• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Music! What are you listening to now?

Page 278 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

aphronesis said:
blutto said:
....here is a two-fer.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh9Q6BGGU50

Nickelback - Sharp Dressed Man 2007 Live Video

Cheers

Zz top were a good band once. Also felled by the 80s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QNCM8IjtQ-o

crue were never good. maybe half effort for the first album

....the latest thing from Gibbons is kinda interesting.....never warmed up to Crue I'm afraid.....was as much as anything a case of being was too busy collecting and listening to other stuff ( I mean there are millions of records and only one of me....like I still have about a 1000 records I haven't listened to... )....that being said, had managed to successfully avoid AC/DC until a friend insisted I watch a video of one of their concerts....walked away impressed, so there might be hope for me yet....

Cheers

63fdf73b2b9badec6db945d4b2c0cd09.jpg

I couldn't stand the Crue. But that was sociological. As w/ Dio, Ozzy, etc. And the production and playing sucked.

The Cars were a descent into seriousness though: those tracks were visionary.

The Knack? prepubescence so it gets a mild pass.

AC/DC didn't make it past the first Johnson album. You might like the live 70s album though.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

aphronesis said:
I couldn't stand the Crue. But that was sociological. As w/ Dio, Ozzy, etc. And the production and playing sucked.

The Cars were a descent into seriousness though: those tracks were visionary.

The Knack? prepubescence so it gets a mild pass.

....about Crue and that period....at first glance nicely tailored product, videos were interesting....GnR from kinda sorta the same school got more of my attention....it helped pass the time, when time needed to be passed....as did Van Halen....bottom line, they were all designed for arena rock, the big money maker at the time...

Cheers

Re:

aphronesis said:
Not the anti-virtuosity argument. I always wanted to give you more credit than that.

Won't argue Faust.
It's not about the virtuosity. I like fricking Van der Graaf Generator. It's about the music feeling like it's going somewhere. Somewhere along the way - the production has a lot to do with this, but the transition towards the big hair metal sound is there as well - we seemed to lose virtuosity for the sake of adding to the song in favour of virtuosity for its own sake; I like a good riff or hook that just sounds a bit wrong, that keeps you on your toes. Those bands that sound like they're on the edge of falling apart but somehow are tight enough to keep it together, they to me have a much stronger feel than a band that sounds overproduced and polished by ten layers of stadium sheen. You'll never hear me argue that Eddie van Halen wasn't a great guitarist, but the band are just so cheesy, so tacky, and so much of it so predictable too, I just can't enjoy that stuff. At the other end of the scale, lots of stuff goes past the level of hitting the right mix of danger and discord with energy and songwriting, goes straight through punk aggression and drive, and arrives at pure charlatanry. You sure as hell aren't going to find me extolling the virtues of GG Allin and the Murder Junkies any time soon either. People like the Cows or the Jesus Lizard have the musical chops to produce something that keeps you on your toes (interesting use of time signatures, accenting everything on the guitar with the snare to drive the song forward, cross-rhythms, use of unusual melody or rhythm) while simultaneously matching it with energy in spades. The Replacements and Hüsker Dü just wrote great energetic pop songs, and writing a good pop song is an art in and of itself.

And thankfully, with it the era of hair metal. But the principle remains the same to this day. I'd rather listen to something simple but interesting than something complex but boring. To me, Neil Young is a more exciting guitarist than Yngwie Malmsteen, but Yngwie is obviously technically more gifted. It's not because Young is less technical that I like his work more, but because Yngwie's work is too perfect, too clinical, to really affect me. My favourite solo of all time is David Gilmour's in "Comfortably Numb" - not too simple, not too complex, but not a note out of place and a perfect melding of the solo to the song.

I'm also neither American nor able to remember the likes of VH and the Crue the first time around, so I neither have any real feeling for whatever impact that scene might have had at the time, nor have I been impacted by any nostalgic feeling towards the era. And my opinions might be tainted greatly by "Jump", which is very dated and lame, and lumped in commonly with the likes of "The Final Countdown".

TRENDING THREADS