• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mountains you've climbed/would like to climb

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
as it was pointed out california has so many amazing climbs. when you get
to about 8000' the air starts to get thin, especially at racing speed. the finish
up toM Mammoth Lodge and the Baldy Village climb(steep) are 2 that stand
out.:eek:

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
CentralCaliBike said:
For me, going up the steep grades takes time - go down them takes nerves of steel.

Einstein was right, time is relative. When I was young, I measured time using a stopwatch. Nowadays, I use a calendar.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mt. Mitchell. Highest point East of Mississippi River (USA). Many hours up, many minutes down!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_on_Mount_Mitchell
Climb.jpg

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Despite living in the US, I have done many more european climbs. I think I have listed all of the climbs I have done and direction that I climb it.

FRANCE
Col du Marais (south)
Col d'Izoard (south)
Alpe d'Huez (3x)
Mont Ventoux (2x) toughest of the French climbs I have done
Col d'Aspin (east)
Col du Tourmalet (east)
Col de la Core (west)
Col de Latrape (west)
Col de l'Echarasson (north)
Col de Carri (northwest)
Col de la Madeleine (south)
Col d'Ichere (west)
Col de Marie-Blanque (2x) (west)
Col d'Aubisque/Soulor (2x) west)
Col du Telegraphe (north)
Col du Galibier (north)
Col de Leschaux (north)
Col de Pres (north)
Col de Laffrey (north)
Col du Noyer (west)
Col du Fanget (north)
Pas de l'Abauc (north)
Col de St. Barnabe (west)

ITALY
Passo Rolle (south)
Passo Valles (south)
Passo Campolongo (south)
Passo Gardena (east)
Passo Sella (north)
Passo Pordoi (half of it from the west where Passo Sella meets the road up to Pordoi and once from the east)
Passo Giau (west)
Passo Tre Croce (west and east side)
Tre Cime de Lavaredo (all but the last couple km's, stopped to watch the race)
Passo Fedaia (Marmolada) (east)
Fai della Paganella (north)
Passo Gavia (most of the way up the north side, had to turn around because sun was setting)
Passo Stelvio (2x) (west side up to where the Umbrail Pass meets the Stelvio and entire eastern side) brutal climb

List of climbs that I would still like to still ride:

Some of the eastern French Pyrenees like Peyresourde, Portet d'Aspet, Plateau de Beille. In the French Alps - Glandon/Croix de Fer, Bonette, Cormet de Roseland, Colombiere

In Italy - Passo Foppa (Mortirolo). Got to drive it and it is crazy. San Pellegrino, Monte Grappa, Plan de Corones. I know I am forgetting some.

Someday Switzerland, Austria, Spain :)

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
as it was pointed out california has so many amazing climbs. when you get
to about 8000' the air starts to get thin, especially at racing speed. the finish
up toM Mammoth Lodge and the Baldy Village climb(steep) are 2 that stand
out.:eek:

I agree. I've done the road to Baldy Village and it was quite a challenge.

High and dry - I'd love to see the ToC go up this road.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Of the big climbs, I've only climbed Alpe d'Huez, Chamrousse and Col de Porte. I hope to add Col du Tourmalet, Luz Ardiden, Hautacam and maybe Pic du Midi to that short list when I go to the Pyrenees next year to watch the Tour and get some climbing done. :cool:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
I've done the ride to Sunrise on Mt. Rainier a few times, and it's one of my favorites of all time. Long, steady climb. The descent is one of the best ever, with long straights and hard switchbacks breaking them up. It's to different than Europe--in the US National Parks there are of course no villages and nothing but nature on the sides of the roads. Not better or worse for cycling, just different. Highly recommended ride!

I've done St. Helens also in the Tour de Blast which runs in June IIRC. There are 2 summits in that ride, the first (I think) is Coldwater Ridge then you descend sharply and climb Johnson Ridge. Both at less than 5000 ft I think, but both hard climbs. The weather was really cold and damp when I did it and it was a tough ride. Newspaper on the descent!

Never done Crater lake.

One of my favorites is Donner Pass in Tahoe, which is a short, steep climb at altitude that's a heck of a training ride.

I did a writeup of it here: http://cyclingbayarea.wordpress.com/2007/06/03/donner-pass-and-donner-lake-tri-road-course/

Thanks for all the advice!

Do you think it is possible to rent bikes in the Tacoma/Seattle area? I always only go to WA on holiday and can't bring my own bike!

I don't mind it at all that Mt. Rainier is more sightseeing than pactice, since I'm a cyclotourist anyways ;)

Jun 15, 2009
www.swancoaching.com
California climbs

As previous posters have pointed out there are some great climbs in California! Some of the most memorable for me are Death Valley up to Dante's Peak (starting about 180 ft below sea level and finishing at about 5,700 ft. above in 25 miles)... here is a view from the top http://www.americansouthwest.net/california/death_valley/dante2_l.html

Palomar Mt. in San Diego Cty ('09 Tour of CA climbed this on the last stage)... not terribly hard but awesome views and fun descent!

Montezuma Grade out of Borrego Springs, CA takes a very twisty path up a canyon from the desert floor to about 4,000 ft. It can be quite hard if the winds are gusting in the canyon! Doing a training camp there this Feb.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Beechmont and Springbrook are my two local climbs that are more then 10km, we also have Mount Tamborine, which is steep, but only goes for a 2-3km. In France I have done the Tourmalet and the Plateau-de-Beille, and the Port de Balès.