• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Music! What are you listening to now?

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cobblestoned said:
So, Zam_Olyas, lets come back to that serious and strange issue regarding "Friday", written by whoever.... :D

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=724990&postcount=7955
During a youtube-dylan-session I found the song "Friday", allegedly done and sung by Bob Dylan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrtv1fQOBZg&feature=player_detailpage
Never noticed that song before, and somehow the lyrics were strange and not really demanding (ok, you can interprete a lot into everything, if you want to ) and not really Dylan-like. Singing about partying, partying yeah etc....
But I could swear that the guy singing was Dylan, while I somehow think it is simple to imitate Bob and his style, if voice is somehow similar and if the imitator is a good one and has some music and drugs in his blood

Anyway.....somehow I liked listening to the song, especially on Fridays. :p
Then confusion started when I noticed comments "not Dylan, blabla".
It seems to be a myth, many differnet opinions and "facts", and some guys really fooled? around and put a lot energy into it. Of course, in the internets, you don't see if someone is smiling or bluffing. Ok, it's called "fake" I think.
Many different titles or names for the same song.

"Friday" by Bob dylan
Rebecca Black's "Friday" performed by Bob Dylan
Rebecca Black singing Friday, written by Bob Dylan
Rebecca Black with Bob Dylan
(just found) FRIDAY: The Byrds Original of the Bob Dylan Song (as covered by Rebecca Black)
etc.
LMAO

Internet is filled with this myth and its something like a running gag or never solved myth. It seemed to be a perfect issue for conspiracy-theoretics and all the experts.

The TRUTH about the Bob Dylan song "Friday (Get Down)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx8Q8Vj1juw&feature=fvwrel

Some even did a very convincing, deeper analysis-video into the song and its lyrics......was praised for putting so much energy into that work, or just fake.
Saw comments that this song was allegedly written and sung by a person called "Rebecca Black"....
Thought, ok, cool name, perhaps a classic lady from 60s or something...somehow the name sounded familiar...
Song not listed on Bob's website. Ok, Bob perhaps did a nice cover, was a possibility
Then noticed that Mrs.Black was mocked everywhere and that she even has many haters. Strange.

having a closer look, I found out, that she is not a classic singer or star, but just a modern time one-hit-internet-wonder with a self written song (don't know the background of that competition) - for sure she is really a target for trolls and haters. Mocked everywhere, also with help of the song and this issue. :D

Then listened to Rebecca's "version". Cruel, a torture, but definately same lyrics....
People, please, I can just advice you urgently, not to do this. No. NO. Never.
Won't even link it. I hate it and can really understand parts of all that hate.

Status of my knowledge right now is, that

- she really did this song, and some Dylan imitator did his own version
- this is running joke or fake, going on and on....
- many people put a lot of energy into bashing Mrs. Black, mostly in a funny way
- Mrs Black really caused a lot of pain with her "version"....like many other modern songs or artists...perhaps a little bit more like I am used to it when forced to listen to that crap accidently....perhaps even more than "Geronimo"...

Interesting, isn't it. I stop now.
What do you think/know ? :p
yea, people have lotsa times. It didnt fool me at all from the begining and i would like to think i know all of bobby's song.

hrotha said:
I can't stop listening to this song.
None More Black - Backpedal

Hey. A song about cycling! :D Not bad.

auscyclefan94 said:
Empty Space - Powderfinger

Yes I know I post a lot of songs from this band but they released a new song on their Greatest Hits Album, Footprints. There is a really nice song called Empy Space which is an alternative, acoustic rock song. Lyrics very appropriate considering their split.

Great song I had not heard. Just curious though, to which split are you referring?

gustienordic said:
Are there any Indie fans around? The Shins, MGMT, Broken Bells, Bloc Party, Fleet Foxes?

Well besides me I know of several others. I posted MGMT earlier. I like some Shins. I never heard of Fleet Foxes... will have to check them out. Here are a few of my favorite Bloc Party and Broken Bells...
BLOC PARTY:
Banquet
Signs

BROKEN BELLS:
The high road
The ghost inside

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Great song I had not heard. Just curious though, to which split are you referring?

Powderfinger split mid last year. Before they released their 7th studio album Golden Rule, Fanning decided he wanted to split and I think most of the others didn't want to but they couldn't really do it without Fanning. A biography on the Band has been released alongside the album and it seems to make clear that Fanning was behind the split. The rest of the band seemed ****ed that Fanning made the band go on a 4 year hiatus after their 5th studio album Vulture Street as he went onto make a solo album which was very successful. Fanning is currently living in Spain with his wife writing his own music and the others are left wondering what they are going to do with their lives. Real shame tbh but their last two albums weren't that successful compared to some of their earlier album and they seemed to argue a lot in those years.

gustienordic said:
Are there any Indie fans around? The Shins, MGMT, Broken Bells, Bloc Party, Fleet Foxes?

I'm an indie fan.

Beat Happening, Field Mice, Belle and Sebastian, The Smiths, Television Personalities, Mountain Goats, Deerhoof.

And since we've had Editors AND She Wants Revenge posted recently... sorry, but Joy Division were there first, and those bands are weak versions of Interpol who themselves are a weak version of Joy Division. That doesn't mean they can't still be good - after all, Joy Division were phenomenal. But they will never be, can never be, Joy Division.

I'm getting treated today. Beth Gibbons, Nick Cave, Anthony and the Johnsons :) :). In addition, the new Tom Waits and Bjork albums landed on my doorstep :D.

Don't mind a bit of Indie (whatever that is) myself: Fleet Foxes, Smiths, Sparks, Joy Division, Portishead, The Cure, Flaming Lips, Super Furry Animals (pretty loose definition).

Anyway, Anthony and the Johnsons lead me to my favourite "folk" band, who are releasing an album of covers of Anthony and the Johnsons and Robert Wyatt. So here are The Unthanks and Robert Wyatt himself.

Robert Wyatt - Sea Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cWq3mIp4cU

The Unthanks - The Testimony of Patience Kershaw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmhACB1ZPQM&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL81A1FDE060797F65

The Unthanks - Starless (I posted the King Crimson original some time back, no all out existential instrumental here though, just the song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7p49EwkmkI

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
huh, what's going on with me, have i lost indie?
wanted to select some songs, but as i won't post one single track (ha!) that i don't honestly admire..
and all i found would at least as much fit into 'versions of the big depressing masterpieces'..
hopefully not weak, but unique :p

bright eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pno9BrK8iI&feature=related

ween
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj_Wi--TTVw&feature=related

..i'm currently into singer songwriter folk blues underground country jazz!

and certainly ghost&haunting, as i learned lately ;)
just recovered matt bauer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV73BFTxF6U

jazz is essential. from bebop/hard bop (representative: john coltrane) to john zorn,
and those who played his compositions, i love most.

and i even start to feel for SOUL!
but i'm not familiar with, recommends would be welcome!
can be old, can be new, just has to be good.

found this because of the soul kitchen soundtrack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyFZggfBan8&feature=related

by the way, if you're bored by all the talking and want strictly music links, tell me, and i will delete.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
During my suspension I've been giving some attention to this thread an have noticed that there is an abundant lack of electro around here. I'm going to change this.

As a student, I accumulated a rather large collection of electronical music, I'll be sharing my favorites with you in this thread.

Here's a first track for you guys:

Slam - Bright Lights are Fading (Death in Vegas remix)

Totally f*cking awesome. Enjoy.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
fedaia said:
and i even start to feel for SOUL!
but i'm not familiar with, recommends would be welcome!
can be old, can be new, just has to be good.

Something old (1959)
Bobby "Blue" Bland - I'll Take Care of You (I posted Mark Lanegan's version a couple of pages back)

Something old'ish (1972)
Bill Withers - Who Is He and What Is He to You

Something new (2011)
Raphael Saadiq - Heart Attack

All fabulous! And I'm not a soulman at all.

Oh well, back to my usual whiny misery:

American Music Club - Jesus' Hands
Tarnation - Game of Broken Hearts

And I wanted to post the duet Rhymes of Goodbye featuring Mark Eitzel (lead singer of aforementioned AMC) and Paula Frazer (lead singer of Tarnation) but couldn't find it, so here's Scott Walker's own version. It's lovely too, although there's some cracks here and there in the video.

TRENDING THREADS