liège–Bastogne–Liège
8th Clasica Almería

1st Giro di Lombardia
1st GP Beghelli
5th Giro dell'Emilia
7th Liège - Bastogne - Liège

1st Giro di Lombardia
1st Amstel Gold Race

1st Klasika Primavera
1st Japan Cup
2nd WC RR (Varese)
3rd La Flèche Wallonne

3rd Tre Valli Varesine
6th Giro del Lazio

3rd La Flèche Wallonne
5th Amstel Gold Race

6th Klasika Primavera
7th Liège–Bastogne–Liège
8th WC RR (Mendrisio)

9th GP Beghelli

5th La Flèche Wallonne
5th Tre Valli Varesine
6th Amstel Gold Race
10th GP de Québec

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
ingsve said:
Of course a lead out can be overrated. What that means is that he's overrated as a lead out. He is constantly rated as the best lead out in the world and how important he is to whoever he leads out.

I can perhaps agree that he is slightly overrated. Julian Dean and Brett Lancaster are both also very good lead outs and they usually don't get near as much attention as Renshaw.

Yes, and every time they came head to head in the tour, not only did Cavendish win the sprint, but if you look where Renshaw leaves Cavendish, he nearly always left him in a better position than Dean or Lancaster left their man...

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes another one for George Hincape here. Obviously he has been a superb domestique over the years but was never going to win a big race.

The thing with Wiggans is nobody rates him so he cant be overated.. Anyway if he abandons the weight loss obsession and rides at his fighting weight he will be a far more dangerous rider.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Cadel Evans: I think he has the talent to do much more, he just doesn't have the balls. Exception being the worlds but other than that...

Pozzato: He has more balls than Evans but it just seems that he never gets it quite right

Rogers: After a silver medal at the Worlds 97 U23 TTs, I woould have expecteed him t develop into one f the best TTers

Peter Kennaugh: talented rider, couple of podiums at the British national and some good wins on the track but being touted as a tour winner says overrated to me.

I would, however, love to be proved wrong on this one.

Hincapie as the proven overrated rider in the current bunch for sure.

Valverde is probably one of the best riders of his generation.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
+1 for Pozzato. I've always liked his smooth riding style but the wheelsucking in the classics for the past few years has been annoying. He just doesn't seem able to make the big move when it counts.

As for Hincapie, I cut him a little slack because he's really been the only hope for Americans in the classics for a while and he's brought at least a little more interest to racing that happens outside of July. Also, it's not like the teams he's been on have exactly been built to help him in the Ardennes.

md2020 said:
+1 for Pozzato. I've always liked his smooth riding style but the wheelsucking in the classics for the past few years has been annoying. He just doesn't seem able to make the big move when it counts.

As for Hincapie, I cut him a little slack because he's really been the only hope for Americans in the classics for a while and he's brought at least a little more interest to racing that happens outside of July. Also, it's not like the teams he's been on have exactly been built to help him in the Ardennes.

+1 on Hincapie. We have to remember that in his peak years he was gaining weight for the classics and then losing it to be a domestique for Armstrong. This rollercoaster in his weight can't have been a boost in his objectives in the cobbled classics. As an American, I'm just pleased that we had someone to root for that was consistently finishing in the top ten in RVV and P-R. He's had his share of bad luck too, which many of his competitors have been able to avoid for the most part.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Andre Greipel - a flat track bully*

He's got the speed, but in a competitive field his positioning is terrible and he tends to lose wheels. EBH, Henderson, Goss - three lead out men who have won races after Andre went missing.

*Flat track bully - originally a cricket term coined by John Bracewell to describe Graeme Hick, it has, in the UK at least, come to be a phrase to describe a sportsman who looks a world beater when conditions are in his favour and the opposition weak, but is out of his depth at the highest level.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Andre Greipel - a flat track bully*

He's got the speed, but in a competitive field his positioning is terrible and he tends to lose wheels. EBH, Henderson, Goss - three lead out men who have won races after Andre went missing.

*Flat track bully - originally a cricket term coined by John Bracewell to describe Graeme Hick, it has, in the UK at least, come to be a phrase to describe a sportsman who looks a world beater when conditions are in his favour and the opposition weak, but is out of his depth at the highest level.

I would say Greipel is one of the most underrated cyclists in the peloton...

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Pozzato springs in mind, but he won MSR and became close in PR and worlds. Also Boonen stayed in the back because of Devolder in 09 and because Pozzato beated him a week before in E3. So to be honest Pozzato has a career like Boonen this season or for instance Kroon (podia at AGR, fleche, good in some worlds spread over different seasons). So even if he can be a wheelsucker (while attacking) he still is there in front of so many races. If he wasn't so good the wheelsucking would not bother his collegues.

Rogers is overrated big time as a GT contender. Even this year I saw articles here on CN with those foolish statements. It's like Holland says Koos Moerenhout is going to podium TDF because he is top10 TT at the worlds and was 2nd at the Eneco Tour.

Overated in GT's:

Big George - good domestique, but was even spoken about as a yellow jersey contender at tdf in '06.

Michael Rogers - never been a good enough climber to be a podium finisher, yet his chances are always spoken up. Best result has been a 9th in '06 tdf. Other than that nothing to speak of. For me, it is Rogers' performances in the tdf time trials which have been the most disappointing. How can a guy who wins the world championships 3 times always finish minutes behind the GC guys in the tdf time trial? Maybe it's just that he can't handle the 3 weeks.

Damiano Cunego - always thought he'd become a consistent GC threat after his '04 Giro win. Think I'll look over that result in the cyclingnews archives now and see how he did it - though I have heard it mention that maybe he is riding clean/er now.

Not overated is Valverdje and Evans. Both have had numerous top 5 GT finishers. Neither are rated as highly as AC or AS which is fair enough.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
gregrowlerson said:
Michael Rogers - never been a good enough climber to be a podium finisher, yet his chances are always spoken up. Best result has been a 9th in '06 tdf. Other than that nothing to speak of. For me, it is Rogers' performances in the tdf time trials which have been the most disappointing. How can a guy who wins the world championships 3 times always finish minutes behind the GC guys in the tdf time trial? Maybe it's just that he can't handle the 3 weeks.
you answered your own question. cancellara soft pedals before the TTs but rogers has aimed for the GC and his time trials reflect his inability to withstand the rigours of a GT.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Oh good one with hincapie, has certainly been overrated for a long time now.
In the tour, and on the cobbles (every year people tip the guy at P-R and he fails)

Probably a fair comment especially now after his past few years results on the cobbles. He still is rated highly as he was when he had some big results in cobbled races.

TRENDING THREADS