• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moto GP

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Do you think Stoner will win the title this year? He has been blazing on the Honda this year

Honda's Casey Stoner on pole for San Marino MotoGP

MotoGP championship leader Casey Stoner claimed his eighth pole position of the season at the San Marino and Rimini Riviera Grand Prix.

The Australian clocked one minute, 33.138 seconds on his Honda, way ahead of home favourite Valentino Rossi.

Rossi, the seven-time champion from Italy, has struggled with Ducati this season and only came 11th in 1:34.676.

Spaniards Jorge Lorenzo (1:33.258) and Dani Pedrosa (1:33.318) qualified second and third, respectively.

With five races remaining after this weekend and wins worth 25 points each, Stoner holds a 44-point lead over Lorenzo in the standings.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Do you think Stoner will win the title this year? He has been blazing on the Honda this year

MotoGP championship leader Casey Stoner claimed his eighth pole position of the season at the San Marino and Rimini Riviera Grand Prix.

The Australian clocked one minute, 33.138 seconds on his Honda, way ahead of home favourite Valentino Rossi.

Rossi, the seven-time champion from Italy, has struggled with Ducati this season and only came 11th in 1:34.676.

Spaniards Jorge Lorenzo (1:33.258) and Dani Pedrosa (1:33.318) qualified second and third, respectively.

With five races remaining after this weekend and wins worth 25 points each, Stoner holds a 44-point lead over Lorenzo in the standings.

Stoner shouldn't have any trouble taking the title..He can throw away a race and still win it..The others are struggling..Rossi can barely ride the bike Stoner won races on last year..The honda has none of the ducati's issues..
It is amazing to me that 1-8 places in qualifying are within a second of each other but those hundredths are what wins the races.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:

when you consider how good the honda is Rossi would've had the title more less wrapped up by now. Stoner is very good but not on the level of Rossi. The Ducati strangely enough has only been understood by 2 riders and that is Stoner and Troy Bayliss when in 2006 he filled in for Sete Giberneau and won his last ever Motogp on it.

Whether Rossi and Jeremy Burgess can take the Ducati next year to the level of Yamaha and Honda will be interesting.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Good start by Valentino.
But it still hurts to watch him. No doubt he and his bike will be there next season.
Ducati changed much and Rossi still isn't "united" with the Ducati.
He has no real feeling on the frontwheel.

Besides that, Honda delivered a hell of a bike this year. When they do that, it is hard for anyone to deliver a better bike, or bike that is even close.
If there wasn't Lorenzo it would be really boring.

Lorenzo, Stoner, Pedrosa off at the front. Giving it to each other. :)

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Marquez%2520achieves%2520first%2520MotoGP%2520pole%2520position.jpg
kid is amazing

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Guess where?

coming soon

We lost Yoshinari Matsush_ita today who was killed during the qualifying session. As much as I love it, the rewards seem so little on occasions like this.

Yoshinari Matsush_ita (43yrs): "I think to be honest, I was surprised. As a member of this great team [Tyco Suzuki] for the TT, I draw the full power to be able to use their experience to fight this monster course at best.

"I did not ever think a miracle like this would ever happen. For several years I have wanted to fulfil my ambition to race in the Supersport 600 class. I am very excited to work with members of Tyco Suzuki and riders Guy Martin and Josh Brookes."

Gary Thompson, MBE, Clerk of the Course, ACU, commented:
“Yoshi was a really popular competitor who had a large number of friends in the TT Races paddock. He was a genuine and friendly character who always had time for everyone. He will be sorely missed.”

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever"

A win for Jorge, Dani learning that consistency wins championships and Marquez will have his time soon...

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

Jorge Lorenzo will attempt to ride the Assen gp despite breaking his collarbone in the above accident two days before the race during a practice session.

Jorge flew to Barcelona in order to have surgery including insertion of a titanium plate and eight screws into his collarbone, he now returns to Assen to decide whether he can/should ride Saturday's race.

rgmerk said:
There's a difference between skill and bravery/foolhardiness.

Are the Manx TT riders skilful, compared to 99.9% of all motorcyclists? Sure. Are they as skilled as Rossi? Not a chance.

What they are prepared to do is take risks that Rossi isn't prepared to take (I suspect he's also contractually barred from doing so, but the absence of the GP riders dates from Giacomo Agostini refusing to race there, if I recall correctly).

Given the number of riders killed and seriously injured, I tend to the view that the Isle of Man TT riders are foolhardy. I wouldn't dream of telling people what risks they should or shouldn't take, but there's no way in the world that, even if I had the talent to race a motorcycle there, I would do so.

http://www.wimp.com/streetracing/

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
The Principal Sheep said:
Was never going to be much of a duel between the two of them, Rossi realised this before signing.

So what's Yamaha doing signing him? The smarter thing to do would of been to chuck Crutchlow on the factory ride with Rossi on the satellite Tech 3 team. This is especially so given the Monster links. Hopefully this will occur for next season - give Lorenzo a run for his money there.

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
darwin553 said:
So what's Yamaha doing signing him? The smarter thing to do would of been to chuck Crutchlow on the factory ride with Rossi on the satellite Tech 3 team. This is especially so given the Monster links. Hopefully this will occur for next season - give Lorenzo a run for his money there.

Remember that Rossi is by far the biggest name in Motogp with the most support and is still a top rider, Crutchlow on the other hand is having a superb season this year but last year was being outperformed by Dovi and had a luckless second half to the season.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
The Principal Sheep said:
Remember that Rossi is by far the biggest name in Motogp with the most support and is still a top rider, Crutchlow on the other hand is having a superb season this year but last year was being outperformed by Dovi and had a luckless second half to the season.

Dovi or Crutchlow would still be a better choice than Rossi IMO. Let's not forget that on many occasions last year Hayden was outperforming Rossi and Hayden wouldn't be in the same class as Dovi or Crutchlow either by a fair margin.

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
darwin553 said:
Dovi or Crutchlow would still be a better choice than Rossi IMO. Let's not forget that on many occasions last year Hayden was outperforming Rossi and Hayden wouldn't be in the same class as Dovi or Crutchlow either by a fair margin.

Yes but Hayden, Dovi and Crutchlow combined don’t have the recognition and affinity with supporters that Rossi has, with Rossi and Jorge Yamaha have both the best rider to win Championships and the best rider for brand awareness.

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
darwin553 said:
Isn't the best scenario for a brand to have two bikes up there being competitive for the win rather than the one? ;)

Of course, like I said, Jorge is for winning championships, Rossi (1st, 2nd) and the improving Crutchlow (2nd, 3rd, 3rd) can fight for podiums and hopefully Bradley will be able to get himself in the top six mix soon.

But never discount the importance of money and Rossi transcends the sport, he attracts sponsorship, attracts media, and attracts money like no other rider around.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Well hopefully Yamaha have learnt a lesson about this year and realised that Rossi has lost that spark and replace him :)

Not that it matters much for me being a Honda fan as it means one less bike I have to worry about :D

TRENDING THREADS