• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Must lance work for alberto in tdf90??

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Contador's early form says he is a must as leader, so it all depends on Lance with his form and if he is willing to work for Alberto, other option is to go into the tour as dual leaders and let the road decide.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
lookkg386 said:
Contador's early form says he is a must as leader, so it all depends on Lance with his form and if he is willing to work for Alberto, other option is to go into the tour as dual leaders and let the road decide.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Will be interesting to see starting at who gets the #x1 race number. Usually he is the team leader for the race. After that and the first week in the mountains should indicate who will be working for who.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Flamme Rouge said:
Will be interesting to see starting at who gets the #x1 race number. Usually he is the team leader for the race. After that and the first week in the mountains should indicate who will be working for who.

ummm, Sastre will have #1;) , but I know what you mean, probably be #21...

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
But not is only the dorsal number; The huge thing is if CONTA is going to have the confident in LANCE and others during the race, and thats means if he is going to be cover, helped by the currents scapes and other incidents and overall if he is going to be helped in the climbig to clinch others contenders
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Hey new to the forum so hello first of all but really how many times say in the last 3 years have we heard about dual leaders on teams and sometimes the uneasiness that brings as I am sure the Sastre may not have liked the Schleks being other options by Bjarne. Seriously I think dual leaders philosophy is just a ruse to say we have other options if our designated leader fails. I think Contador should lead on Lances form thus far but who is to say that a great performance in the Giro will not dictate otherwise. But man jokingly would Lance be the best Dom ever!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Was AC even walking for the TdF90 ;)

I think realisiticly Lance will be the show, but Contador will be the go.

They will start climbs with 5 guy in the front, just like they did for Lance in the Disco days, on the hills that take the long slug it will be Lance that burns them off, while Contrador will explode again and again... this tactic will more likely see him gain time on the other climbers which will see him becoming more the leader

It is goo d to have options though

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
I think Johan is being a lot of carefully about this dilemma. He has to manage better this situation. There are a lot of spanish riders Astana that decline Contador as a leader. there are alot of respect and admiration for Lance but AC is present and future; Lance is a Legend

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
"EL PISTOLERO" said:
I think Johan is being a lot of carefully about this dilemma. He has to manage better this situation. There are a lot of spanish riders Astana that decline Contador as a leader. there are alot of respect and admiration for Lance but AC is present and future; Lance is a Legend
:):):):rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
At first I thought it had to be Contandor - so long as he could fight his fear that Armstong would be no 1 and refrain from peaking too early.

Now I am much more cynical. Contandor I think is being used in Paris Nice to test what the tester can spot. That means he is the sacrificial lamb. Its Lance that's King. So Lance intends to win the tour and probably the giro as well. Contandor is therefore testing the doping for him. So whatever Contandor thinks he is the second string.

Lance can still mess it up but his timing and preparation have always been superb. Two big tours will be completely new for him - so even doped he could blow it. He may try to do the giro not doped just so he has more in reserve?? He will know what condition he used to be in after a doped tour and have a good idea what will be needed for the Giro with a Tour to follow. Just my view.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Lance working for Alberto in any GT? Never.

Contador has a ride to win mentality.
Armstrong has a ride to be ruthless mentality.
Bruyneel/Astana is Armstrong's puppet.

It's a classic example of age and treachery besting youth and (comparative) inexperience; Contador is being played, pobrecito.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
So question. first major climb of tour, no major time differences yet in GC. Lance and Alberto away together with a couple of major contenders, no other Astana help and team car well behind, one of them has a mechanical. I just can not see Lance waiting for Contador and god forbid giving up his bike, I just can't see it!, yet on the other hand reverse the roles and Alberto waiting for Lance seems much more plausable.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
lookkg386 said:
So question. first major climb of tour, no major time differences yet in GC. Lance and Alberto away together with a couple of major contenders, no other Astana help and team car well behind, one of them has a mechanical. I just can not see Lance waiting for Contador and god forbid giving up his bike, I just can't see it!, yet on the other hand reverse the roles and Alberto waiting for Lance seems much more plausable.

Contador won't wait. Even if Bruyneel orders him to.
I think people here forget the fact that Contador has already won the big 3 and a ****load of smaller rounds.

After last years Vuelta he even critisised Leipheimer for being so close to him in the GC, something that wouldn't be possible according to Alberto if Levi had put his full effort into being his domestique.

With a personality like that and the wins to back it up you're not gonna wait for anyone on a climb.

It's all about who's gonna react first to a serious attack in the mountains. I think the order will be: Popo, Kloden, Armstrong, Leipheimer, Contador.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Contador won't wait. Even if Bruyneel orders him to.
I think people here forget the fact that Contador has already won the big 3 and a ****load of smaller rounds.

After last years Vuelta he even critisised Leipheimer for being so close to him in the GC, something that wouldn't be possible according to Alberto if Levi had put his full effort into being his domestique.

With a personality like that and the wins to back it up you're not gonna wait for anyone on a climb.

It's all about who's gonna react first to a serious attack in the mountains. I think the order will be: Popo, Kloden, Armstrong, Leipheimer, Contador.

Maybe thats the whole story;) All the whyning and the team had enough of it! Thats the reason he will never fill Lances shoes! Lance did not whine! He destroyed his rivals on the road!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if Alberto is being played, but agree that the dynamics of Lance's team director and Levi being in the same team with Lance and Alberto have to come into play. After 7 tour victories with Lance their ingrained response is to make it work for him, not the new guy, not matter how good the new guy is. They know how to get lance to #1, and the team was built around what it takes to do that. Even if Alberto is better (and personally I think he is), the team has not had 7 victories to figure out how to make the most of his talent.

The tension is inevitable - see the thread with the twitter link where Lance says Alberto has "a lot to learn." If I was the Spanish one I would be pretty ****ed about that.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
skidmark said:
If I were Brunyeel, I'd put the 'x1' jersey on Rubiera at the Tour just to keep people guessing (and to shut up people who would take the giving of the numbers waay too seriously)

they will give lance x1 and claim it's just in alphabetical order

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
If they gave it to Alberto they could say the same :))

Some how I do not think it will be that pretty and Astana may end up shooting themselves in the foot with the tension, I just can't wait to find out! The big problem is the stages are on TV from 10 pm to 2 am here, which is a hard graft for 3 weeks!

TRENDING THREADS