• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hrotha said:
BigMac: You shouldn't have watched them in that order, as the prequel trilogy assumes knowledge of the original trilogy. By watching them in that order, you're effectively ruining the original films for yourself.

The right order is IV, V, I, II, III, VI.
Or the Machete Order: IV, V, II, III, VI.
http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html

Thanks hrotha. Guess I ruined what would be a nice experience. Will certainly watch it again in a few years by the correct order.

Precious (2009) - I've seen it before, and I actually found reading discussions about it more disturbing than the movie itself because other viewers had picked up on things I had missed.

No doubt it's a well-made and well-acted movie, however, it's really depressing and really perturbing. I would say it's almost as dark as Raging Bull, Raging Bull is a lot less subtle, though.

Any thoughts on this year's Oscar nominees? http://oscar.go.com/nominees

As has been my habit for years now I haven't seen any of the nominated movies at the theater... I do like to catch the awards ceremony, however, just because I learn about films (mostly the foreign and independent ones) that don't get much advertising here in the States. If a movie catches my eye enough watching the ceremony I just end up waiting till it's available on DVD.

You?

PS - Is it just me, or is the surround sound level at a movie theater usually just way too loud? (If by some odd chance I do actually go out to the movies I take an earplug with me and plug one ear, the sound is so loud it literally hurts my ears.)

Oldman said:
Saw Wolf of Wall Street last night...til this morning. Totally unprepared for a 3 hour ego piece by Scorcese's adopted son.
There was much well appreciated nudity to break up the pacing, however.

I saw it too and movie qualities aside, realization that all of it actually happened (and is probably happening) in real life is mind boggling.

Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
Saw Wolf of Wall Street last night...til this morning. Totally unprepared for a 3 hour ego piece by Scorcese's adopted son.
There was much well appreciated nudity to break up the pacing, however.

Yes, amazing that they can steal like that and sleep at night. I guess all the drugs they took helped. The babes will keep you awake without a problem. The scene when Johnna Hill whips it out is pretty funny, too.

Tricycle Rider said:
Dude, I'm assuming you paid full price for your movie ticket. How much is it up there yonder in WA State nowadays?

Down here in Eugene it's at least $8.50, $6.50 for a matinee.

(I remember the days when a matinee used to be $2.25...)

over here in Europe the regular price for a three hour movie is something like 15 (2D) to 20$ (3D)

BigMac said:
Where do you live? I pay 4.50€ for a movie (2d), 8€ max for 3d (with glasses).

Germany. I just had a look, if I would watch the Wolf of Wall Street tomorrow evening the local Cinemaxx would charge me 12.50 EUR.

there are discounts on weekdays and for students of course, but that's the regular price

search said:
Germany. I just had a look, if I would watch the Wolf of Wall Street tomorrow evening the local Cinemaxx would charge me 12.50 EUR.

there are discounts on weekdays and for students of course, but that's the regular price

Then I guess it is comprehensible since lifestyle there is higher and so products are more expensive than southern european countries.

The Wolf of Wall Streets is 5.60€ (normal) in one of the most expensive cinemas in Lisbon.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
BigMac said:
Can someone do or find me a neutral review on The Tree of Life please? The ones I find are either atheist hatred or the opposite. Thanks in advance. :)

Did you take a look at imdb.com or rotten tomatoes ? There a loads of critics there.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Someone here uses http://www.icheckmovies.com/ ?

Besides grading movie's on IMDB, I love icheckmovies, because they have some many interesting lists with some "unknown" movies, where I already found some jewels.

Other bonus when you follow your friends, you are able to see which movie they check and sometimes it's useful to get opinions/get curious about it.

Edit - If you join and you have your ratings at IMDB, It has automatic synchronization.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
BigMac said:
Just signed up to the website. Seems lots of fun. :)

My username is ricardonovesete.

Awesome, you will not regret it :)

Looking forward to see your "checks".

I'm going to add you, my nickname is the usual one... Hugo87 :cool:

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
BigMac said:
Almost 1k checks mate! That's just insane. :p

Thanks for adding me and will have a nice time going through your checks.

Nah... But I'm a cinephile, thank you.

I just check movies that I watched from the beginning till the end and I have rated at IMDB, that's my personal rules. When I don't remember the full movie or I don't have it rated, I can't check it. :D

My guess you will become probably addicted to this website and try to stack some awards/prizes. :p

BigMac said:
I recomend those of you who have not already to watch Baraka and Koyaanisqatsi. Won't risk describing it, just witness these marvelous cinematographic and philosophic pieces by yourself. You won't regret it.

I recomend watching it using a home theater but if you can't, Baraka it on youtube with pretty good quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkZjwS7uMHo

Philip Glass man :cool:

Bit late I guess the Little White Lies review of Tree of Life sums it up quite eloquently.

http://www.littlewhitelies.co.uk/theatrical-reviews/the-tree-of-life-15546

Also, I watched The Double yesterday and thought it was pretty great.

Hugo87 said:
Nah... But I'm a cinephile, thank you.

I just check movies that I watched from the beginning till the end and I have rated at IMDB, that's my personal rules. When I don't remember the full movie or I don't have it rated, I can't check it. :D

My guess you will become probably addicted to this website and try to stack some awards/prizes. :p

You certainly are a cinephile. You divert from the mainstream and have watched films I have never heard about in my life. Lol.

TRENDING THREADS