• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movement for credible cycling!!

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ferminal said:
Yikes, do you think they will stop doping so they can get their membership back?

Do you critique the teams that are not part of mpcc as much?

Do you know that they don't have the extra tests. They don't get punished at all because they don't have the extra tests. They can dope cortisone with impunity.

Does that cross your mind at all when you are jeering at a group that is voluntarily trying to lend just a bit of credibility to cycling?

And this is pretty bad publicity for a team in search of a sponsor...

But, go ahead, jeer away at those who are doing at least a little to give us back what used to be a fantastic sport. Jeer to your heart's content and feel better about yourself that you are giving the big doping teams and riders a free ride.

Ferminal said:
What extra tests?

These cortisone checks are not official tests, they have no real meaning.

Um..seriously?

We are talking about them.

So the teams that are not part of mpcc, you do realize, will never get noted for failing a test like this. No one will accuse them of cortisone doping like they have (rightly!) Rolland and eurocar. To begrudge mpcc a lack of clout but not realize that teams who don't join have a much easier time doping, is hypocrisy in a nutshell.

Europcar has always been part of the MPCC, it has never stopped them doping with cortisone. It already happened with Charteau last year, but they didn't care enough to stop. Do you think they will stop doping because the MPCC got them again, because they got kicked out of the organisation? The risks of abusing cortisone are the same regardless of whether or not you're an MPCC member.

What a great win for the credibility of cycling, they create doping headlines around a team yet they are powerless to do anything about it. Basically their only punishment mechanism is PR, is that going to stop the green monsters of July?

42x16ss said:
Tell that to Europcar. At least they are being acted on.

Bingo.

And they are looking for a sponsor. This can't help.

Seriously to attack mpcc for its lack of power when it does what it can while ignoring the fact that teams that don't participate don't have to worry about anything...

I guess there is (and was never) a "peloton a deux vitesses". That was all just a fabrication of the lazy French. It wouldn't/couldn't have any connection that they have consistently been held to a higher standard. Same now, to a small degree, the members of mpcc.

Ultimately, it's the rigidity of the laws of a country and their political will to prosecute their own that pretty much dictates. But the mpcc is a little extra.

But sure, cut it down, while giving all the teams and riders who don't participate a free pass. By all means. That's logical.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
:confused: I had a 404 then clicked it 2 minutes later and I got the English translation (google translate no longer works for me for URLs :confused: ).

Anyway.

Coz it's clear what I wrote is not clear:

Who decides which rider gets tested?
Who decides when they get tested?
Where is this protocol documented?

Neither of the links posted so far indicate either of these pieces of information.

Ferminal said:
Yikes, do you think they will stop doping so they can get their membership back?

The "on a broader basis" was a reference to the regulator. I want UCI to adopt rules which punishes teams when their riders mess up. Sit out races, take away their license, demote teams to lower divisions etc.

I understand the MPCC is somewhat powerless and PR oriented, but they are doing something slightly positive imo.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Neither of the links posted so far indicate either of these pieces of information.
Well, you could give Hans Michael Holczer a ring:
http://mpcc.unblog.fr/files/2007/11/statuts-mpcc2007.pdf

lol

http://mpcc.unblog.fr/search/mpcc+cycling/page/3/
A meeting of doctors team leaders MPCC (25 present), was also organized to involve the medical staff teams to decisions.
As from 2007, MPCC, alone or with the support of national federations, will, in the context of health, unannounced inspections of cortisol.
They have their own blue wristbands, that how you can spot the non - dopers nowadays.
bracelet-mpcc1.png

The positive thing about it is the teams are held accountable for the failures.

Dear Wiggo said:
:confused: I had a 404 then clicked it 2 minutes later and I got the English translation (google translate no longer works for me for URLs :confused: ).

Anyway.

Coz it's clear what I wrote is not clear:

Who decides which rider gets tested?
Who decides when they get tested?
Where is this protocol documented?

Don't think we can expect lots and lots of details, but here's a translation of what FGL's link includes:

- During the unannounced, in-competition cortisol controls, the blood samples are tested by biologists from the designated lab, an RBML-Biomnis member approved by the FFC and UCI.

- The controls are done in the hotels of each team between 06:30-07:00 and 08:30-09:00 and it's not necessary to have fasted beforehand.

- The controls are done by the lab itself according to legal conditions. The testers bring along a letter of authorisation signed by Dr Armand Mégret.

- One single lab is used per each day of testing

- The lab differs according to the day and location of the race. All the designated labs are members of the RBML [Réseau de Biologie Boléculaire Libérale - see http://www.rbml.net] and operate subject to the provisions of the law.

- On the day of the test, the same controller determines the level of plasma cortisol for all of the riders.

- The results are communicated in full to the expert doctor (Dr Armand Mégret) and on the same day to the team doctors who advise their riders of them.

So everyone seems to agree Europcar riders use cortisone. Does that explain everything about their better results than the other french teams ? Any opinion about what else they could be on ? EPO microdosing ?

Gregga said:
So everyone seems to agree Europcar riders use cortisone. Does that explain everything about their better results than the other french teams ? Any opinion about what else they could be on ? EPO microdosing ?

The Battle of Rolland's Knee doesn't prove anything other than that the MPCC is sticking to its principles but I tend to suspect that Europcar's relationship with cortisone is unhealthy, mainly because of the frequent reporting of "knee trouble" at the team. About the other stuff, I don't know.

Sep 29, 2012
L'arriviste said:
Don't think we can expect lots and lots of details, but here's a translation of what FGL's link includes:

Which is exactly the same as the english translation I mentioned reading, and still doesn't describe anything of importance.

Specifically: is it IC, OOC, etc.

Its efficacy is dubious given its transparency, yet again, as a doping control effort.

Dear Wiggo said:
Which is exactly the same as the english translation I mentioned reading, and still doesn't describe anything of importance.

Its efficacy is dubious given its transparency, yet again, as a doping control effort.

Not sure. The rules, brief as they are, don't state a preference but I think you could say "around"-competition.

In the case of Mickael Delage, to whom the same thing happened last year, he learned of the result on the afternoon of the day before the French National Championship Road Race.

He did not ride the TT three days before but the test must have occurred with sufficient time in advance to deliver the sample and for Châtenay-Malabry to do its thing.

Delage, it will be remembered, had been using a legal inhaler for which it was not necessary to get a TUE and thus the MPCC accepted that. Here they rejected the reasons offered by Europcar, such as they were.

Sep 29, 2012
Given the density of riders "around" competition, with the testing efficiency it avails, and the fact that people are being caught despite that, makes me wonder what sort of risks are being taken when riders are dispersed to the 4 corners of the Earth. French riders at that.

I see you're going to log MPCC violations now.

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:

Why not send them a nice email with your questions?

If you go to the page I linked for you; the upper left has a choice: FR EN for French or English. After you choose, scroll down to the very bottom of the page and click on "CONTACT". You might then get a pop up window "Launch Application". If you do, click on your favorite email application and type away.

It will probably take more than an hour to get a response, maybe days. But, it would be interesting to see how they respond.

Sep 29, 2012
Heckler said:
Why not send them a nice email with your questions?

If you go to the page I linked for you; the upper left has a choice: FR EN for French or English. After you choose, scroll down to the very bottom of the page and click on "CONTACT". You might then get a pop up window "Launch Application". If you do, click on your favorite email application and type away.

It will probably take more than an hour to get a response, maybe days. But, it would be interesting to see how they respond.

Thanks JV.

I sent an email to Francesca Rossi recently. As expected, she didn't reply either. I realise you're just being smart, but it's a pretty lame attempt.

There's a term I have coined based on the IT field. It's "anti-doping theatre".

MPCC is a keen player in that show.

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Thanks JV.

I sent an email to Francesca Rossi recently. As expected, she didn't reply either. I realise you're just being smart, but it's a pretty lame attempt.

There's a term I have coined based on the IT field. It's "anti-doping theatre".

MPCC is a keen player in that show.

At 71 posts in a year, I'm hardy JV.

I realize you're frustrated, but I was just poking a little fun at your information gathering technique. Google or the Clinic; which has a higher percentage of non fact based information?

As to MPCC anti doping theatre, Europcar, who is searching for a new sponsor, just got booted. That can't be good. AG2R just fired a rider (who, if suspended, can't be hired by another MPCC member for 2 years) and has withdrawn from their regional race. That was probably not theatre.

In the big picture, I'm with you; Sky's ZTP? probably theatre. Russians? Yep. Cookson? THEATRE. Everyone in the business probably knows more than they're sharing.

But, the tests and the testing is better than ever, LA has been mostly exposed, the passport's a pretty impressive attempt, if not a home run. In the big picture, imagine trying to change the course of a for profit sport from a practice that was so entrenched to a 180 degree different direction. That's not going to happen over night no matter how hard everyone tries. And, I know everyone's numb to the comparisons, but I'll take the UCI over MLB or FIFA any day.

As to your attempts to get a date with Dr Francesca Rossi; she's shy as you know and she's an Italian living in Switzerland. You live in Australia. It could never work...