• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 85 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My apologies, I thought Avatar had at least one sequel by now judging by the box office profits it made from the original...

Will you be seeing the first sequel then? (I haven't even seen the original.)
Yes I will watch the sequel, haven't see a Cameron film for a long time. He is staying away from the Terminator franchise for good reason. That franchise has taken a dive. The last few movies were pretty ordinary. A new Predator movie will also be out soon, the last one was terrible and the last Alien movie wasn't much better.

Rewatched Titanic (1997) for about the third or fourth time and got bored, I don't think I need to see it again. It was such a huge hit when it first came out but I didn't see it till years later, even then I wasn't blown away by it because I didn't find any of the characters likeable except for maybe Kathy Bates. The special effects were great for the time, but the dialogue was very corny at times and I found Leo and Kate so annoying...

Titanic probably still is a good movie for date night because it largely is just a fictional love story, but if you're not a fan of Leo DiCaprio and/or Kate Winslet to begin with I would steer clear of Titanic. (For the history of the real Titanic there are much better documentaries out there to see.)

Btw., one thing I don't get even after three or four viewings (but it especially sticks out now) is why was Billy Zane's character so enthralled with Kate Winslet's? Obviously it was an arranged marriage and she couldn't even stand the sight of him... surely he being of big money must have done some research and had found out her family no longer had any money and was just riding on the reputation of their good name, so what was in it for him except for maybe utter and perpetual disdain from his future bride-to-be? The more I think about it the less sense it makes...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTA4OxSftHc&t=300s

Audrey ..a documentary about the life of Audrey Hepburn..outstanding..because of her lack of controversy..her family had enormous contributions in every way..all the old photos and video footage was incredible..definitely worth your time,I started knowing nothing more than her name and that she was an actress, but the film makers kept me watching

Reactions: movingtarget
Dangerously Close (1986) - Decent action thriller if you're a fan of a young Carey Lowell (lots of close-ups of her), and an accurate depiction of the 80s as I remember them. The hair, the clothes, the makeup, the soundtrack... how did they even get Depeche Mode to sign off on this? Otherwise, the more you think about the plot the less sense it makes, so it's best to just not think.

The Death Of Stalin (2017) an off the wall comedy about the aftermath of Stalin's death. Three parts comedy one part drama and I can see why the Russians banned it ! Nice performances by Jason Isaacs and Steve Buscemi but most of the all star cast were good. Absurd but also truthful as readers of Russian history will know. The constant struggle to stage propaganda opportunities was very funny.

Robot Jox (1989) - Not sure if this was supposed to be a Transformers knock-off because I don't know anything about the whole Transformers empire, but I found this post-apocalyptic sci-fi flick pretty enjoyable. The dialogue and special effects were at times pretty cheesy, but all in all I think Robot Jox is worth a looky if you don't want to think too much.

Nobody (2021) an over the top action movie which had a great first 30 minutes but the remaining hour dragged as it was just wall to wall killing. Like John Wick on steroids. Entertaining enough and action fans will love it but how many fight scenes do you need in one movie ? Like a cartoon for adults.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Nobody (2021) an over the top action movie which had a great first 30 minutes but the remaining hour dragged as it was just wall to wall killing. Like John Wick on steroids. Entertaining enough and action fans will love it but how many fight scenes do you need in one movie ? Like a cartoon for adults.
I enjoyed the movie and it had a lot of draws from Call of Duty so that was funny for me.

Reactions: movingtarget
We’ve seen Thor Love and Thunder (2022), Jurassic World Dominion (2022), Memory (2022), Kenobi (2022), No Time to Die (2021), Resident Evil tv show (2022), and The Secrets of Skinwalker Ranch (2019).

Thor was a roller coaster of action and comedy mixed with parts that dragged. I felt like it was my least favorite Thor with a story that was all over the place. Characters would be introduced/shown to only be killed off and never shown again. It followed along with a plot that left you wanting more, that also left you wondering what just happened or what’s going on. Definitely worth the watch when it goes on Disney plus. My fiancé sometimes falls asleep while watching movies but it was a struggle keeping her up for this one. On a side note the movie theater was the best I’ve been in. They would take your order in your seat, bring you food and drinks, full recliner heated/cooled seat, and had the best powdered waffles

Jurassic World was the same with following three different plot points all in the same movie. It was nice seeing the originals again while having a big part that brought more to their characters compared to how Star Wars sequels did. It also had points though that made no sense because it was jumping around to stay with the 3 different plots until they finally met at the end. It was nice seeing all of the different dinosaurs. Again she had trouble staying awake for this movie.

Memory was your typical Liam Neeson movie though in my opinion was his weakest post Taken action movie. It had a strong cast that was weakened by the story point taking less time in spots to make it hard to follow. If you like Neeson movies I’d definitely see it.

Kenobi was really good and my favorite Disney Star Wars. I hope they make a season two. I don’t get the complaints people have as they’re just being nitpicking.

No Time to Die was a very nice end to Craig’s tenure that closed out his story. The only issue I had with the movie was the villain was as weak as Quantom of Solace taking from Moonraker and the Spy Who Loved Me plot in some areas.

We loved Resident Evil and hope there is a season 2 as they left a lot of cliff hangers. I would absolutely watch the series if I had Netflix. We enjoyed how it moved the story prospective from past to present and at the end makes you start thinking about the characters differently compared to when the first episode starts.

Skinwalker ranch is your typical Destination Truth/Ghost finder show. Honestly we put this on to fall asleep too. Apparently there is now 4 seasons even though Netflix just has the first season.

We’ve seen Thor Love and Thunder (2022), Jurassic World Dominion (2022), Memory (2022), Kenobi (2022), No Time to Die (2021), Resident Evil tv show (2022), and The Secrets of Skinwalker Ranch (2019).

Thor was a roller coaster of action and comedy mixed with parts that dragged. I felt like it was my least favorite Thor with a story that was all over the place. Characters would be introduced/shown to only be killed off and never shown again. It followed along with a plot that left you wanting more, that also left you wondering what just happened or what’s going on. Definitely worth the watch when it goes on Disney plus. My fiancé sometimes falls asleep while watching movies but it was a struggle keeping her up for this one. On a side note the movie theater was the best I’ve been in. They would take your order in your seat, bring you food and drinks, full recliner heated/cooled seat, and had the best powdered waffles

Jurassic World was the same with following three different plot points all in the same movie. It was nice seeing the originals again while having a big part that brought more to their characters compared to how Star Wars sequels did. It also had points though that made no sense because it was jumping around to stay with the 3 different plots until they finally met at the end. It was nice seeing all of the different dinosaurs. Again she had trouble staying awake for this movie.

Memory was your typical Liam Neeson movie though in my opinion was his weakest post Taken action movie. It had a strong cast that was weakened by the story point taking less time in spots to make it hard to follow. If you like Neeson movies I’d definitely see it.

Kenobi was really good and my favorite Disney Star Wars. I hope they make a season two. I don’t get the complaints people have as they’re just being nitpicking.

No Time to Die was a very nice end to Craig’s tenure that closed out his story. The only issue I had with the movie was the villain was as weak as Quantom of Solace taking from Moonraker and the Spy Who Loved Me plot in some areas.

We loved Resident Evil and hope there is a season 2 as they left a lot of cliff hangers. I would absolutely watch the series if I had Netflix. We enjoyed how it moved the story prospective from past to present and at the end makes you start thinking about the characters differently compared to when the first episode starts.

Skinwalker ranch is your typical Destination Truth/Ghost finder show. Honestly we put this on to fall asleep too. Apparently there is now 4 seasons even though Netflix just has the first season.
Got tired of the Jurassic movies. Haven't seen the last few, same with the Godzilla movies. Liam Neeson revenge movies have worn out their welcome,really liked the first Taken movie but the two sequels were ordinary. Have to attack the Resident Evil franchise one day. have only seen the first two movies. Went off Star Wars during the second trilogy. Nobody was a fun watch but dunno if I would watch it again.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Christmas Lodge (2011) - Because it's that time of year again... oh wait, it's too early for that, must be the summer heat. Anyhoo, I still watched some xmas flicks recently including Christmas Lodge, the latter is very preachy and very sterile. I realize they were trying to keep it clean for the kids, but not even showing a couple sharing a kiss on their first date is a bit too much. There were few scenes that looked like the holiday season, nothing about Christmas Lodge felt particularly christmassy.

Not sure if this was one of Hallmark's productions, but if it is I'll be skipping the rest of them. Who even watches the dozens of holiday movies Hallmark comes out with each year?