• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Motor doping thread

Page 68 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He showed up with a bike that did not pass the technical control for the time trial. His mechanic showed up with a bike his size that passed the tech check. It arrived just before the start so there was no time to check the bike for a motor. After his race the bike was not checked either.
They also mention they checked over 2000 bikes for motors but only during 11 out of 21 stages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20dh3H5bQl8

Re:

nogav1ca said:
I don't buy it. I think it would be too risky to have someone like Roglic ride with motor on Strade Bianche. Also if those motors are really so expensive, it would be weird for him to have another motor in a spare bike (since he won TT on a spare).
The weird thing here is that he used same setup as in previous races, but now the bike wasn't compliant with the rules. Maybe more strict controls in a bigger race?

But I have another questions. Are springs in rear hub (still) allowed? Like this one. Because about 7 or 8 year ago, I remember Brajkovic using it. Point of it was to overcome dead spot (similar to oval chainring), but I dont' know how useful it was.

Risk? What risk? The UCI are in cahoots with a moto manufacture, thwarting police investgations, they didnt even check bikes at LBL and there is serious questions over the iPad app they use.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Tienus said:
He showed up with a bike that did not pass the technical control for the time trial. His mechanic showed up with a bike his size that passed the tech check. It arrived just before the start so there was no time to check the bike for a motor. After his race the bike was not checked either.
They also mention they checked over 2000 bikes for motors but only during 11 out of 21 stages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20dh3H5bQl8
Thijs Zonneveld, who's incessantly been sticking feathers up Lotto-Jumbo's arse in the past couple of weeks, was notified about the Primoz allegations through twitter, but hasn't responded.
Thijs, hardlining on the Puerto names, now softballing when the *** comes closer to home?

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

thehog said:
nogav1ca said:
I don't buy it. I think it would be too risky to have someone like Roglic ride with motor on Strade Bianche. Also if those motors are really so expensive, it would be weird for him to have another motor in a spare bike (since he won TT on a spare).
The weird thing here is that he used same setup as in previous races, but now the bike wasn't compliant with the rules. Maybe more strict controls in a bigger race?

But I have another questions. Are springs in rear hub (still) allowed? Like this one. Because about 7 or 8 year ago, I remember Brajkovic using it. Point of it was to overcome dead spot (similar to oval chainring), but I dont' know how useful it was.

Risk? What risk? The UCI are in cahoots with a moto manufacture, thwarting police investgations, they didnt even check bikes at LBL and there is serious questions over the iPad app they use.

So you believe there is completely no risk to using motors? With the amount of people doing controls (pretty certain there are not just 5 people who you could probably trust to keep quiet), I wouldn't be so sure that somebody wouldn't spill the beans for a good amount of cash from some journo agency.

Video of the bike inspection process during the giro prologue this year.
https://www.facebook.com/ProcyclingNL/videos/812142142250861/
The BMC bike gets checked and the guy is allowed to walk back with this bike. He can now change the bike or the rear wheel as there are plenty around. This area should be sterile and no bikes, wheels or other parts around.

This video is an example how it should be done although they forgot to bring the hidden engine detector.
https://www.facebook.com/ProcyclingNL/videos/827925357339206/

May 26, 2010
Visit site

nogav1ca said:
thehog said:
nogav1ca said:

So you believe there is completely no risk to using motors? With the amount of people doing controls (pretty certain there are not just 5 people who you could probably trust to keep quiet), I wouldn't be so sure that somebody wouldn't spill the beans for a good amount of cash from some journo agency.

It is called omerta.

Why did the UCI not test the pros at LBL and only tested u23s?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
also "a good amount of cash from some journo".
lol.
journos make a living from the sport.
why would they spit in their own soup, let alone spend a "good amount of cash" on that.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
also "a good amount of cash from some journo".
lol.
journos make a living from the sport.
why would they spit in their own soup, let alone spend a "good amount of cash" on that.

I thought a significant number of posts on this thread were commenting on the work of the journalists from Stade 2 and Gazetta dello Sport who were investigating motorised bikes. Plus I bet Stade 2 had to pay Varjas `a good amount of cash' firstly for his piece to camera, and secondly to cut holes in a carbon wheel and purchase magnets in order to try to replicate part of the fantasy design that featured in the Gazetta article.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah, you have a point, but it also sort of proves my point to the extent that varjas never spilled any names.

anyway, as I said elsewhere, the pros are the guys willing to take the risk.
the rest (i.e. those who do not take the risk) are the majority, but they aren't the pros.
the whole 'it's too risky' argument just doesn't work for prosport.
it works for guys like you and me.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
yeah, you have a point, but it also sort of proves my point to the extent that varjas never spilled any names.

anyway, as I said elsewhere, the pros are the guys willing to take the risk.
the rest (i.e. those who do not take the risk) are the majority, but they aren't the pros.
the whole 'it's too risky' argument just doesn't work for prosport.
it works for guys like you and me.

Perhaps Varjas didn't know any names.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
Somebody said something about risk?
Orla Chennaoui
‏@SkyOrla

British Cycling announce they will be testing bikes for technical cheating for the first time at this week's national road champs.
Me.

British cycling giving the cheats advance notice!! Well done BC.

how about this for a quote!

“While technical fraud is extremely rare, we need to ensure that we are taking action in the fight against all forms of cheating and the new scanning method is a real step forward, especially given that it can be done so quickly."

How do they know? Again ADA and the federations fail.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
sniper said:
Orla Chennaoui
‏@SkyOrla

British Cycling announce they will be testing bikes for technical cheating for the first time at this week's national road champs.
Me.

“While technical fraud is extremely rare, we need to ensure that we are taking action in the fight against all forms of cheating and the new scanning method is a real step forward, especially given that it can be done so quickly."

So what were they supposed to say `while technical fraud is common', `while technical fraud may or may not be common, or perhaps it's extremely rare, we've got no idea'? The quote is exactly what they should have said, it does not indicate what the governing bodies actually think.

Hawkwood said:
Benotti69 said:
sniper said:
Orla Chennaoui
‏@SkyOrla

Me.

So what were they supposed to say `while technical fraud is common', `while technical fraud may or may not be common, or perhaps it's extremely rare, we've got no idea'? The quote is exactly what they should have said, it does not indicate what the governing bodies actually think.

Nothing, turn up and do the testing, then make a statement based on the results of the tests.

Don't tip everyone off what you're going to do!

May 26, 2010
Visit site

wansteadimp said:
Hawkwood said:
Benotti69 said:
sniper said:
Orla Chennaoui
‏@SkyOrla

Me.

Nothing, turn up and do the testing, then make a statement based on the results of the tests.

Don't tip everyone off what you're going to do!

Dont tip the cheaters off and don't make stupids statements that you cant back up!

We know what governing bodies think by their actions!

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Re: Moto-fraud: first rider caught

What was the story today with Dylan Groenewegen's lefthand slamming his handlebar crossing the finishline during the Dutch nationals. Turning off his cyclingcomputer?

Re:

Random Direction said:
Cloxxi - BC already made the donation, know how the software works and are now doing live testing to make sure their motors aren't glowing. Cheques are payable to someone in BC if your hub is glowing. Of course Cookson will be in the loop.

The French seek revenge!

On Monday French Secretary for State for Sport Thierry Braillard announced that thermal cameras would be used at the Tour de France to tackle motor use.

These will pick up the heat signatures from motors and, will also be mounted on in-race motorbike. The current UCI checks only work on stationary machines and can’t be carried out during races.

The thermal cameras were developed by the Commissariat of Atomic Energy at the request of the French government.

According to France Info, the new detection method was trialled at three races during the weekend’s French cycling championships in Vesoul.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/hidden-motors-3-4000-uci-tests-at-tour-but-french-announce-own-plans/

Urine vs blood testing for EVO. UCI is telling everyone their urine system will stop the cheats while blood testing actually will catch them. Intentional obfuscation - but why? In my experience it usually means someone has something to hide. But who? Usually he/she who is both making the most noise that there isn't an issue AND who percetably has a big stake is the outcome. UCI clearly does, but why is BC speaking out so much?

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto-fraud: first rider caught

I don't know if anyone else caught it, but they just scanned Tommy V's bike while he was being interviewed live on French TV. I watched the French feed, so I don't know if it was shown elsewhere. To be fair, I believe they did it in front of cameras on purpose to make it a topic of conversation.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Tienus said:
Watching the last 5k today I realized how valuable a couple of guys with a motor for a sprinter would be. Motorcycles with heat cameras will not get anywhere near at this stage of the race.

But static cameras would and if its sprinters you're after that wouldn't be too difficult as you don't have to cover the whole course just a couple of angles. If they are serious about it then they would be in place

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Random Direction said:
Urine vs blood testing for EVO. UCI is telling everyone their urine system will stop the cheats while blood testing actually will catch them. Intentional obfuscation - but why? In my experience it usually means someone has something to hide. But who? Usually he/she who is both making the most noise that there isn't an issue AND who percetably has a big stake is the outcome. UCI clearly does, but why is BC speaking out so much?

how about the logical flaw, urine stops them, blood catches them?

hey, if they are stopping, there is no catching.

or is the urine the apocryphal urine and spitting over Sky on the finishes at the tour that the sky riders tell us seeking sympathy even tho it is BS

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Tienus said:
Watching the last 5k today I realized how valuable a couple of guys with a motor for a sprinter would be. Motorcycles with heat cameras will not get anywhere near at this stage of the race.
guess what, the number of tour podiums is zero sum, the sprinters have always been quick, and their leadouts starting with Cipo's Saeco redtrain, have always since then, come in like a locomotive

TRENDING THREADS