• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movistar Tactics

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I thought Nairo should have sat up on the descent, regrouped for the final. It seemed like a big waste of energy for 10-15k descending there. Hopefully they'll ride smarter tomorrow.

What do you think?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Hayabusa said:
He should have attacked on the final climb in hindsight, he could have matched Porte. Attacking early was foolish as he's strong than Valverde and now he's too far back to be a serious threat to Sky in my opinion.

Maybe his goal this year is KOM.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
spalco said:
I agree, but I don't think it matters much, Froome is on another level this year. Quintana is so young, by trying and failing he'll learn how to do it better, he doesn't need to be perfect yet. And he may well podium anyway.

Movistar said the same thing, Quintana still learning the ropes I'm sure the DS will review this stage and tell him "next time listen to me and you'll get the win". The DS said they let him go for it but they chalked it up as a lesson learned.

Two weeks to go so his next attempt he just might do it or will know how to gauge it better.

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I liked the initial move, put Sky under pressure, work them over a bit. When the gap started closing fast, he should have sucked down a couple more colas and grabbed Porte's wheel.:D

I thought Nairo attacked a) to see what would happen, and b) to help Piti once he'd also attacked out of the bunch.

Kennaugh and Porte just going too fast for them today, but I guess going from a long way out is their (and everyone else's) only hope now, so we can expect more of the same.

Vino's Mum said:
I thought Nairo attacked a) to see what would happen, and b) to help Piti once he'd also attacked out of the bunch.

Kennaugh and Porte just going too fast for them today, but I guess going from a long way out is their (and everyone else's) only hope now, so we can expect more of the same.

Long distance is the correct model, but we need to see other teams committing a top resource as well: Saxo, Belkin etc.

Wheelsucking all the way will not get the job done.

He should have waited until the last climb to attack or follow wheels. But we say that now after the facts, really.

Besides, we didn't know how strong the Sky duo was, and how bad the Spanish armada was either. At the end of the day Valverde benefited from it and got better results from the rest of the pack. And at the same time Nairo learned from his attack in the Tour.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
If Unzue mind is the single obstacle Sky has to achieve another 1-2 Brailsford can start preparing the Paris party after the TDF:D

Hopefully he can use Nairo effectively but... his record speaks for itself:(

Escarabajo said:
He should have waited until the last climb to attack or follow wheels. But we say that now after the facts, really.

Besides, we didn't know how strong the Sky duo was, and how bad the Spanish armada was either. At the end of the day Valverde benefited from it and got better results from the rest of the pack. And at the same time Nairo learned from his attack in the Tour.

lol, we need another 10 top Colombian climbers here to put a dent in the Froome/Porte dominance.

Seriously, had Quintana wheelsucked the Sky train on the last climb and tried to attack with 3-5km to go, Froome would have followed, shelled him and the stage would have been pretty dull.

The biggest issue was the poor level of the Spanish captains.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Nairo is at the Tour as a helper. He did his job nicely as he made Sky work early and could still help his leader up the last climb. Gesink actually tried to do the very same thing. To me Sky duo were the winners, when Belkin duo were good, Roman was good and Movistar were impressive. The tactics by Movistar is what the others have to follow now.
on wishfull thinking mode: Movistar, Belkin and Saxo can send their second best (ten dam, nairo or roman) on the attack early in the hard stages to come (maybe some stage hunters of the now many do follow). Then sky boys have to work. Then 3rd week comes...

There were no such things as Movistar Tactics. Quintana's attack was not exactly preddicted. Unzué told him he has free will and is not bound to any team duties, he leaves when he wants, simple as that. At least until todays stage.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Pulpstar said:
But his attack allowed Valverde to just sit on the wheel and forced Sky to chase harder than they otherwise might - alot were dropped - And Valverde is now sitting 3rd.

I also thought Movistar had a good plan and executed it well, today.

Quintana's attack and Sky's chase got rid of nearly every contender n the first climb, or tired them to the point they were completely neutralized for the finishing climb.

Tejay had a horrible day trying to match pace. Quintana now appears to be a near lock for white unless his TT's are as bad as some people think they will be.

Froome and Sky are just superior this year. If they don't pee positive only a crash of freak illness look to be able to stop him (them).

Valverde rode incredibly well, as did Quintana. When I read Valverde's claims of being able to achieve a podium spot prior to the tour, I scoffed. But, he and his team have shown up to race, and race well.

Much praise to Moviestar for taking the fight to Sky today, animating the stage, and earning the white jersey (as well as being tied for KoM points lead).

Given his relatively poor descending, an attack by Quintana tomorrow would be a clear sign that he is in France to help Valverde, and maybe nab both white and polka dots.

Dazed and Confused said:
lol, we need another 10 top Colombian climbers here to put a dent in the Froome/Porte dominance.

Seriously, had Quintana wheelsucked the Sky train on the last climb and tried to attack with 3-5km to go, Froome would have followed, shelled him and the stage would have been pretty dull.

The biggest issue was the poor level of the Spanish captains.
I never said that would not have happened. He just would have fared a lot better. Maybe around Porte's performance or even drag Valverde closer to the Sky duo.

Don't you think he would have been closer to Froome???

Quintana's descending was actually pretty good, considering the guy weighs less than 60 kg and the descent was not technical at all. Weight played a far greater factor than descending skill, and he probably was not even putting out as much effort as Rolland was.

Panda Claws said:
Quintana's descending was actually pretty good, considering the guy weighs less than 60 kg and the descent was not technical at all. Weight played a far greater factor than descending skill, and he probably was not even putting out as much effort as Rolland was.
That's what I was talking about: nobody said he was the fastest descender - technically he's pretty good.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:

it's too bad quintana attacked from so long range. He could've been matched froome *well we don't know now don't we?* or at least porte. Possible put 2 movistar for podium spot. Too bad, too bad. what a waste of energy. Valverde didn't have the leg to match sky but he was better than the rest. I guess, tonight he would have said.. coulda woulda shoulda.. ow well, hopefully he attacked when it counts. Valverde should share leadership with Quintana.

TRENDING THREADS