• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No I had a copy on disc. I was collecting movies before downloads arrived on the scene. So often I don't need to look for downloads. I collected all four of the Paradjanov movies, haven't watched the rest of them yet. I also subscribe to HBO etc but it's becoming too expensive so that might get canned next year in favor of a cheaper offer elsewhere. The people in the movie were supposed to be Gutsuls from the mountains in western Ukraine but of course the borders in that part of the world have changed so many times who knows what their true origins were ? i like some of the music as well from that part of the world, of course the Slavic culture is an old and rich one especially literature and music. Maybe the film culture is not as interesting as it was before but searches turn up some gems from time to time. Same with literature.
Yes, Parajanov's background also was complicated - his parents were Armenian but he was born in Georgia, and then he had moved to Russia, and then after his imprisonment there to Ukraine. And of course all of those regions were part of the Soviet Union back then, so his artistic output had been watched and regulated by the suffocating Soviet regime. Speaking of which, there appear to be some fans of his on youtube, I found more of his movies (mercifully with English subtitles!) on YT. I'd have to be in the mood for them, but if anything I want to watch The Color of Pomegranates (1969), apparently the Soviets had a real problem with it. So I'm intrigued.

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget
Barbarella (1968) Sci Fi parody and so called camp classic. Mike Myers could have done wonders with this after he remade the 60s spy movies with Austin Powers also maybe Tim Burton. Jane Fonda looks great as expected. The music is mostly awful and it wasn't very funny. Not the sort of thing to watch stoned or drunk. It's mostly silly. Not sure what happened at the end as I will never know !
Wait, are you saying you were STONED while watching Barbarella? Well, I never!

Just kidding, I tried to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey once while severely hungover, it was not a pleasant affair. Some movies are just meant to be watched while sober of mind.

Yes, Parajanov's background also was complicated - his parents were Armenian but he was born in Georgia, and then he had moved to Russia, and then after his imprisonment there to Ukraine. And of course all of those regions were part of the Soviet Union back then, so his artistic output had been watched and regulated by the suffocating Soviet regime. Speaking of which, there appear to be some fans of his on youtube, I found more of his movies (mercifully with English subtitles!) on YT. I'd have to be in the mood for them, but if anything I want to watch The Color of Pomegranates (1969), apparently the Soviets had a real problem with it. So I'm intrigued.
Yes he was also friends with Tarkovsky who was another one of the Soviet era greats.

Maps To The Stars (2015) Not a bad film but a mediocre David Cronenberg film. Messed up people doing messed up things in Hollyweird. If you look hard you might find a likeable character. The final act is kind of a relief and you are expecting things to go pear shaped. A few laughs but not many, all too believable.

Decoding Annie Parker (2013) Story about the search for the inherited breast cancer gene and one woman's battle with her own family's cancer history. Not a bad movie, not too sentimental by Hollywood standards but I think it was a bit of a missed opportunity considering the material they had to work with. Samantha Morton's performance as Annie elevated the film and overcame some of the movie of the week cliches.

This one is a bit different... I like to watch Abroad in Japan on YT because the host is amusing, he has a really good rapport with his guests, and the series is informative if you're interested in Japan. One of his frequent guests is Natsuki, that guy is such a unique and affable character. It helps if you've seen Abroad in Japan before, but even if not, and you have some time to kill, here's a doc they've made called Natsuki: The Movie (2018) that is worth a watch. In it Natsuki for the first time ever visits London and then Paris, it's a real hoot.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLWZBeX-isM&ab_channel=AbroadinJapan

Last edited:
Rewatched The Verdict (1982) - I didn't really care for the happy ending, I'm not sure what the jury had based their verdict on being they had to disregard the former nurse's testimony. Evidently the script had been rewritten several times, an alternate ending would have been that the movie ended right after Newman had given his closing statement, so the verdict would have been left up in the air. I would have preferred that. Also, some reviews brought up some good points - like, why would they pay Laura off with a traceable check, why not cash? If Newman had traceable proof that the case had been compromised and tampered with by the defendant's lawyers not only would there have to be a mistrial, but said lawyers would probably have been disbarred and maybe even have been sent to jail. You would think shady lawyers would know better...

Aside from that though it's still a very good courtroom drama, the acting is quite good and I'll always remember Newman's unique looking office. That window especially.

Rewatched The Verdict (1982) - I didn't really care for the happy ending, I'm not sure what the jury had based their verdict on being they had to disregard the former nurse's testimony. Evidently the script had been rewritten several times, an alternate ending would have been that the movie ended right after Newman had given his closing statement, so the verdict would have been left up in the air. I would have preferred that. Also, some reviews brought up some good points - like, why would they pay Laura off with a traceable check, why not cash? If Newman had traceable proof that the case had been compromised and tampered with by the defendant's lawyers not only would there have to be a mistrial, but said lawyers would probably have been disbarred and maybe even have been sent to jail. You would think shady lawyers would know better...

Aside from that though it's still a very good courtroom drama, the acting is quite good and I'll always remember Newman's unique looking office. That window especially.
I liked it mainly because of the acting by Mason and Newman. I think Newman's plea for decency in his closing statement was what was supposed to have persuaded the jury. It was a pretty good version of the book which was written by an ex lawyer. Charlotte Rampling's character was more interesting in the book but I liked her performance, Newman's sidekick was also good Jack Warden. The judge was all too believable.

The Lords Of Salem (2012). A more restrained effort from Rob Zombie's usual efforts. The first half was good but it fell away towards the end by resorting to cliches. Still it had atmosphere, was visually outstanding and the acting was generally pretty good . A move towards a more classic horror film than Zombie's usual carnival and hillbilly horror. More atmosphere than scares.

Waterworld (1995) - The fewer words spoken about this one the better. However, why would Dennis Hopper have ever agreed to playing such a stupid role? Was it for the money? (Prolly)

Airport 1977 (1977) - As disaster movies go, with some real big names, this is probably one of the better ones.

Waterworld (1995) - The fewer words spoken about this one the better. However, why would Dennis Hopper have ever agreed to playing such a stupid role? Was it for the money? (Prolly)

Airport 1977 (1977) - As disaster movies go, with some real big names, this is probably one of the better ones.
Agree Waterworld was dire but some think now that it's sort a cult movie ! Airport was okay. Disaster movies are kind of fun to watch but none of them are great. Earthquake and The Poseidon Adventure were two of my favourites from the seventies.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Watched 2011"Horrible Bosses" again. Not a great movie but a good venue for free-lancing and some great gags. It's raining heavily here now after 2 weeks of wildfire smoke indoor isolation. Entertainment suffered after the Tour and World's broadcasts aren't interesting until the Road Races for me. And I have poor taste in comedies.

Watched 2011"Horrible Bosses" again. Not a great movie but a good venue for free-lancing and some great gags. It's raining heavily here now after 2 weeks of wildfire smoke indoor isolation. Entertainment suffered after the Tour and World's broadcasts aren't interesting until the Road Races for me. And I have poor taste in comedies.
We went through the smoke season in Australia last summer. Worst fire season ever.Some places have had fires, floods plus the Covid shutdown all in one year.

I saw this when it first came out (took a rare trip to an actual theater because my visiting nephew wanted to see it), I don't remember it being particularly bad. I think it had some funny moments, Jennifer Aniston does have good comedic timing.

We had the very bad smoke here for over a week, the air was extremely unhealthy. It was just unnerving not even being able to open a window, thankfully it's been raining on and off for a week now.

Last edited:
Rewatched This is England (2006), I haven't seen the sequels yet, but the original is very good. It's pretty grim though, I felt so bad for the little kid. I'm rarely impressed with child actors, but at only thirteen he was very good. I thought maybe he was one of those actors who is actually 25 but looks about 6...

I will watch the sequels, apparently the gang went from being skinheads to dressing like mods, and then later ravers. It sounds pretty wild.