• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

BerM

BANNED
Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eFYUX9l-m5I

Touches on a few.. Few too many social hot buttons.. Overall a pretty good, predictable film.. Mr. Scrooge only without Christmas.. Tom Hanks plays a modern day Karen..perfect
I watched only the European version after finally paired my firestick remote (fortunately, I found this guide). I'll check this film out for sure, especially when Tom Hanks plays the main role (one of my fav actors). Thanks for the recommendations.

Last edited:
An Cailín Ciúin/The Quiet Girl(2022)

Irish language film that is up for an Oscar in the Best International film category.

Released in 2022, I finally got around to watching this recently and absolutely loved it. Such a simple story yet so beautiful and heartbreaking, cinematography is fantastic as is the acting creating a film that embeds itself in your heart without even realising it. Highly recommended, though maybe not if you don't like subtitles or more gently paced films.

Reactions: movingtarget
An Cailín Ciúin/The Quiet Girl(2022)

Irish language film that is up for an Oscar in the Best International film category.

Released in 2022, I finally got around to watching this recently and absolutely loved it. Such a simple story yet so beautiful and heartbreaking, cinematography is fantastic as is the acting creating a film that embeds itself in your heart without even realising it. Highly recommended, though maybe not if you don't like subtitles or more gently paced films.
This is really tough.. Just read 3 reviews and it's rated as a must see..in the US reported that it will come out on limited release so maybe in a theater near me.. not yet and is currently unavailable though any of the services I use!! But I will keep an eye out..

80 for Brady..the trailer is the movie.. Golden Girls go to the Super Bowl.. lots of comedians mixed in the cast..it is about as predictable as possible and it's not bad.

Faraway.. A romantic comedy that is @60% German and the rest in English. Woman inherited a house in Croatia from her mom,shows up to clean it up and put it on Airbnb..has a close story line to Jean de Florette..but nobody comes close to Daniel Auteuil and Gerard Depardieu playing a hunchback that will not give up.. Can't believe that classic was made in 1986!! Great great movie.

In 1952 a Japanese director, Kurosawa made a movie based on a Russian book from Tolstoy 1886, the movie is considered a classic.
The 2022 movie Living is a English language remake of the 1952 film. I gotta say it's outstanding in every way, start to finish.. The movie is set in 1952 England and from the opening seconds of the film, you are in 50's England.. every actor is perfect and so is the dialogue. Probably hard pressed to find anything out of place in the entire movie. Bill Nighy is great and the young actress who fits into this perfect is Aimee Lou Wood..this is a really great movie.. I was confused at first because the title and opening credits are done in 50's style..

A Kind of Murder (2016) - The ending was a complete disaster, the kind that ruins the whole movie. But up until then I didn't think this murder mystery was too bad. It wasn't witty enough and was way too dark to be noir, but the vintage cars (supposedly this was set in 1960) were really cool!

On a side note I couldn't remember where I had seen Patrick Wilson before while watching this movie, I just remembered seeing him wearing Mormon underwear in whatever it was I had seen him in. After googling it turns out he played the repressed Mormon homosexual in Angels in America, I think he did a really good job in that as well.

A Kind of Murder (2016) - The ending was a complete disaster, the kind that ruins the whole movie. But up until then I didn't think this murder mystery was too bad. It wasn't witty enough and was way too dark to be noir, but the vintage cars (supposedly this was set in 1960) were really cool!

On a side note I couldn't remember where I had seen Patrick Wilson before while watching this movie, I just remembered seeing him wearing Mormon underwear in whatever it was I had seen him in. After googling it turns out he played the repressed Mormon homosexual in Angels in America, I think he did a really good job in that as well.
Patrick Wilson must see movies.. Hard Candy.. Ouch!! and plays another version of an idiot.. over the top funny..
Home Sweet He'll
and he also plays it perfect with Samuel .L Jackson in Lakeview Terrace.. Jackson is a scary mofo..

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx9j482POfs

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
So I thought last night's Oscars were rather dull and uneventful, I thought the best part was the musical/dance number Naatu Naatu. Such incredible energy I haven't seen since Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, it woke the whole place up!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsU0CGZoV8E

Otherwise I guess I will have to see All Quiet on the Western Front eventually, and I suppose I need to see The Whale and Everything Everywhere All at Once as well. I liked Brendan Fraser's emotional acceptance speech btw., he looked truly stunned Hollywood even gave him the time of day.

And because you did it.. Watched Marlowe staring Liam Neeson..a detective w a sketchy history and even worse luck tries to find a missing person in 1930's Los Angeles. The movie has a funny feel.. something is just off but not enough that the movie is unwatchable. Casting is crazy bad..too many familiar, famous faces in roles that don't fit,but talent is talent so even Alan Cumming playing a gangster boss can be overcome.
All that.. The new Perry Mason series is pretty good.. same time frame..@1930s..the story is great and the 2nd season is starting and a different story line and additional actors..

Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022) - Not at all what I expected, for some reason I was expecting dark, post-apocalyptical sci-fi. Instead I got fast-paced fantasy action (with several messages if you choose to think about them), it was actually enjoyable and entertaining throughout. I thought Jamie Lee Curtis stole the show, it was fun seeing her being evil and trying to chase people down instead of her being chased by Michael Myers all these years!

Patrick Wilson must see movies.. Hard Candy.. Ouch!! and plays another version of an idiot.. over the top funny..
Home Sweet He'll
and he also plays it perfect with Samuel .L Jackson in Lakeview Terrace.. Jackson is a scary mofo..

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx9j482POfs
I watched both movies recently because you had mentioned them, you're definitely right about Hard Candy. I will never look at a bag of ice the same way again!

The Whale (2022) - Visually not the easiest to watch, but then I don't think Darren Aronofsky meant for it to be. Brendan Fraser gave a terrific performance as a morbidly obese, dying father who is trying to reconnect with his (very unpleasant) daughter... I have to mention reading some reviews someone had mentioned The Whale is exactly like Aronofsky's The Wrestler. The more I think about it the more I see it, especially the very ending. The Wrestler I can rewatch though, The Whale I probably cannot.

Nothing But the Truth (2008) - Sounds like a TV movie and it was a fairly standard political thriller (loosely inspired by 2003's Valerie Plame affair), what made it interesting was the cast. Vera Farmiga, Alan Alda, Matt Dillon, etc., it was nice to see them all in one movie.

Fun factoid: the movie was never released in theaters in the US because the distribution company claimed bankruptcy. So I'm not sure how many of my fellow Americans were even aware of Nothing But the Truth's existence, I know I wasn't until I stumbled upon it recently.

Ok it starts off saying it's based on real events.. I know why they put that out there but not important.
Cocaine Bear is gore, it's pretty funny and has lots of slasher movie stuff, that people love.. worth watching.
As a side note.. Scripts and movies can be many many years old before public sees them. Sometimes not at all. Movies are made and are never released.
Ray Liotta is in this movie and he is, as he always was,solid in the movie.. Don't know if there are more still in the can. But nice to see even in death he is a movie star

The Whale (2022) - Visually not the easiest to watch, but then I don't think Darren Aronofsky meant for it to be. Brendan Fraser gave a terrific performance as a morbidly obese, dying father who is trying to reconnect with his (very unpleasant) daughter... I have to mention reading some reviews someone had mentioned The Whale is exactly like Aronofsky's The Wrestler. The more I think about it the more I see it, especially the very ending. The Wrestler I can rewatch though, The Whale I probably cannot.
I don't think either movie was great. Watched The Whale and felt like it was pretty busy, including a few jabs at the voyeuristic facets ,the pizza guy needing to see who was behind the everyday anonymous pizza purchases.. he boldly reveals himself to his students, an the immediate reaction by one or two was to pick up a phone and record what they were seeing instead of digesting the guy's feelings as they poured out
. Physical, mental health, homosexuality, religion, dysfunction of family and everything else.. just felt like it was chocked full of too many hot buttons.. Good movie, bunch of great acting but not a classic.. that said, it was 2 times as good as The Wrestler for me.

2 films that come close to this..Julie Christy was in Dr.Zhivago in 1965...skip ahead a few decades.. she is in a great movie titled.. Away from Her..which shows what Alzheimer's does to a love affair. She is simply a great actress.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.. a movie about what life looks like when you go through dramatic body change.. What it does to you and what it does to everyone else

I don't think either movie was great. Watched The Whale and felt like it was pretty busy, including a few jabs at the voyeuristic facets ,the pizza guy needing to see who was behind the everyday anonymous pizza purchases.. he boldly reveals himself to his students, an the immediate reaction by one or two was to pick up a phone and record what they were seeing instead of digesting the guy's feelings as they poured out
. Physical, mental health, homosexuality, religion, dysfunction of family and everything else.. just felt like it was chocked full of too many hot buttons.. Good movie, bunch of great acting but not a classic.. that said, it was 2 times as good as The Wrestler for me.

2 films that come close to this..Julie Christy was in Dr.Zhivago in 1965...skip ahead a few decades.. she is in a great movie titled.. Away from Her..which shows what Alzheimer's does to a love affair. She is simply a great actress.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.. a movie about what life looks like when you go through dramatic body change.. What it does to you and what it does to everyone else
Away From Her was very good. Read the book of the Diving Bell and The Butterfly, some story. Julie Christie was in lots of great movies mainly in the 60s and 70s. Away From Her was her comeback movie of sorts.

Netserk, The Whale is an excellent movie.
The Wrestler is good, for the points that you point out. There are many great movies and books about a struggle with dignity or class. The Wrestler is a cool look at a guy showing his still has it on some level.
The Whale has many cool layers about where we are right now, at one point in the film,certainly not a spoiler, he and many other characters deal with who is now, and who he used to be. Brutally people say things about his weight, past and present.

Another movie that I think is a crazy, brilliant example of a man dealing with dignity, self worth is Ben Kingsley ,House of Sand and Fog..guy is obsessed with ensuring that nobody thinks less of him..and it's impossible because he doesn't hold the wealth and status in the United States that he did before immigrating.
This guy has done everything.. his list of films is basically everything great from a washed up mobster in Sexy Beast..as Ghandi ..oh my..Schindlers List..I am a huge fan.. Catalogue of Brendan Frazer.. unless he makes a dozen great movies soon.. Probably not.
Whale is good,in my opinion Aronofsky has not made a classic yet..

As is obvious.. I love movies..
Here is a current short list of movies that I think are criminally bad and were financially wrong if budget was more than $100 dollars:
Operation Fortune
The Walk..important historical subject just an atrocity.
Missing.. A movie about people using a computer or phone and the film is of people using computers and phones
Babylon.. The sum of all the beauty and talent was a sh-t soup
Plane..Gerard Butler may have got a paycheck but at the cost of his professional dignity
The Locksmith.. People are in prison less offenses.. People should lose status in Screen Actors Guild for this movie..

Netserk, The Whale is an excellent movie.
The Wrestler is good, for the points that you point out. There are many great movies and books about a struggle with dignity or class. The Wrestler is a cool look at a guy showing his still has it on some level.
The Whale has many cool layers about where we are right now, at one point in the film,certainly not a spoiler, he and many other characters deal with who is now, and who he used to be. Brutally people say things about his weight, past and present.

Another movie that I think is a crazy, brilliant example of a man dealing with dignity, self worth is Ben Kingsley ,House of Sand and Fog..guy is obsessed with ensuring that nobody thinks less of him..and it's impossible because he doesn't hold the wealth and status in the United States that he did before immigrating.
This guy has done everything.. his list of films is basically everything great from a washed up mobster in Sexy Beast..as Ghandi ..oh my..Schindlers List..I am a huge fan.. Catalogue of Brendan Frazer.. unless he makes a dozen great movies soon.. Probably not.
Whale is good,in my opinion Aronofsky has not made a classic yet..
I preferred Aronofsky's earlier movies like Black Swan and Requiem For A Dream. One or two of his later movies were ambitious but unsatisfying. House of Sand and Fog might be one of the saddest movies I have seen.