• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Normally I don't listen to anything when I'm on the road but I find Warp Brothers to be effective to get primed. What kind of music do you guys listen to while riding and/or to get pumped up?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It really depends on my mood and what I'm having to do. The only time I listen to tunes when I ride is on the rollers/trainer.

If I'm just spinning, some Allman Brothers or Blues Traveler gets me through.

If intervals are called for, I need Iron Maiden or some Dio era Black Sabbath.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I listen to the CBS audio commentary from the 1987 to 1988 Tour de France's and 1988 Paris-Roubaix. It's awesome. Has Phil Ligget commentating, with background music from Yanni, John Tesh & Geoffrey Downes. Very motivational and upbeat.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
IPOD is standard now on any longer ride over 75km's, mostly have it on a bit of shuffle -but nothing like crunching a good climb with some hard rock in the ears.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Taniwha said:
Explosions in the sky, Mogwai, GYBE, The Mars Volta all work a treat, and Wilco and Golden Smog for just cruising along.

I really enjoy EITS, Mogwai and Godspeed, but I can't imagine any of those bands motivating me on the bike (except maybe the songs Christmas Steps and East Hastings). Way too mellow.

For cycling, I have to be listening to something fast - Aborted, Origin, Forstella Ford, Pig Destroyer, Converge, CTTS, The Death of Anna Karina, Neuraxis, Overcast, etc.

Albums longer than 40 minutes with a consistently fast tempo work well for me when I'm trying to keep the energy up.

By the way, check out Friends in the Mountains for more instrumental stuff in the vein of those three bands you mentioned. Stupid band name, but great music.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
DickRhee said:
I really enjoy EITS, Mogwai and Godspeed, but I can't imagine any of those bands motivating me on the bike (except maybe the songs Christmas Steps and East Hastings). Way too mellow.
LOL, I can understand that, but find the rhythm good for efforts, especially EITS's Those Who Tell the Truth, it just takes the mind off the effort.
I also find Mogwai's Killing all the Flies pretty good for increasing loads/sprints.

DickRhee said:
By the way, check out Friends in the Mountains for more instrumental stuff in the vein of those three bands you mentioned. Stupid band name, but great music.
I will, cheers for that!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Geezer

Stuff by Banky Banks, Van Morrison, Rodney Crowell and Jerry Jeff Walker keep my mind off the fact that I should be hurting more during tempo rides. These boys will tip you off to my age. Whatever works for you............!

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I make playlists

I don't listen to music when I ride on the road, but I make up playlists for the trainer to help me focus. I tend to vary the tempo and type of music based on the length and type of workout I am doing. Here is a playlist for a work out for an hour or so. This one starts out fasts and then switches tempo a few times and finishes with some easy spinning.

Let it Rock Kevin rudolph
Disturbia Rihanna
So What Pink
Into the Night Santana
It's my Life Bon Jovi
U+Ur Hand PinRock you like a Hirricane Scorpions
Holiday/Boulevard of Broken Dreams Green Day
Love Story Taylor Swift
Big Girl's don't Cry Fergie
Radio Nowhere Springsteen
Rockstar Nickelback
Stadium Spongebo Square Pants (30 seconds at 120 rpm's )
It's not my time 3 doors down
Viva La Vida Cold play
Bad Day Daniel Powter
I like to move it Madagacar, the movie version
Cruella De vil Selena Gomea
Stop and Stare One Republic
Pocketful of Sunshine Natasha Bedingfield
Kyptomite 3 Doors Down
Pon de Replay Rihanna
Hot N Cold Katy Perry
Somewhere Over the Rainbow AB+
Hey there Delilah Plain White T's
Makes me Wonder Maroon 5
Girl from Mars Ash
Chemicals React Aly & AJ
It's not over Daughtry
Cold Fire Rush
Aplogize Timbaland

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Don't listen while riding in the city, but when I'm out in the country, and have a few hard climbs up the road, you can't go wrong with The Black Keys. You can't not want to push yourself when "I Got Mine" is playing.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I usually listen to trance tunes. Kimito-Subrunner, Armin van Buuren-Rush Hour, ATB-Marrakech, Solarstone-Seven Cities, Majera-Velvet Sun are some of my favorite 'cycling training' tunes

Dogzilla - Frozen is my fav... But Van Roetzel, TIESTO,etc are good.

Rammstein too when going all out... 20 min Threshold repeats make me go to sleep on a hot day or on climbs. But for the VO2 max repeats I need some Rammstein Zerstoren...

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn´t dare listening to music while on the road- isn´t that a certain recipe for disaster? While spinning it´s abother matter, however I´m not so keen on the generic techno that most gyms seem to prefer.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Rammstein is my fav for getting through intervals esp. Laichzeit, and have recently got into another German band - Eisbrecher. Only problem is I have a tendency to want to sing along!

Recently started playing podcasts - Cadence Revolution is good.

If I'm just out for a cruise or recovery ride I love having the Hell on Wheels (Hollentour) soundtrack and remember the bits in the movie where the music plays.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Merckx said:
Normally I don't listen to anything when I'm on the road but I find Warp Brothers to be effective to get primed. What kind of music do you guys listen to while riding and/or to get pumped up?

Jerry Lee Lewis. The real Killer.

TRENDING THREADS