• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Motor doping thread

Renaat Schotte ‏@wielerman 10 min.10 minuten geleden Vertaling weergeven
Official: first rider ever caught with a 'motorbike' is Belgian Femke Vandendriessche. #CXZolder16

Femke Van den Driessche (U23 Women) at Worlds CX...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Considering how far UCI is behind cheating, this has probably being going on before even Davide Cassani first did a piece at Il Giro a few years (3????) ago.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
remember when Ryder 'crap on epo' Hesjedal said

"It's the stupidest thing. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of, It's not possible. It's just not possible"

that new trek of his has a massive down tube!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
It remains to be seen how easy it was to detect. Everybody can put a motor in their bike. Avoiding detection (which is what makes it feasible in a professional context) is a different matter altogether.

Brown envelopes help hide motors easily.

Dec 22, 2015
www.youtube.com
Pretty sure it's not the first one.
The other suspects in the last years probably gave some money or something like that to cover up.
She's the first one, because she's a "nobody".

Re: Mechanical doping: first rider caught

I was watching the race. She was walking with her bike after a mechanical issue. After she abandoned the camera followed her and you could see her jump on her bike and pedal back to the pits. Then the news was that she was too disappointed to comment after she broke her chain. I allready wondered what happened but she definetely did not break her chain. Mayby this allerted the UCI.

Re:

Rovinin said:
Pretty sure it's not the first one.
The other suspects in the last years probably gave some money or something like that to cover up.
She's the first one, because she's a "nobody".

Would think that this kind of technology would filter down from the better-financed top teams. Anybody who thinks that this is just her is nuts. This kind of cheating requires team support.

I expect the UCI's response to be cooksonish (ineffectual).

Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
hrotha said:
It remains to be seen how easy it was to detect. Everybody can put a motor in their bike. Avoiding detection (which is what makes it feasible in a professional context) is a different matter altogether.

That's not how brown envelopes work when it comes to doping, so I don't know why you'd assume it'd be different with motors.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

hrotha said:
Benotti69 said:
hrotha said:

That's not how brown envelopes work when it comes to doping, so I don't know why you'd assume it'd be different with motors.

sure ask Diaack.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Couldn't they just use a Thermal Imager to search those motors?
If they want to avoid a big scandal just imform the teams about the fact that you're going to start using them do detect motors.

hrotha said:
Benotti69 said:
hrotha said:

It's not brown envelopes. It's Sysmex machines (which can never be found).

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
One interesting angle is the possibility of target testing. When asked if she was targeted, UCI-official Van den Abeele was rather evasive:

"Of dit een gerichte controle was? We controleren al een tijdje op de wereldkampioenschappen. De laatste jaren was er ook heisa en hebben we onze technologie aangepast."
(Source: Sporza.be)

Rough translation:
"Was it a targeted test? We have been performing tests at the world championships for a while now. Over the last couple of years there was some drama surrounding it and so we adapted our technology."

So, he doesn't really answer the question whether or not the test was targeted. He doesn't say "yes" or "no", but rather iterates that they have been performing tests like this one for a few years.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:

it doesn't matter if it's technologically possible.
motordoping is ethically so far out that nobody would even consider it.
doping, yes, motordoping, nah.
:rolleyes:

sniper said:
hrotha said:

it doesn't matter if it's technologically possible.
motordoping is ethically so far out that nobody would even consider it.
doping, yes, motordoping, nah.
Hey, you tell that to whoever argued that. I always questioned its feasibility, not pro riders' willingness to exploit something illegal. Closest thing to that I ever said was that it was likely to be seen as much worse than doping within the peloton.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

MarkvW said:
sniper said:
this must be a hoax.
the technology doesn't exist yet.

I'm a believer now. Go SPARTACUS Go!!!

I am curious if that year by Matti Breschel was legit or not, when he was at CSC, because he did have a fine year that year with Spartacus.

But, in MB's defense, when he first came into the peloton as a 22 or 21 yo, he had a great debut, I remember he was winning Dreidaagse Van Vlaanderen or Four Days of Dunkirk, one of those races, and Robbie Mcewen tangled up with him and he had a pretty bad collarbone break. So he did have alot of talent.

TRENDING THREADS