• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Muscle cramps after exercise

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Just seeking some advice on muscle cramps/charlie horse issues with my calf muscles. I will go out and train on the bike and be just fine with no cramps but when I go to bed later on I will sometimes get massive charlie horse cramps in one or both calf muscles. This happens with no warning and usually after I've been on the bed for awhile. After I wake up and work the cramps out I'm okay but sore for a day or two.

When I get back on the bike I still do not get the cramps, only after exercise. Any advice is appreciated.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
cramps

electrolyte imbalance, dehydration, Magnesium deficiency, calcium deficiency, potassium deficiency, weak muscles, are all possibilities.
My most common cause is Magnesium so I take a 1:1 mix of calcium/ magnesium. (Cal/mag) or about 225 grams of each every day. eat bananas and drink enough fluids.

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Beware self-diagnosing vitamin and mineral deficiences - excess through supplementation can often be toxic. Natural foods are a far more effective source of both, unless you have a serious, medically-diagnosed deficiency. Replacing lost fluids after a ride with electrolytes is important.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
It will be interesting to see if I get the dreaded cramps tonight. I did 68 miles on the mountain bike in 92 degree heat. I ran out of food, water, and electrolytes. Although I did have a good time. The experimentation will continue....

Start with Bananas (potassium); this is the most common deficiency that leads to cramping. You can not OD on bananas. However, post exercise cramping may not be due to a mineral deficiency. It happens frequently to people who have undergone high intensity endurance exercise.