• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Motorcycles (and cars) in races

This topic has been discussed before and is brought up in a lot of threads but I would like to really have a movement to reduce the influence of motorcycles (and cars) in races.
It has become too much to take.
A relevant percentage of races seems to be heavily influenced if not won by motor- drafting.
And it's hardly addressed by commentators, and even less by the decision makers.
A rather clueless viewer might not notice it or realize how much of a difference it makes, a rider might think "this time him, next time me", but for me as a regular viewer it heavily, negatively effects my viewing experience and the joy I can feel about the outcome of a race.

They are constantly much too close and nobody seems to really care.

Also there are just too many motorcycles in the race. I don't see the necessity at all. They don't bring safety, just the opposite, they make the race much more dangerous. Why is this not talked about instead of puppy paws and the likes? They are not an essential, necessary part of the race like descents.

And finally, although you might argue that they are not producing a relevant amount of emissions I think it is a bad look for a sport that could promote cycling as arather clean means of transport often looks like a motor GP.

Reduce the number of motos, and tell them to f*** off when they are too close to the riders. I would rather have a real, fair race where I cannot see the look on the rider's face instead of looking into the face of a rider who wouldn't even be in that position (anymore) without this pacing.
It leads to fake races.

At the current margins, I think there's a trade-off between the absolute and relative influence of motorcycles in races. That is to say that the easiest way to reduce the amount of and thus also the influence of motorcycles in races is to do so in a one-sided manner. It's easy to film a lone rider from behind, it's hard to film a peloton from behind.

So I'd primarily advocate for more neutral influence of motorcycles in races rather than less influence.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Let's just replace the motos with cars like 2CVs or Trabis. Sure they'll still be able to give you a nice draft, but are you prepared to run the risk of them breaking down right in front of you? And you might also get caught, because they won't necessarily be able to accelerate as fast you'd like them to.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan