• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Have we talked about movies and how we would change them if we directed them? I think that'd be an interesting idea.
Not sure about directing, but I would definitely change some of the editing. Like that Stallone Lock Up movie I watched recently - it was supposed to be a gritty prison escape movie, but then there was this cheesy scene where I felt like I was suddenly watching The Westside Story. That scene totally took me out of the mood, I think it should have been left on the cutting room floor.

That, and generally speaking, some movie scenes tend to be too long. It's like yes, we get the idea, no need to drag things out. (Unless it's an arthouse movie, of course, then such scenes are expected.) It's almost like when you have to write a college paper that requires a certain amount of pages, so you end up rambling endlessly in order to fulfill that requirement. I have little patience for that.

Fortress 2: Re-Entry (2000) - Well this sequel was a dud, it lacked the tension and spookiness of the original. And there were some glaring plot holes... think there might have been some talk of another sequel, thankfully it never came to fruition because there wasn't much more to be said. Christopher Lambert's hair will always remain a mystery though, so there's that.

I would change most Sylvester Stallone movies not to include him..I would also CGI Burgess Meredith into all of Sly's projects as the leading man.
I would also require ALL Americans of every age to watch Being There before being allowed to vote..
Stallone is good for some mindless, violent fun (you already know what to expect of him), but he should have knocked it off with the Rocky series after about Rocky IV. Speaking of which, aside from the Rocky series, Clash of the Titans, and Grumpy Old Men I haven't seen other Meredith movies (at least I don't recall having seen any), but I liked him in what I have seen.

Interesting trivia tidbit - today I learned Burgess Meredith had been put on the Hollywood blacklist during the Red Scare, consequently his movie career had stalled for about a decade. Sad, but you still learn something new every day.

Stallone is good for some mindless, violent fun (you already know what to expect of him), but he should have knocked it off with the Rocky series after about Rocky IV. Speaking of which, aside from the Rocky series, Clash of the Titans, and Grumpy Old Men I haven't seen other Meredith movies (at least I don't recall having seen any), but I liked him in what I have seen.

Interesting trivia tidbit - today I learned Burgess Meredith had been put on the Hollywood blacklist during the Red Scare, consequently his movie career had stalled for about a decade. Sad, but you still learn something new every day.
Think Rocky and First Blood were his best.

Event Horizon (1997) - Geeez, what a convoluted mess, but upon reading some trivia it turns out production of this movie had been super rushed because Titanic's production had stalled, so the studio wanted to have at least one movie to release on time. Without the rushing maybe Event Horizon would have turned out a better movie? The special effects and the cast were good for the most part though, so there's that.

Fun trivia - Paul Anderson's original cut was longer and much more gory and violent, but the test audience and studio had balked at this version, so many scenes ended up on the cutting room floor. Plus there were three different endings, crikes, no wonder this movie was such a mess. Maybe if the studio had taken its time it would have turned out a better movie? (It is considered a cult classic nowadays, but I'm just not seeing it.)

Event Horizon (1997) - Geeez, what a convoluted mess, but upon reading some trivia it turns out production of this movie had been super rushed because Titanic's production had stalled, so the studio wanted to have at least one movie to release on time. Without the rushing maybe Event Horizon would have turned out a better movie? The special effects and the cast were good for the most part though, so there's that.

Fun trivia - Paul Anderson's original cut was longer and much more gory and violent, but the test audience and studio had balked at this version, so many scenes ended up on the cutting room floor. Plus there were three different endings, crikes, no wonder this movie was such a mess. Maybe if the studio had taken its time it would have turned out a better movie? (It is considered a cult classic nowadays, but I'm just not seeing it.)
I sort of liked it when I saw it at the cinema but hated it when I rewatched it on DVD. Good cast wasted. He's not a very good director. Maybe Resident Evil is his best movie and it wasn't that good.

The Joneses..Demi Moore and David Ducuveny ..a movie about America taken to the next level.
Same Time Next Year..Alan Alda..my grandfather watched Mash until his last breath..Alan Alda I learned about backwards,saw the TV show and now through the interweb I have watched other things he did..this movie is being made into a play in my area..I watched it and it's old but it holds up pretty well over time.
it also inspired a memory of a Mary Tyler Moore movie, were her husband has an affair and she becomes friends and business partners a his playmate after his death..

Reactions: movingtarget
Cabins, cabins, cabins for everyone!

Ok, so I've been binge-watching all these cabin horror/thriller movies as of late (poor acting, poor budget, poor/unoriginal script - we all know the deal), however, I must admit I liked the ones that took place in wintertime better just because the snowy scenery was at least usually gorgeous. But generally speaking the less spoken of these flicks the better.

Enter Nowhere (2011), Lake Alice (2017), Barricade (2012), Don't Blink (2014) are the movies I actually managed to make it all the way through in terms of watching. The rest were just so *** stupid that I gave up about halfway through, I can't even name them.

Last edited:
Cabins, cabins, cabins for everyone!

Ok, so I've been binge-watching all these cabin horror/thriller movies as of late (poor acting, poor budget, poor/unoriginal script - we all know the deal), however, I must admit I liked the ones that took place in wintertime better just because the snowy scenery was at least usually gorgeous. But generally speaking the less spoken of these flicks the better.

Enter Nowhere (2011), Lake Alice (2017), Barricade (2012), Don't Blink (2014) are the movies I actually managed to make it all the way through in terms of watching. The rest were just so *** stupid that I gave up about halfway through, I can't even name them.
Don't watch the original Cabin Fever, not after dinner anyway. Silly movie. The Cabin In the Woods had some good reviews but I haven't watched it yet.

Don't watch the original Cabin Fever, not after dinner anyway. Silly movie. The Cabin In the Woods had some good reviews but I haven't watched it yet.
I tried watching The Cabin in the Woods (2011) the other day, it didn't take. I'm just not into zombies (especially redneck zombies), so I didn't make it all the way through. The movie has a decent concept and does have a very good reputation, so eh, for those who did like it good for them.

Think I might have seen the original Cabin Fever, but with all these cabin movies it's hard to keep track.

I tried watching The Cabin in the Woods (2011) the other day, it didn't take. I'm just not into zombies (especially redneck zombies), so I didn't make it all the way through. The movie has a decent concept and does have a very good reputation, so eh, for those who did like it good for them.

Think I might have seen the original Cabin Fever, but with all these cabin movies it's hard to keep track.
Don't get cabin fever..............

Don't get cabin fever..............
Ha! I see what you did there. :D

I've actually been taking a break from cabin movies and watched a good movie for a change, it being Good Night, and Good Luck (2005). It's a very good, and I would say even important, movie... while the 50s and McCarthyism were (thankfully) way before my time, I do at least think journalism and news reporting must have been much more serious and reputable back then. Nowadays, if I want a reporter's opinion on current events I will ask for it, I don't even watch TV news anymore. The cast is stellar, as is the dialogue and cinematography - it's not a movie for action hounds, but it is still very absorbing.

I also watched The House on Carroll Street (1987) - it's a fun and a bit silly neo noirish movie with Kelly McGillis and Jeff Daniels, I was hoping they would go into the McCarthyism more. But being they didn't it was at least a benign way to be entertained for a little over 90 minutes.

Last edited:
Ha! I see what you did there. :D

I've actually been taking a break from cabin movies and watched a good movie for a change, it being Good Night, and Good Luck (2005). It's a very good, and I would say even important, movie... while the 50s and McCarthyism were (thankfully) way before my time, I do at least think journalism and news reporting must have been much more serious and reputable back then. Nowadays, if I want a reporter's opinion on current events I will ask for it, I don't even watch TV news anymore. The cast is stellar, as is the dialogue and cinematography - it's not a movie for action hounds, but it is still very absorbing.

I also watched The House on Carroll Street (1987) - it's a fun and a bit silly neo noirish movie with Kelly McGillis and Jeff Daniels, I was hoping they would go into the McCarthyism more. But being they didn't it was at least a benign way to be entertained for a little over 90 minutes.
Yes that was a quality movie, very well acted epeciallly by David Strathairn who was always underrated. Don't think I saw the Jeff Daniels movie but I saw him in a series recently called The Looming Tower about the lead up to 9/11 which was very good re the CIA, terrorism and all that.

Yes that was a quality movie, very well acted epeciallly by David Strathairn who was always underrated. Don't think I saw the Jeff Daniels movie but I saw him in a series recently called The Looming Tower about the lead up to 9/11 which was very good re the CIA, terrorism and all that.
Yes, David Strathairn was very good in Good Night, and Good Luck, I'd have to rewatch Capote because it's ultimately Philip Seymour Hoffman who won the Oscar for best actor that year starring as Truman Capote. I've been meaning to rewatch Capote anyway, but in the meantime, more cabin movies!

Secret Window (2004) - Ok, I didn't even realize much of this thriller would take place in a cabin, but the cabin and the lake it was on were actually the best parts of this uneven and predictable borefest, they were just gorgeous. The only reason Secret Window actually caught my eye to begin with was because John Turturro was in it, I like his acting very much. (Though, the role in this flick was a little/a lot beneath him, maybe he just needed the paycheck. I don't think Johnny Depp did.)

I haven't seen The Looming Tower, will have to put it on my ever growing viewing list.

Tried to watch Borat 2..I can't recommend not watching it strongly enough..there are no funny bits..none..I will watch Sacha Baro n Cohen in other things because I saw him in Spy about an Israeli that I found good. I like him in Talladega Nights playing a gay French race car driver..some of his other stuff makes me less than laugh

Tried to watch Borat 2..I can't recommend not watching it strongly enough..there are no funny bits..none..I will watch Sacha Baro n Cohen in other things because I saw him in Spy about an Israeli that I found good. I like him in Talladega Nights playing a gay French race car driver..some of his other stuff makes me less than laugh
Borat worked best on the Ali G TV series where the videos were short and people obviously didn't know who he was most of the time.

I liked The Ali G. Show but didn't care for Borat much, so will not bother with Borat 2. I think Sacha Baron Cohen's gag is just too predictable now, and I'm surprised he hasn't gotten cancelled by today's woke youth. Most of his humor would be considered cultural appropriation and/or racist nowadays, I wonder where humor will end up once the wokeness craze dies down.

Last edited:
Watched a Capote double feature - Capote (2005) and Infamous (2006). It's a mystery as to why these two movies were made and released so close together, comparisons were inevitable. Personally I prefer Capote because the tone is much more somber and serious, Infamous has more of a Hollywood feel to it. Neither movie is to be taken as gospel in regard to the Clutter family murder case because the real Capote's book In Cold Blood on which these movies were based had some embellishments as well. But they're both interesting movies in regard to Capote himself, he was a very interesting character.

10 Rillington Place (1971) - I think this is a good thriller with great acting, it has a proper creepiness to it. As it should, John Christie was a real creep himself.

Watched a Capote double feature - Capote (2005) and Infamous (2006). It's a mystery as to why these two movies were made and released so close together, comparisons were inevitable. Personally I prefer Capote because the tone is much more somber and serious, Infamous has more of a Hollywood feel to it. Neither movie is to be taken as gospel in regard to the Clutter family murder case because the real Capote's book In Cold Blood on which these movies were based had some embellishments as well. But they're both interesting movies in regard to Capote himself, he was a very interesting character.

10 Rillington Place (1971) - I think this is a good thriller with great acting, it has a proper creepiness to it. As it should, John Christie was a real creep himself.
10 Rillington Place was good as was the book. Haven't seen the Capote movies but the movie of In Cold Blood I thought was very good.

I liked The Ali G. Show but didn't care for Borat much, so will not bother with Borat 2. I think Sacha Baron Cohen's gag is just too predictable now, and I'm surprised he hasn't gotten cancelled by today's woke youth. Most of his humor would be considered cultural appropriation and/or racist nowadays, I wonder where humor will end up once the wokeness craze dies down.
He obviously has a genius for marketing and such but the humour is pretty basic. I think many people watch it just to see some famous people embarrass themsleves which says a lot about society today and the reality TV aspect and cult of celebrity. Really it's just a step above pranking videos in Youtube.

Sleepaway Camp (1983) the fashions made me smile but most of the acting was appalling although some of the dialogue with the kids was funny. The ending was supposed to make up for the rest I suppose. Why it has cult status I'm not sure. Pretty terrible, just a run of the mill slasher movie for the most part that displays it's low budget.

TRENDING THREADS