• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Motor doping thread

Page 177 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 9, 2017
Visit site
Gaimon and Cancellara rode in the same peloton in the '09 Tour of California (Cancellara won the prologue and abandoned stage 1) and the '16 Paris-Roubaix (Gaimon DNF, Cancellara ended in P40)

Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
yaco said:
At the end of the day, Gaimon was a WT rider in 2014 and 2016. He rode against Cancellara on one race day, that being the 2014 PR - So he has little or no real experience against Cancellara to give an informed opinion about moto doping - Let's hope he isn't sued..
By PR do you mean Paris-Roubaix? Cause if you do ... guess what? The curse of yaco strikes one more time - you appear to be talking nonsense, again.

Such a cardinal mistake on my behalf, by typing 2014, instead of 2016 - Which by the way, changes nothing about the context of my post - Gaimon in his two years as a WT rider, shared one race day with Cancellara, and of course in 2010 was riding in the back-blocks of America - I'm sure you can do better !

Re:

Marxten said:
Gaimon and Cancellara rode in the same peloton in the '09 Tour of California (Cancellara won the prologue and abandoned stage 1) and the '16 Paris-Roubaix (Gaimon DNF, Cancellara ended in P40)

Thanks for adding the info about the 2009 TOC - Maybe this is when Gaimon heard the whirr of Cancellara's motor.

Does it really matter if they shared one or three races? If they were in the pro tour at the same time for 1 or 2 years?

The fact is that Gaimon had zero proof and chose to publish thoses allegations in a book. It could be true, but that's not even the question. It was a huge attack, there was no "gun on Gaimon's head", and one shouldn't be abble to print allegations on someone without backing it up just because it's what he believes.
What if Cancellara said in a book that he heard that Gaimon is a rapist and he trully believes that. Does it make it ok?
The standar should be higher as someone else said here.

Woah...Cancellara just called out Gaimon on Twitter...

Hi @philgaimon, I actually don’t know you, but I kindly invite you to beat me at one of my 8 #ChasingCancellara races, by next year 2018. You choose the @chasecancellara -date out of 5 countries. I am very curious to see how much watt you can push!Start training!
#nomotorneeded

yaco said:
fmk_RoI said:
yaco said:
At the end of the day, Gaimon was a WT rider in 2014 and 2016. He rode against Cancellara on one race day, that being the 2014 PR - So he has little or no real experience against Cancellara to give an informed opinion about moto doping - Let's hope he isn't sued..
By PR do you mean Paris-Roubaix? Cause if you do ... guess what? The curse of yaco strikes one more time - you appear to be talking nonsense, again.

Such a cardinal mistake on my behalf, by typing 2014, instead of 2016 - Which by the way, changes nothing about the context of my post - Gaimon in his two years as a WT rider, shared one race day with Cancellara, and of course in 2010 was riding in the back-blocks of America - I'm sure you can do better !
The wish is that you would do better. Anyone else would get the benefit of the doubt over a typo, but since you consistently post inaccurate information you don't. Maybe try attaching links to your claims, like other people do.

Re:

absolutely_not said:
Does it really matter if they shared one or three races? If they were in the pro tour at the same time for 1 or 2 years?
Clearly it does matter. Tyler Hamilton, in The Secret Race, gets away with passing off peloton scuttlebutt, because he raced with and against the people he's talking about. Gaimon, he's just a fan with a typewriter and a racing licence. When he posts gossip it has about as much authority as something you'd find on an internet forum.

fmk_RoI said:
yaco said:
fmk_RoI said:
yaco said:

The wish is that you would do better. Anyone else would get the benefit of the doubt over a typo, but since you consistently post inaccurate information you don't. Maybe try attaching links to your claims, like other people do.

Why would I post a link to a stat that's readily available from pro-cycling stats ? - Anyway I look forward to the match race between Cancellara and Gaimon in 2018.

Re:

absolutely_not said:

The fact is that Gaimon had zero proof and chose to publish thoses allegations in a book. It could be true, but that's not even the question. It was a huge attack, there was no "gun on Gaimon's head", and one shouldn't be abble to print allegations on someone without backing it up just because it's what he believes.
What if Cancellara said in a book that he heard that Gaimon is a rapist and he trully believes that. Does it make it ok?

The point of my post was to highlight the casual cycling follower or non-cycling follower, would assume that Gaimon rode with or against Cancellara many times over a period of time, when this is clearly not the case - And my first post on this subject fairly much stated the last sentence in your post.

Re:

absolutely_not said:

If you watch a couple of YouTube videos of the 2010 Paris-Roubaix and Tour of Flanders that's pretty much all you need to see.

yaco said:
fmk_RoI said:
yaco said:
fmk_RoI said:
yaco said:

Why would I post a link to a stat that's readily available from pro-cycling stats ? - Anyway I look forward to the match race between Cancellara and Gaimon in 2018.
Because you got the *** date wrong. And have a history of passing off BS as fact.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Re:

silvergrenade said:

Hi @philgaimon, I actually don’t know you, but I kindly invite you to beat me at one of my 8 #ChasingCancellara races, by next year 2018. You choose the @chasecancellara -date out of 5 countries. I am very curious to see how much watt you can push!Start training!
#nomotorneeded
Ugh. That's just so juvenile. I'm faster than you, and that makes me not only right but better than you. It does absolutely nothing to address motors and pro cycling.

If it was an adult responding to a false allegation, it'd be more along the lines of: "I think you're being an idiot. No way I used a motor although it might look like it to you. Here's my power files Let's grab a beer some time and I'll tell you all about how the race went for me that day. BTW, you're buying".

John Swanson

Re:

silvergrenade said:

#nomotorneeded

Yeah but Cancellara will use one of his bikes with a motor and thrash him anyway.

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Bolder said:
"As an editor and reporter, I recoiled in horror after reading each besmirching comment. Yes, many of these comments reflect the brand of chatter that even we cycling journalists engage in. To print them, however, is enough to make a defamation lawyer faint. My hope is that Gaimon’s publisher, Penguin Books, has a robust legal department."
Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2017/11/commentary/commentary-reviewing-gaimons-draft-animals-book_452041#pFrfRHKMvItL0wAq.99

Indeed

So if Cancellara doesn't sue Gaimon (and the tweeted bike ride challenge would be an odd precursor to legal action)what could be inferred from that?

Because if Cancellara didn't use a motor I can't see why he wouldn't wheel the lawyers out. Penguin would be forced to pulp the books and make a payment to close it down. Gaimon would be forced to issue an apology

But if he did use a motor...

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Wiggo's Package said:
Bolder said:
"As an editor and reporter, I recoiled in horror after reading each besmirching comment. Yes, many of these comments reflect the brand of chatter that even we cycling journalists engage in. To print them, however, is enough to make a defamation lawyer faint. My hope is that Gaimon’s publisher, Penguin Books, has a robust legal department."
Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2017/11/commentary/commentary-reviewing-gaimons-draft-animals-book_452041#pFrfRHKMvItL0wAq.99

Indeed

So if Cancellara doesn't sue Gaimon (and the tweeted bike ride challenge would be an odd precursor to legal action)what could be inferred from that?

Because if Cancellara didn't use a motor I can't see why he wouldn't wheel the lawyers out. Penguin would be forced to pulp the books and make a payment to close it down. Gaimon would be forced to issue an apology

Depends on the wording. Alleged use of a motor.

That Canc is doing the meat head thing of challenging Gaimon to a race is pathetic.

Wiggo's Package said:
Bolder said:

Indeed

Well one reason is that it would cost an incredible amount of money. The other would be that libel is hard to establish, jurisdiction depending. The other is that it would result in even more publicity for the claims and further damage to his reputation over time, whether he was exonerated or not.

I'm not arguing he didn't use a motor. But there are completely valid reasons why he'd not pursue legal avenues here.

Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Equipment and Fight against technological fraud Commission
President

Mr. Bob STAPLETON (USA)

Members
Harald Tiedemann Hansen (NOR)
Gilles Delion (FRA)
Dragomir Kouzov (BUL)
Philippe Mariën (BEL)
Robbert de Kock (SUI), Cycling industry representative
Riders’ representative - TBC
Teams’ representative - TBC
link

Stapleton?
Nothing in cycling ever changes. The filthy circus rolls on. This is so funny. Thanks for posting.

TRENDING THREADS